Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by pepita.az »

Is anybody who can help me?

On behalf of my grandfather, RENATO FELICI who doesn't speak english, I'm trying to reach his relatives.
Moved to CA in early 60's, they were a family.
She was G. MORELLI, her husband Roberto.
They had 2 sons, probably born in US, named Jimmy and Dario.
Their first addr was 5144, Myrtus Ave. - temple City 91780 - CA.
I guess the name of ave. might be changed because in can't find it in any web site, like yellow pages or what.

I will help you in finding yr relatives if you can help me in finding mine.
Thank's in advance, Alessia...
goldhunter
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Does Myrtus Av. still exist in CA???

Post by goldhunter »

Hi Alessia,

Myrtus Ave still exists. It is in Map Quest. There are no Morellis listed in the White Pages at the Myrtus address, however, there are many living in nearby communities. I happen to be familiar with this area. If you need any more help let me know.

Jay
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

goldhunter wrote:Hi Alessia,

Myrtus Ave still exists. It is in Map Quest. There are no Morellis listed in the White Pages at the Myrtus address, however, there are many living in nearby communities. I happen to be familiar with this area. If you need any more help let me know.

Jay
Jay!
Grazie!!!!
Well, the fact is that my grandfather is nearly 90 yrs old. I'd like to find them out before (hope the latest) he dies.
Unfortunately,I only know what I wrote in my first msg.
I also tryed to check it on EllisIsland but was not able because there are many Morellis and I don't know their birthdates..
Do you have suggestions?
Thank's a lot for yr cooperation, dear.
Ciao, Alessia
goldhunter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goldhunter »

Hi Alessia,

Do you have any idea if the Morellis at Myrtus Ave were the homeowners? I checked with the dept of property and taxes in Temple City and apparently the house no longer exists. There are archives that can be searched which are located in Los Angeles. It has to be done in person. I live about 50 miles from L.A. otherwise I would do it for you. There are 197 Morellis listed in the phone book for California. There is a Roberto in San Juan Capistrano.

To go much farther you need to come up with more info. Are these Morellis in any way related to your grandfather? Where did they live before Temple City? Were they born in Italy? If you don't know, ask your grandfather what dialect they spoke. I noticed your username ends in "az". Does the "az' stand for Arizona? Quite a few Italians made there way from Mexico into the U.S., primarily to Arizona and Southern California. Most were from Sonora. Sometimes even the most obscure facts can be very helpful.

Also, I did find a Roberto Morelli in the Ellis Island records who was married to a Giovanna. From the ages listed, they would have been about 80 years old in 1960.

Best wishes, ... Jay
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Alessia,

Just to be clear..........

did the family immigrate in 1860 or 1960??

Do you know the first name of G. Morelli?

Is Morelli her maiden name or married name?

wldspirit
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

Do you have any idea if the Morellis at Myrtus Ave were the homeowners? I checked with the dept of property and taxes in Temple City and apparently the house no longer exists. There are archives that can be searched which are located in Los Angeles. It has to be done in person. I live about 50 miles from L.A. otherwise I would do it for you. There are 197 Morellis listed in the phone book for California. There is a Roberto in San Juan Capistrano.

To go much farther you need to come up with more info. Are these Morellis in any way related to your grandfather? Where did they live before Temple City? Were they born in Italy? If you don't know, ask your grandfather what dialect they spoke. I noticed your username ends in "az". Does the "az' stand for Arizona? Quite a few Italians made there way from Mexico into the U.S., primarily to Arizona and Southern California. Most were from Sonora. Sometimes even the most obscure facts can be very helpful.

Also, I did find a Roberto Morelli in the Ellis Island records who was married to a Giovanna. From the ages listed, they would have been about 80 years old in 1960.

Best wishes, ... Jay

Jay,
dear. Thank's again for interesting in my matter.
Well, let's see:
I tryed to talk to my grandfather today. As you can imagine, talking to someone around 90 is not so easy. He doesn't remember that much, but:
1. When my grandfather was born, he says Morellis were already in US. This means that we're talking abt A LOT of time ago and i didn't expect that much.
2.I don't know if they were homeowners, but I guess they were not.
3. MORELLI is supposed to be her maiden name.
4. I don't know what G stands for.
5. They should be born in Italy and then gone. They spoke, since I red the letter, an awful italian. half italian and half americano.
6. G. Morelli was a cousin of the father of my grandfather. The name of this man was ANDREA FELICI. My grandfather's name is RENATO FELICI.
7. PROBABLY, G. Morelli's mother was ANTONIETTA (or ANTONIA).
8. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do "in person" fron Rome. But you're even too kind, I don't want you to bother yrself with this. Unless this is easy to do for you.
9. the part of my username AZ confused you. It's only the airline code I work for. In the AIRIMP code, Alitalia is named AZ like CO for Continental or DL for DELTA Airlines, and so on.
10. How about that Roberto Morelli married to Giovanna? It seriously makes me think that they might be....what do you think? If they were 80 in 1960 it can match with the fact that, when my grandfather was born, they were already in us.

Once again, Thank you Jay. I apologize if I'm making you crazy.
A presto, Alessia.
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Hi Alessia,

Just to be clear..........

did the family immigrate in 1860 or 1960??

Do you know the first name of G. Morelli?

Is Morelli her maiden name or married name?

wldspirit

Hi Wld,
Until this morning I would have answered to you : 1960.

But at this point, i'm not sure anymore.
As I was telling to Jay, I discovered that when my grandfather (who's now 90 yrs old) was born, Morellis were already living in US.
So it might also be 1860 (but it seems so far!..)

Morelli was PROBABLY her maiden name. Her mom's name mihgt have been Antonietta (or Antonia). She was (or her mother was) a cousin of Andrea Felici, the father of my grandfather.

My grandfather doesn't remember her first name nor what G stands for.

Am i in front of a black hole?????? I'm despared....

Thank You guys, I wish I can help you too, whenever you need ...
Ciao Ciao Alessia.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Alessia,
Does the letter have a date on it?
Do you have the envelope the letter arrived in??
If so, there should be a postmark on the front of the envelope
with a date.........check to see if you can find this date.
wldspirit
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

wldspirit wrote:Alessia,
Does the letter have a date on it?
Do you have the envelope the letter arrived in??
If so, there should be a postmark on the front of the envelope
with a date.........check to see if you can find this date.
wldspirit
Wld, I'll check it.
Hope it has some postmarks.
But i can't do it before next week....

talk to you soon....grazie e a presto, Ale.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ok........I will see if there is any info to be found on census.......
wldspirit :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using Roberto, Robert, and even Bob..... :roll: ......I could find no record of
a family with sons Dario and Jimmy..(James).....in California.......we need more info.....perhaps there is some way for you to find a birth or marriage record for your grandfather's cousin.......until then, we will wait for postmark........
wldspirit
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

Hi! I live in L.A., so if you are able to come up with more specific information I'd be happy to help with local documents once you know what you need.
goldhunter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goldhunter »

Hi Alessia,

I went back and looked at the Ellis Island record for Roberto Morelli. He came to the U.S. in 1910 at the age of 29. It mentions his wife Giovanna but nothing else. It also says that he was from Paganico. I found two Paganicos in Italy, one in the area of Rome and the other in Tuscany ... there may be more. He left Italy from Naples so my best guess is that it would be Paganico Sabino in Lazio. His record is very hard to read but it appears he went to N.Y., (possibly Buffalo) to his in-law, Luigi xxxxx. I can't make out the last name. He may have been traveling with a Francesco or Francesca Alfonsetti, also from Paganico. On the record it does mention that Roberto was bald. This may be something your grandfather might remember.

It was not uncommon for Italians who first settled on the east coast of the United States to move to California, (especially in the 1950's and 1960's). I know several who did it myself.

The location for the archived property records for Temple City is at: 500 W. Temple #205, Los Angeles. (213) 974-3429

Best wishes and good luck, ... Jay
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

Garbo wrote:Hi! I live in L.A., so if you are able to come up with more specific information I'd be happy to help with local documents once you know what you need.

hello :P ,
as you can see I am trying to find my relatives.
Unfortunately, the only things I know about them are listed in the above msgs and i realize that it's very hard.
Thank's to Jay and Wldspirit maybe we are tracing something.

If you live in LA maybe I can ask you if there might be schools' registers in Myrtus Av area.
Or the closest hospitals for birth certificates.
May you help?

Thank You, I appreciate. Peps.
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

I went back and looked at the Ellis Island record for Roberto Morelli. He came to the U.S. in 1910 at the age of 29. It mentions his wife Giovanna but nothing else. It also says that he was from Paganico. I found two Paganicos in Italy, one in the area of Rome and the other in Tuscany ... there may be more. He left Italy from Naples so my best guess is that it would be Paganico Sabino in Lazio. His record is very hard to read but it appears he went to N.Y., (possibly Buffalo) to his in-law, Luigi xxxxx. I can't make out the last name. He may have been traveling with a Francesco or Francesca Alfonsetti, also from Paganico. On the record it does mention that Roberto was bald. This may be something your grandfather might remember.

It was not uncommon for Italians who first settled on the east coast of the United States to move to California, (especially in the 1950's and 1960's). I know several who did it myself.

The location for the archived property records for Temple City is at: 500 W. Temple #205, Los Angeles. (213) 974-3429

Best wishes and good luck, ... Jay
:D Jay :D ,
it's unbelievable what you did.
You said you saw it on EllisIsland, right?
Can I do it by myself? Maybe, if tehre are italian names on the paper it would be easier for to understand. For example this "Luigi xxxx"...

And also, which is the best way to make a request to the property offices you said?What should I write?

Once again, Grazie Infinite, Grazie Mille. Ale. :wink: