Gardella research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dpbluec

Gardella research

Post by dpbluec »

Hello! I'm researching my great-grandparents:

Maria Luigia Gardella (born about 1877 in Neirone) - she was widowed prior to her arrival in the US in 1900 (with her infant daughter Adelina in tow). Wondering about her first husband. Adelina born in Neirone as well in 1899.

She married Antoinio Gardella in Haverhill, Massachusetts, US in 1903 and the wedding license lists her parents as Michele and Rosa Gardella, residing in Neirone.

Antonio's parents are listed as Giovanni and Maria Gardella, residing in New York City, but I will track them down when I can get to the archives.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Gardella research

Post by pink67 »

Ancestry.it has online the civil registrations for Neirone town...

this is Adelina's birth act:

Birth Act number 28 - Year 1899

Gardella Adele was born on the day 11 april 1899 in Neirone, daughter of Luigi Gardella, age 24, farmer and of his wife Maria Luigia Gardella daughter of the living Michele, housewife. Address was Cerreta di Neirone.

image here
http://postimage.org/image/6sm481g97/

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Again, from Ancestry.it Luigi Gardella's death act:

Death act number 6 - Year 1900

Gardella Luigi, age 25 farmer died in his house at the Cerreta address on the day 24 february 1900. He was the son of the late Bartolomeo and of the living Caramella Antonia, housewife. He was born and resident in Neirone and was the husband of Maria Luigia Gardella.

image here:
http://postimage.org/image/tjosyqsmv/

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the free site Familysearch.org the marriage act between Luigi and Maria Luigia Gardella:

Marriage act number 13 - year 1898 - Neirone

Groom: Gardella Luigi, age 23, farmer born in Neirone, son of the late Bartolomeo resident when alive in Neirone and of the living Antonia Caramella (maiden name) resident in Neirone

Bride: Gardella Maria Luigia, age 22, housewife born in Neirone, daughter of the living Michele and of the late Rosa Gardella (maiden name)

Marriage Date 21 june 1898

image here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14029876

Laura
dpbluec

Post by dpbluec »

This is great! Thanks so very much.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome :D

This is Maria Luigia's birth act again from the site Ancestry.com:

Birth Act number 40 - Year 1875

Gardella Maria Luigia was born in Neirone on the day 4 july 1875, daughter of Michele Gardella age 53 farmer and of his wife Rosa Gardella daughter of the late Giuseppe, housewife.

Annotation on the left side: Gardella Maria Luigia married Luigi Gardella in Neirone on the day 21 june 1898.

image here:
http://postimage.org/image/h0r7ldm2r/

Laura
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I am a Gardella. Grandfather Alessandro born in Detroit, MI in 1875 or therabouts. I think I might be one of the "lost" Gardella tribes. However, I live in NYC and know other Gardellas here who are most probably distantly related.

If I can help, let me know.

Maddalena
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Grandfather Alessandro born in Detroit, MI in 1875 or therabouts
Hello Maddalena,

Antonio Alessandro Gardella was baptized in Detroit in the church of Saint Anna on the day 6 may 1875. He was son of Pietro Gardella and his wife Ludovica Bigeo (Biggi Maria Luigia)

image of the transcription in the birth register of the town of Neirone of Antonio Alessandro Gardella's baptism act in Detroit:
http://search.ancestry.it/Browse/view.a ... sid=&gskw=

I found the italian translation of his latin baptism certificate on the italian database on Ancestry.it, Pietro and Maria Luigia Gardella were not married in the U.S. They had two child in Detroit, Antonio Alessandro and Maria Virginia (she was born in Detroit on 30 december 1881 and batpized in Saint Anna Church on the day 8 january 1882)
So they came back to Neirone, Italy to marry after their child's births.

Marriage act number 24 - Year 1883

Groom: Gardella Pietro Luigi, age 33, single, carpenter, born and resident in Neirone, son of the late Antonio and of the living Lagomarsino Teresa Dina;

Bride: Biggi Maria Luigia, age 28, single, housewife, born in Priosa of Santo Stefano d'Aveto (today a fraction of Rezzoaglio) daughter of the living Agostino resident in New York and of the living Badaracco Cattarina resident in New York

Marriage date: 24 december 1883.

With the marriage act they officially recognized their two child, born in the U.S.

link to the original image on the site Ancestry.it:

http://search.ancestry.it/Browse/View.a ... io.1883.14

After the marriage in Neirone they left for Detroit, this is their 1887 arrival manifest (Pietro age 37 and Luigia age 31 with child Antonio age 11 and Teresa (possibly Maria Virginia) infant:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... id=9548753

If you don't have the subscription to these sites I can post the images for you...

Laura
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

I am so ashamed that I never thanked you for this. I guess life got crazy during the time of these postings. That is, however, no excuse. I hope that you will accept my belated but heartfelt thanks now.

I did some further research and found that the child, Teresa, who came to the States in 1887 was actually born in Neirone circa 1884. She came back to the States in 1911 and naturalized in 1929. She appears to never have been married dying in Detroit at the age of 61 in 1946.

Pietro and Luigia had another son, Frederico, who was born in Detroit in 1889. He married in NY, Manhattan, in 1913 and had at least one child, a son whose name is unknown.
Frederico’s wife was Vittoria Rosasco.

The child, Maria Virginia, is a mystery to me. I did find a child named Mary, born to Pietro and Luigia in 1871 who died Detroit in 1878. And, perhaps some of the Detroit handwritten records were transcribed incorrectly as another child named Mary comes up as being born Detroit in 1878 and dying in 1878.

No record of Maria Virginia.

Also, had there been a Maria Virginia in Italy with her parents, there is no record of her returning to the States.

Either the subsequent Maria Virginia died in Italy on that visit or she is the same Mary born Detroit in 1871, not 1881.

So many thanks again, Laura. You guys at this web site are the best.