Delle Fave from Rodi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ddellefave

Delle Fave from Rodi

Post by ddellefave »

I'm brand new to the forum and have just begun searching for information on my grandfather. He was born Antonio Delle Fave in Rodi Garganico in 1897. He came to America in 1916. While I knew him, I never knew much about his family in Italy. I found his WWI draft card listing what may be his father's name (or his older brother). I looked on familysearch.org and found many Delle Fave's born in Rodi in the 1800s but I cannot find his birth record. Can anyone offer any advice on how to go about this? There are many Delle Fave's in Rodi today and I would love to find out if I'm related to any. Thank you!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Delle Fave from Rodi

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website. Where did Antonio settle in the US? What about wifes name? Did he marry in the US Did he have any brothers or sisters? There are some ship manifest with Antonio Delle Fave on it like one also in Jul 18, 1913 on the ship Barbarossa age 16.
Best is to get a base start on your research like the census and work you way back to find his town of origin.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If your info is correct on Antonio's town of birth Rodi Garganico
Then I would go Famliy History Library Film records of italian records available for viewing at any Family History Library for $5.50 for 90 days
Family History Library Locator in your area
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering film records
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... ory_Center
All about reading and translating Italian records
https://www.familysearch.org/learningce ... 22Italy%22
Films available from Rodi Garganico from FHL Civil registration of births, deaths, marriages, marriage banns
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Rodi+Garg++

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ddellefave

Post by ddellefave »

Thank you. That is him. I also found his WWI draft card. His draft card states he was born in Rodi as does the ship manifest. His father was Matteo Delle Fave. My grandfather settled in Hoboken, NJ and later to Waldwick, NJ. He married Angela Allocca here in the U.S. I believe she was from the Naples area but she died fairly young and I don't know much about her. I also know that his sister, Teresa Delle Fave and his brother Matteo were here before him.

I have found many Matteo Delle Fave's born in Rodi in the early to mid 1800's but I'm not sure how to determine which one is his father. Any suggestions?

I just saw your other post regarding Family History Library. There is a research center about 10 minutes from my house! I will try that and appreciate any other thoughts you might have. Thank you for your help!

-Dan
ddellefave

Post by ddellefave »

Marty,
Is it common for there to be gaps in birth records on the familysearch.org website? As I mentioned I can find plenty of Delle Fave's in early and mid 1800's but none in the 1880's or 1890's. Thanks.

-Dan
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Your best bet is to get the birth records from FHL and verify the parents and the mothers maiden name it will all so give the appox. ages. Then work you way back for the brothers and sisters than there parents marriage record
Here a italian birth record with english translation
Click for image keep clicking to increase image
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... Record.jpg

Marty

Marty
ddellefave

Post by ddellefave »

Ok. I'm going to try that. Thank you again for you help.
ddellefave

Post by ddellefave »

Marty,
I took your advice and ordered the microfilm from familysearch.org. Additionally, I found an email for the director of archives in Foggia. I wrote him and here is his response is below. My Italian is not great but is he indicating that he only has military records or that he searched the military records that would have contained information about my grandfather's birth? Thank you.

-Dan

Archivio di Stato di Foggia ✆
10:23 AM (5 hours ago)

Si comunica che sono state effettuate ricerche tra i registri dei fogli matricolari militari relativi agli anni 1897, 1898 e 1899 ma non è stato rinvenuto quello del suo avo.
Cordiali saluti
Il Direttore
dr. Viviano Iazzetti
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

ddellefave wrote:Marty,
I took your advice and ordered the microfilm from familysearch.org. Additionally, I found an email for the director of archives in Foggia. I wrote him and here is his response is below. My Italian is not great but is he indicating that he only has military records or that he searched the military records that would have contained information about my grandfather's birth? Thank you.

-Dan

Archivio di Stato di Foggia ✆
10:23 AM (5 hours ago)

Si comunica che sono state effettuate ricerche tra i registri dei fogli matricolari militari relativi agli anni 1897, 1898 e 1899 ma non è stato rinvenuto quello del suo avo.
Cordiali saluti
Il Direttore
dr. Viviano Iazzetti

THey search for miltary records for the years 1897-1899 and nothing was found

Marty

Marty
MateoDelFave

Post by MateoDelFave »

Hi, Folks... stumbled onto this thread while digging into my own family lineage. And for what its worth, my grandfather Fred DelFave, came over to the U.S. from Rodi or Foggia in 1905, and settled in Rochester, NY, near his sister Michelina. My father Pasquale was one of his children, who included Michael, Joseph, Charles and Phyllis and another sister, whose name eludes me. I also understand that I was named after a distant cousin who died in WWI. These days I live in northern California, but the last name, even with the various spellings, is uncommon enough that we are all likely related somehow. Let me know if any questions or I can be of any further help.
Cheers, -Mathew DelFave