Help with the 1700's

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Help with the 1700's

Post by 1vinnie »

I have traced my Palermo roots back to 1750. My understanding is that for anything for that time one must go to church records. Do you think it would successful to solicit the churches themselves to see if they can search their records for specific families or would I have to go the churches and search through old records books?

Now that I have exhausted indexes I am not sure where to go next to continue research.

Thanks Vince
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with the 1700's

Post by 1vinnie »

To be more clear I have searched and recorded all the indexed records from 1820-1895. I have reviewed indexes and individual docs. I am specifically looking in the city of Palermo.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What I would do is start getting the early marriage promises(banns) records from Family History Library on films the index have the dates and years and volume numbers. The early records have the name of the church they used to get married then you will have a place to start. Most of the time they use the same church
Im doing the exact same thing right now for Palermo sezione Sant'Agata
Im back to about 1740 with my 6x grandfather and need a church to go on any further
Example of marriage promise record

Marty Adelfio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 1vinnie »

What is the film number you are using? I can't find any films from Palermo that contain Banns.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Pavone Maria daughter of Natale Pavone and Sesto Sigismonda in Sezione Sant'Oliva Palermo July 3rd 1825 v. 057 n. 0098 married to La Cava Michela
Family History Library Film
SEZIONE SANT'OLIVA Matrimoni 1825-1827
FHL INTL Film 1441871

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 1vinnie »

WHat else do those show? The info you have is on the indexes which I have. Do those show the church or are you just looking at a marriage cert?
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 1vinnie »

Looking at the film number that appears to be an official marriage cert? Where do I find banns?

have you ever looked through the films that have church records like this?
Registri ecclesiastici di Palermo (Palermo), 1449-1894
author: Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchia Cattedrale (Palermo)

Thanks VInce
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Those early marriage acts are called atto della Solenne Promessa
e di celebrae il matrimonio they have the civil side on the left and church side on the right. I shouldn't have use the word banns
THe info on the record is bride and groom ages and profession both parents names and ages and professions if they where married before.
I ve looked at church records some are latin some are mixed Italian The problem is trying to find the right church in Palermo because of the sections of the city Sant Oliva, Sant Agata Sant Christina,Santa Ninfa..........THe marriage record I showed it is from Sant Agata section of Palermo its church on the record is San Nicolo ????I trying to find out what San Nicolo it is I cant make out the second part of the church

Marty

Marty

Marty