How would you record adoptive parents?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Squigy
Master
Master

How would you record adoptive parents?

Post by Squigy »

On my visit up to PA, I was showing my grandmother my family tree, and then we got to her grandmother (who was adopted) and she saw that I didn't have anyone listed as her parents. She wasn't offended per se, but she just didn't understand why I didn't list her adopted parents as such on my tree.

Now I'm sending my uncle (her brother) an invitation to see it, and I'm wondering if he'll have a similar reaction.

So, how would you record adopted relatives? Would you list them as parents if they saw them as such? I don't know her biological parents names, so I was just planning on leaving that blank till I DO (if I ever do). But it seems as though the family that raised her deserves SOME mention (especially when there are relatives still alive who were close to her, and even close to her adopted parents).
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: How would you record adoptive parents?

Post by liviomoreno »

I would list the adoptive parents and specify that they are adoptive. If you find also the biological parents you should list both.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

liviomoreno wrote:I would list the adoptive parents and specify that they are adoptive. If you find also the biological parents you should list both.
Thanks.

What I did was, I created an alternate tree. On it, I added her adopted parents. This way, I can keep store all of the records I have on them. I will also use this tree to store unverified information, that I want to keep track of.

If I DO ever find her birth parents, I'll add them on my main tree.

Anyway, thanks again :mrgreen:
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

My Grandmother was adopted and I list her adoptive parents as her parents on my family tree, since I have no idea who her birth parents are and may never know....Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BCasa »

My father is adopted I listed his real parents and adoptive parents so he has both and in notes listed who was what