Help Translating Birth Record from Gaeta

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Help Translating Birth Record from Gaeta

Post by jpetrelli »

Hello,

I was hoping the group could assist me in interpreting and translating the birth record of a relative from Gaeta. I am particularly interested in the handwritten notation at the bottom and on the side.

I am able to translate some of the standard form content, but I am not familiar with the format of the second page, so do not trust my translation efforts.

I would sincerely appreciate assistance translating as well as opinions of what this all means. Was Maria Civita married twice? Does it say what happened to her husbands, etc.

Thank you greatly for your assistance.

Joe

Page 1
Page 2
=====
MY TRANSLATION ATTEMPT
=====
In the year one thousand eight-hundred and [fifty-two] on day [nine] in the month of [May] at the hour of [eight in the morning].
Before us [Siacinto Macarekki Eletto], and officers of the Vital Records for the town of [Borga di Gaeta], District of [Gaeta], province of Lazario, appeared [Sraziantonia Casenova, 61], occupation [midwife], living [?ivi contrada li scalzi?], present us a [female] that we have visibly witnessed, and she was declared that the same was born of [Alessandrana Camelio, 19], occupation [spinner], [legitimate wife of Angel Traniello], domiciled [with her husband, Angelo Traniello, 26], occupation [gardener], living in [?ivi contrada li scalato?].
-----
Ordinal No. 171
In the year one thousand eight-hundred and [fifty-three], on day [ten] of the month of [May], the pastor of [San Cosmo] returned to us on day [ten], of the month of [May], of the [current] year, the here-written birth act at the bottom of which he has indicated that the Sacrament of Baptism was administered to [Maria Civita Filomena Traniello], on day [nine of the same month].
=====
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help Translating Birth Record from Gaeta

Post by liviomoreno »

When I try to open the images I get an error saying that I'm not authorized to see it. Maybe you should make them public.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

My apologies for issues viewing the documents. Here is a second attempt to share these records.

Joe

Page 1

Page 2
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the year one thousand eight-hundred and [fifty-two] on day [nine] in the month of [May] at the hour of [eight in the morning].
Before us [Giacinto Macarelli Eletto], and officers of the Vital Records for the town of [Borgo di Gaeta], District of [Gaeta], province of Terra di Lavoro, appeared [Graziantonia Casenova, 61], occupation [midwife], living [here (in) contrada li scalzi], who presented us a [female baby] that we have visibly witnessed, and she declared that the same was born of [Alessandrana Camelio, 19], occupation [spinner], [legitimate wife of Angel Traniello], domiciled [with her husband, Angelo Traniello, 26], occupation [gardener], living in [here (in) contrada lo Scalato].

2nd page
on the day [eight] of the month of [May] [current] year at [12:00 pm] at [home].
The same also declared to give [to teh newborn] the name [Maria Civita Filomena]
...Names of the witnesses (to the act, not to the birth) follow...

The handwritten annotation on the right states that Maria Civita Filomena on Sep 24 1871 married Cosmo ???ali son of Giuseppe

-----
Order No. 171
In the year one thousand eight-hundred and [fifty-three], on day [ten] of the month of [May]. The pastor of [San Cosmo] returned to us on day [ten], of the month of [May], of the [current] year, the here-written birth act at the bottom of which he has indicated that the Sacrament of Baptism was administered to [Maria Civita Filomena Traniello], on day [nine of the same month].

2nd page

The handwritten annotation on the left states that Maria Civita Filomena on Jan 9 1889 married Crescenzo Agostino Tucci son of Giovanni Filippo

In short:
Maria Civita Filomena was born on May 8 1852 to Alessandra Camelio 19yo and to Angelo Traniello 26yo. She was baptized on May 10 1853.
She married twice:
1st Marriage on Sep 24 1871 with Cosmo ???ali son of Giuseppe
2nd Marriage on Jan 9 1889 with Crescenzo Agostino Tucci son of Giovanni Filippo
Since divorce did not exist, she was the widow of Cosmo when she married Crescenzo

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

Livio,

Thank you greatly for your assistance with the translation.

One follow up question for you, on the second page, are you able to explain what the date (that appears to be) "February, 23 1878", is referring to? Are you able to interpret the term written prior to this date?

Thank you,

Joe

P.S. I interpret Cosmo's Surname as "DaVillis".
Researching Surnames:
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

February, 23 1878 is the date when the annotation was written.
The word before the date looks like Caserta