Where do I come from?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rcasabel

Where do I come from?

Post by rcasabel »

I became interested in my family roots when my grandfater died a few years ago. I am searching for information about my great-great grandfather. His name is Joseph Casabella. He was born in Italy in 1844 and came to the United States around 1865. From what I have been told by my few relatives, his family was wealthy and owned a castle. He was studying to become a priest and decided to come to the US, leaving everything he owned to the monistary where he studied. I have always wondered if I had relatives still living in Italy and would love to someday visit the home of my ancestors. Any information or help on where to search would be greatly appreciated.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Where do I come from?

Post by wldspirit »

The surname is widespread thru out Italy, but less than 150 persons.
Suanj is the historic expert........
however, I as well as others here have access to census info as well as manifest thru ancestry.........if you can provide more detail, such as wife, children, where did they reside in US and any dates and ages you may have, perhaps we can help you locate the town of origin.
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

rcasabel wrote:I became interested in my family roots when my grandfater died a few years ago. I am searching for information about my great-great grandfather. His name is Joseph Casabella. He was born in Italy in 1844 and came to the United States around 1865. From what I have been told by my few relatives, his family was wealthy and owned a castle. He was studying to become a priest and decided to come to the US, leaving everything he owned to the monistary where he studied. I have always wondered if I had relatives still living in Italy and would love to someday visit the home of my ancestors. Any information or help on where to search would be greatly appreciated.
Hi There,

Here is some information that may help you find the name of the town Joseph Casabella was from.

Kenntucky Death Index Information
Name: Joseph Casabella
Death Date: 7 June , 1912
Death Place: Jefferson
Volume: 38
Certificate: 15048

You can try to order his Death Certificate and hopefully it will list his parents names. However, it just might say born in Italy, but you never know.

In the 1880 Census reads the following

Joseph - age 36 from Italy
Kate - wife - age 37 from Baden
Peter - son -age 12 born in Kentucky
Mary - daughter - age 11 born in Kentucky
Joseph - son - age 6 born in Kentucky
Anthony - son - age 1 born in Kentucky

I'm poking around some more, I'll let you know what else I might find.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
rcasabel

Post by rcasabel »

From what I found in US census records was that in the 1880 census he was married to a Katie, they had four children from 1 to 12 years old. They lived in Louisville, KY. I don't know if they came straight to Louisville or lived someplace else first. He worked at a rock quarry, as did his son, my great-grandfather, and his son, my grandfather. It is possible that he came from a line of masonaries in Italy for it to carry on throughout my family. However, Italian imagrants took whatever jobs they could find and being in his 20's he could have taken any job that required a strong back.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

It should be noted that the majority of the early Italians (pre-1870) came from Northern Italy. I am also wondering about that surname, Casabella. Is it just me or do any of you think it may not be the true original name. It is so literal and generic. I would not only order the death record, but possibly (1912 is not that early) get a copy of his obituary.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The name does exist in Italy.......from north to south......but if I remember correctly......more north.........
wldspirit
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Would you believe her luck, The Jefferson County, Kentucky Rootsweb site has scanned images of the 1911 Death records, but not 1912.
Great site, full of information, and there is info there for some of the later generations.

Metro Louiseville & Jefferson County KY Rootsweb site

They spelled his name with a K in 1870 (obviously a mistake)

Joseph Casabella in 1870
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

It's wonderful to find transcribed info on the net.......I only wish there were more of it.......genealogy research would be so much easier.....but half the fun is in the hunt for info's...... :D
Lisa
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Half the fun is right, there is nothing quite as exiting as the hunt. (although a clue now and again doesn't take too much away from the fun)

:)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

As James and Wldspirit stated, order the Death Certificate for Joseph. I gave his information in a previous post. Also, try to find the Obit like James stated. You never know what kind of information could be on it.

If you could find the Church they belonged to, you might be able to get a Baptismal Certificate of one of the children which might have notations on it. I was able with my own ancestors find information that way about some of my non-Italian ancestors.

Also, James like you stated, you have to poke around and you never what kind of information you could find online. A good example is St. Louis Public Library. They have tons of information online and the Staff is the greatest to work with!!!

This is an example of their Obit Link

http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/obit.htm

Have a good one!
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff