Reading baptisimal records and searching for an ancester

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Reading baptisimal records and searching for an ancester

Post by Kaylie »

I am currently searching the baptisimal records for the town of Prizzi (Provincia Palermo) in familysearch.org trying to track the paternal side of my husband's family. I have found his father's baptisimal records and am now trying to track his grandfather Salvatore Petralia's baptisimal records. I know that his great grandfather was Castrenze Petralia and great grandmother was Marianna Costa. So far I have found his grandfather Salvatore's baptismal record and also discovered that his grandfather had two additional siblings. I am having a bit of difficulty with the translation of one: don't know if it is Francesco or Francesca (DOB January 6, 1857) Record #6 on Page 259. Can you translate this record for me? Also, I found a record of another child of Castrenze and Marianna. I believe the index says the child's name was Maria - Image 310 of 552. Folio is 84; however I cannot find any baptisimal records for this child on Page 84 of the records. Mother Marianna was born in 1826. Is there any help you can give me for this?

I would be most appreciative of any responses :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Reading baptisimal records and searching for an ancester

Post by liviomoreno »

Could you please post the link to the images?
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Hello and thank you for responding. Here is the link to the Image of Maria, child of Castrenze & Marianna Costa:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=11906489

For the link on Francesco/Francesca:https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=11906489

Grazie!
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Sorry, link for Francesca/Francesco did not copy correctly. Trying again:

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Kaylie wrote:Sorry, link for Francesca/Francesco did not copy correctly. Trying again:

click for record keep clicking to enlarge record #6

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres your Maria record #99 1851
click for record keep clicking to enlarge record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adelfio wrote:
Kaylie wrote:Sorry, link for Francesca/Francesco did not copy correctly. Trying again:

click for record keep clicking to enlarge record #6

Marty
Grazie Marty!

Here is the translation:
The same day (6 Jan 1857)
6. I Father Giuseppe Petralia ..., baptized a babychild, born this night at 8:00 to the married couple Castrense Petralia and Maria Anna Costa, to whom was given the name Francesco (in Latin, Franciscus, male). Godparents Vincenzo and Antonina Lo Bue son and daughter of Giovanni
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adelfio wrote:Heres your Maria record #99 1851
click for record keep clicking to enlarge record

Marty
Thanks again Marty!
translation:
The day 4 same maonth and year (4 Mar 1851)
99. I Father Giuseppe d'Angelo ..., baptized a babychild born yesterday at 19:00 to the married couple Castrense Petralia and Marianna Costa, to whom was given the name Maria (female). Godparents Giorgio and Giovanna Mosca spouses.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Re Finding a great,great grandfather's baptisimal or birth r

Post by Kaylie »

This message is for livio moreno. I have a request for you. I have attempted to research the baptiimal records for the year 1780. I would like to find the records for my husband's great,great grandfather Salvatore Petralia. He was born in 1780 and died in 1838. He was the son of Paolo Petralia (born 1751 died 1827) and Epifania Siragusa. I have attempted to search the church records of San Giorgio Martire in the town of Prizzi, prov. PA) but could not find anything relating to his birth. Perhaps I missed the record. It seems that the indexes for church records seem to be more difficult to read as the dates get older. In the indexes do you search for the father's name or the child's name? In the year 1819, when I searched for his great grandfather's baptisimal record, the index stated Castrenze Petralia di Salvatore (the child's name was first and then the father) Is there any way that you can help me or tell me how to search? If you find anything, I would appreciate if you would send me the link. Thank you.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe you should search for the child's name...
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres the possible record 1819 Castrense Petralia San Giorgio Martire in the town of Prizzi, prov. PA)
Page 69 index #108
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty

Marty
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

For Livio: I found the index for my husband's great,great grandfather and also with some difficulty also found the record, although the folio was a little difficult to read. The link for the index is:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=11906484

The link for the record is:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=11906484

I hope you can translate the above records for me. Thank yu one again for all of your help.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Livio: One quick note: The record is the last one on Page 200. Although my records for Salvatore's birth is 1780, it seems based on what I think I read, that this birth was in 1782. Can you tell if his birth year is 1780 or 1782?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Paolo Emanuele Salvatore, son of Paolo Petralia (son of Paolo) and of Epifania Siragusa was born and batized on 9 May 1872
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Livio: Is it unusual for a child to be baptized with 3 first names? I was looking for my husband's great great grandfather (bis bis Nonno) whose name was Salvatore. A quick search in familysearch.org brought up a record for Salvadore Petralia (with with a birth of 1780 and death of June 19, 1838. The father's was listed as Paolo Petralia and mother was Epifania Siragusa. Yet the record you found was for Paolo Emmanuele Salvatore. Could this be the Salvatore I am looking for? Would you send me your thoughts on this?