Searching for Paolo Balletto - I need advice!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gmbbm

Searching for Paolo Balletto - I need advice!

Post by gmbbm »

I'm new to all of this - My great- grandfather Paolo Balletto arrived in the US in 1896. He married Guilia Pelli in NY on July 29, 1897, exactly 1 week after her arrival from Bargagli. The 1900 census lists Paolo & Julia as having 2 children. George was born in 1898, and my grandfather, William was born in 1900. In 1901 Paolo returns to NY from Bargagli alone.
I know Julia died young. Paolo remarried around 1905. Rose Olcese, his second wife, entered the US for the first time in 1907. She traveled with my grandfather, listed as Alfred - age 7.
I've found all census records 1900-1930 pertaining to Paolo Balletto, but I can't seem to find any death record for Guilia/Julia or any birth/death record for their first child, George.
There was a lot of travel back and forth. In 1906 Paolo returned alone - married - to his brother in New Rochelle, NY. In 1913, he returns with my grandfather, and a few months later, Rose returns with their 4 year old daughter Eliza.
It's possible Julia & George died in New York, though I can't find any records. It's also possible Julia, William & George returned to Italy and Julia & George died either in transit or in Italy.
What's my next step?

Thanks for being here,

Gloria
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Paolo Balletto - I need advice!

Post by ptimber »

You don't say whether you went thru the Bargagli civil records on micorfilm at the family history library of the mormon church. The civil records go from 1866 to 1925. In the absence of everything else you may have done, I await your news. Petertimber
gmbbm

Post by gmbbm »

No, Peter, I haven't yet. As I said, I'm new to all this. I've found the address of the local center, and am arranging a trip with my sister-in-law, who got me involved in this search.

I've been at this for 12 days - and am trying to gather as much as I can before contacting Italy. You can't imagine my shock to find 3 listings for Paolo Balletto on Paginebianche.it. And I have you to thank for that website. You see, I read through 28 pages of posts before posting myself, and chuckled when you gave that same advice to another newcomer.

Thanks, again, Peter - I'll keep you posted!

Gloria
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Please do keep me posted. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Gloria

Peter has directed you to the microfilms at the Family History Library. These are the civil records for Bargagli and available for the years 1866-1929. The civil records are the birth, marriage, and death records. Go to www.familysearch.org to see where your branch would be located and to see what is avialable in the library.

From what you have stated, Julia died somewhere between 1900 and 1907. One thing...if he married Rosa in Italy, which is how it appears, in the Processi...or the paperwork filled out prior to marriage...of Paolo to Rosa there should be some information and proof of the death of Julia.

This might be the place to start. It should give a date of her death and maybe even a copy of the record. If she died in NY, it will indicate that. Once that is obtained, you can find the cemetery in the US and both George and Julia are probably buried in the same plot.

Another thing...if you are near a NY library or can get on interlibrary loan. Check the City directories fro Paolo from 1900 till you find out when she died. Often, he will be listed as a widow the year after she died and it will give her name and date... If he is not listed at all, assume she died and it gives you a year to go on. If you know where the children George and William were baptised in the US...chances are they held the funeral there...so check the church records for burials ....

Hope this helps....
gmbbm

Post by gmbbm »

Thanks to all!

I've just finished the FAQ's at familysearch.org. I can call my local center on Tuesday and see if I have to order the Bargagli civil records.

I wonder - If Paolo marrried Rose in Italy - would sending for the 'Originale situazione di famiglia storico' in Bargagli include Guilia? I only have the first names of Paolo's parents - Andreo and Madalena - and no idea of birth years - If I can access that information in the Bargagli civil records, then I can send for Andreo's storico. Hmmm....so much to think about! So much to do!

I can't thank you enough!

Gloria
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

you will need a full name and birth year at least. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

gmbbm wrote:Thanks to all!

I've just finished the FAQ's at familysearch.org. I can call my local center on Tuesday and see if I have to order the Bargagli civil records.

I wonder - If Paolo marrried Rose in Italy - would sending for the 'Originale situazione di famiglia storico' in Bargagli include Guilia? I only have the first names of Paolo's parents - Andreo and Madalena - and no idea of birth years - If I can access that information in the Bargagli civil records, then I can send for Andreo's storico. Hmmm....so much to think about! So much to do!

I can't thank you enough!

Gloria
The Marriage records will give you what you need. You will have to write Italy later on to get more info since the civil records do not go all the way back. However, the marriage between Paolo and Rosa will give the names of his parents, his age and from there you can find a birth record for him.

Most of the time I suggest doing the birth records...they are the easiest. In this case, since you are looking specifically for a death date for an individual in America, it makes sense to have the marriage and processi. To get a State of the Family...I don't think you will find the death of Julia there unless it is after 1900 and then, since Italy was not the permanent home for Paolo, you have no one to request it on. He is not a resident of his own home in Italy, and therefore unlikely to be listed in that document.....

Let us know how it goes.
gmbbm

Post by gmbbm »

I'm sure Julia's death is after 1900. My grandfather, William was born in NY January 28, 1900, and the 1900 census lists Julia, Paolo and their 2 sons.
As far as Paolo's permanent residence following Julia's death, that's part of the mystery. When he returned fron Italy 5/26/1901 he is listed as married, not widowed, although this may not be accurate. When he again returns from Italy, 5/06/1906, he was last in NY 1904 - and at this point he had married Rosa Olcese in 1905 in Italy. Both times he lists his brother, Tomaso, as his destination, leading me to believe he closed his residence here when returning to Italy.
It's fascinating - many of the 'facts' my relatives have provided have been off - yet I'm hoping the 'flavor' of my great grandparents will be revealed in the oral history.
It's been an interesting 2 weeks! Thanks for your help!

Gloria
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

When you get to the civil records on microfilm you can either uncover the truth of the matter or not in Italy leaving the USA and NYC for possible future searches at whgich point we are here to help you. Peter
gmbbm

Post by gmbbm »

Thanks, Peter! I'll keep you posted.

Gloria
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

we are here for you. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Something else that might also help from the Family History Library....the New York vital records....

Index to deaths, New York City, 1888-1965
Authors New York (New York). Department of Health (Main Author)

All boroughs 1900-1904 FHL US/CAN Film
All boroughs 1905-1908 FHL US/CAN Film

These might give you the information on Julia and on George....

Just a suggestion
gmbbm

Post by gmbbm »

Thanks, I'll add them to my list!

Gloria
Saysenior

Post by Saysenior »

I am a grandson of Paolo (Paul) Balletto, who was married to Rose Olcese and lived at 600 Ocean ave NJ. My mother was Elizabeth.
In 2003 you were searching for Paolo info. If still interested please contact me. I have early photos.

Charles Nanco
PS
I knew Alfred, and went to Snyder High with Willie.