Cheek Pinching Saying/Translation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Cheek Pinching Saying/Translation

Post by EMTLP »

My Dad told me that when he was little his aunts would pinch his cheek and say something that sounded phonetically in English like "pixa keel". Does anyone know what it might have actually been in Italian and what it meant? I have searched online and came up with the word piccinal but I'm not sure how that would sound and if it is the correct term.
My Dad grew up in Waterbury, CT and his family was from Avigliano, Potenza, Italy.
I have a cute picture of my father doing this to my son and I want to add a caption but want it to be correct. Thanks, Eileen
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Re: Cheek Pinching Saying/Translation

Post by EMTLP »

A friend of mine said Pixa-keel sounds exactly like an Italian dish her neighbor used to make when she was a child. It was some type of beef/steak baked in the oven with tomato sauce. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

It sounds a little like "piccinin'" or "piccinina(o)" meaning tiny, which my Nonna used to say to me when I was a little. It was an affectionate term of endearment. Hope that helps. :-)
Grazie Patrizia
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

I think you might be right! I'll check with my Dad today. Thanks so much. Eileen :D :D :D
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Translation/ A Pinch without Laughter in Italian

Post by EMTLP »

My Father's cousin knew that "Picks-a-Keel" (how ever it is spelled) in Italian means
"A pinch without laughter". Can someone translate that into Italian? I'm not sure what it means. It must be a term of endearment. Any ideas?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

"pix-a-keel" sounds to me like "pizzechillo" ("little pinch" in Neapolitan). I think that is the correct meaning.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Ah, I think you are right! When my Dad's cousin said it yesterday, it sounded like pizza with something added but she didn't know how to spell it. She is in her eighties.
Thank you! :P :P :P
dbh2020

Post by dbh2020 »

My wife would pinch a child's cheek an say "pizzicato" it means pinch.