Casteltermini, Sicily - Any records online?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Casteltermini, Sicily - Any records online?

Post by darthsmozers »

Tessa78 wrote:
darthsmozers wrote:Hmmm. Besides Casteltermini, are there records online for these places in Sicily as well? Floridia, Canicattini Bagni, Santo Stefano Di Camastra, and the island of Favignana?

The places I've highlighted in red are available in Province of Siracusa...

T.
Ohhhh. Well, in that case...

I have a great-great-grandmother named Maria Cianci, born Sept 8, 1881 in Canicattini Bagni. I have her Italian passport in my hand, and can make out that her father's name may have been Vincenzo Cianci. I cannot find her mother's first or maiden name, or any relevant information on either Vincenzo or his wife (locations, dates, etc.)

Maria Cianci's spouse was Carmelo Stella, born January 6, 1875 in Floridia. I also have his Italian passport in hand, and can determine that his parents' names were Angelo Stella and Marianna, but I do not know Marianna's maiden name nor any locations or dates related to either Angelo or Marianna.

Do you think you might be able to help shed some light on these individuals? My grandmother on this side has since passed, and all the information I have is in these passports.

Thank you!
Researching Surnames:
Smolinski, Erwetowski, Natoli, Stella, Cianci;
Tammaro, San Germano, Scarna;
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Records online for Canicattini Bagni are scarce... only years 1900-1910 :-(

I checked indexes for a marriage during those years but didn't find one for Maria Cianci...

You may have to write to the comune:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via XX Settembre, 42
96010 Canicattini Bagni (SR)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... civile.asp

Records for Floridia are also limited to 1900-1910 ONLINE.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found the publication of marriage banns in Floridia! :-)

Dated 18 June 1903
Carmelo Stella, single, 28, pickman in a quarry (picconiere), son of Angelo, 61, also a pickman; and of Marianna Siracusa, housewife
AND
Maria Cianci, 22, housewife, daughter of deceased Vincenzo, manufacturer/trader (industrioso); and of Rosalia Bonaiuto, housewife, all residing in Canicattini Bagni.

Now that I have a date, I'll go back to Canicattini Bagni to look for the marriage record! :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Marriages were generally performed in the comune of the bride, but in this case, Maria Cianci and Carmelo Stella were married in Floridia, the comune of the groom...

Here is a copy of the marriage act, dated 18 July 1903, in Floridia. :D

T.
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

Tessa78,
I recently rediscovered this thread and noticed I never closed the conversation nor thanked you for your help finding these documents last dummer. I was in summer classes and also moving at the time, and so had little time to devote to this hobby as it was. I must have let this go by the wayside. In fact, in rereading all this, I realized none of this ever made it into my tree. So, very belated, thank you so much for all of this vital information.
Researching Surnames:
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Always glad to be of help :-)

T.
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

Tessa78 wrote:Found the publication of marriage banns in Floridia! :-)

Dated 18 June 1903
Carmelo Stella, single, 28, pickman in a quarry (picconiere), son of Angelo, 61, also a pickman; and of Marianna Siracusa, housewife
AND
Maria Cianci, 22, housewife, daughter of deceased Vincenzo, manufacturer/trader (industrioso); and of Rosalia Bonaiuto, housewife, all residing in Canicattini Bagni.

Now that I have a date, I'll go back to Canicattini Bagni to look for the marriage record! :-)

T.

T,
I just realized a last name thay you quoted was "Siracusa". Interesting, since Siracusa is also a place name. Hmmm... ?
Researching Surnames:
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Hi! I am looking for the Termini and Panepinto families in Casteltermini. Cruciano Termini (he used the names Luciano and Anthony later in life) was born 04 May 1874 in Italy. I'm not exactly sure where. He had a sister, Philomena Termini, who married Giovanni Ferlisi. Philomena was born between 1854-1856. I know he had other siblings, especially brothers, but I do not know their names. Cruciano and Philomena were children of James Termini and Carmela Beluni/Ballara. I've searched on familysearch.org, and it seems to be that their names may have been Vincenzo Termini and Maria Carmela Ballone, but I'm not certain, if they are the same people. Cruciano married Carmela Panepinto sometime around 1896? Carmela was the daughter of Michelangelo and Domenica (Schifano) Panepinto. I have Carmela's birth date as 10 January 1876 in Casteltermini. Carmela (Panepinto) Termini had a brother named Vincenzo Panepinto who was supposedly born in Casteltermini on 23 August 1881. I do not know about other siblings, but want to know more about Cruciano and Carmela's siblings and ancestry. Would love to find marriage, birth, and death records. I do subscribe to ancestry.com, and have searched the Casteltermini records, but without an index, and not knowing Italian, it doesn't help! LOL

I am interested in finding the marriage of Cruciano and Carmela Panepinto Termini, and the marriages of their parents. Cruciano and Carmela were the parents supposedly of at least 7 children. 5 lived to adulthood, but I've heard that two children died in infancy. I don't know the names or dates of these two children. I know that Cruciano immigrated to the United States in 1902 and 1908, and Carmela in 1903 and 1910. They went back to Italy and returned to the US. I've found every immigration record except when Carmela immigrated the first time supposedly in 1903. Their first three children were almost assuredly born in Italy, and I believe in Casteltermini. James Vincent Termini was born 26 December 1897, Carmela was born 02 April 1900, and Domenica was born 25 December 1902. James and Carmela appear in the West Virginia Births and Christenings (no image is available), but I truly think this is in error, as numerous other sources show them as born in Italy. I think Vincenzina Jenneda "Jennie" Termini was born in Tucker County, West Virginia on 02 December 1904, and Alexander Termini was born 21 February 1907 in Oakmont, Mineral County, West Virginia. All 5 children were in Italy though, as they had returned. I assume that Jennie and Alexander were truly born in West Virginia, but I am not going to swear! LOL Hopefully someone can help me search the records on ancestry.com or elsewhere! Thanks to anyone who can help!
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=75604301
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=65731165

From these memorials you can find the memorials of their children, with additional information.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

I'm very sad that this thread, and many other threads went in the crash. I'm glad I saved most of the information, but the discussion here was so lengthy and detailed. Very interesting too! :( I'm sure there are many tidbits that I will not get into my research unless it's redone. That would be very hard, and wouldn't be the same. I wish there was a way to print (printer friendly?) where it omits all the junk on the sides. I was actually going to print it a few months ago :(
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

What do you mean it went in the crash? I see the whole thread here. ?
Researching Surnames:
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

See the announcement made on 10 March 2013 by the Super Moderator. This thread was like 20 pages long, and now it is back to 2 pages. We had a very educated, lengthy discussion here. I knew I should have backed it all up! :( I also wasn't a "Newbie" anymore LOL, I had three of them, I think that's "Elite".
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

I don't think it ever got to 20 pages... not that I remember anyway.
Researching Surnames:
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

I can't remember but it was close. Definitely at least 14 pages. My entire discussion is lost. I'm not angry, just sad! :( Everything has been back-dated to October 2012.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Hey Tessa! I guess this isn't a total loss, other than our discussions which added meat to the bones!

When you get a chance, can you re-post the links or the actual records with translations for the marriages of:

Pietro Panepinto and Sarafina Capozza -- married 22 Oct 1891

Michelangelo Panepinto and Domenica Schifano -- married 28 Sep 1885 (they already had several children before their marriage)

Carmelo Panepinto and Isabella La Duca (might be under "De Luca" -- married 16 Jun 1901

Vincenzo Panepinto and Rosa Di Gesu married 27 Nov 1909 in Campofranco, Caltanissetta, Sicilia, Italy.

And the death of:

Vincenza (Panepinto) Palmieri on 25 Nov 1899.

The birth of her son Michelangelo Palmieri on 24 Nov 1899

These are some of the records that I can think of at the moment that I don't think I saved. I only saved the "text" information in my tree.

This all took place in Casteltermini, except the one marriage in Campofranco

I'm so sorry! I haven't looked at this family for a while, and just always thought I could come back here at any time and retrieve any info when I got around to attaching images and translations in my family tree. I always fear that something bad will happen, like a crash, but I wasn't prepared for it! I saved a lot of the images, but not all of them.

Also, I don't think you ever found the marriage for Girolamo Palmieri and Vincenza Panepinto. I guess it was sometime between 1894 and 1899.

It's no hurry, I was just looking around and trying to figure out where my biggest losses were. I know I have access to them all on ancestry.com, but you are much better at finding them and translating them!

Thanks so much!! :D