Need Help Finding Hometown

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Need Help Finding Hometown

Post by tcrawford246 »

I am looking for my second great-grandmother's hometown in Italy. Her name is Julia Caruso (Caruso is her maiden name). She was born September 28, 1879. She arrived to the United States in 1879. As I was searching for her, her name is spelled three different ways on her tombstone it is Julia, in of the 1910 United States Federal Census her name is spelled Guino, and in the 1920 Federal Census her name is spelled Giulia. She was married to Joseph Bruno and lived in Brookville, PA and Brockway, PA. She died September 17, 1959 in Brockway, PA. It would really help my genealogical search if I found out where she lived in Italy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Need Help Finding Hometown

Post by adelfio »

Have you tryed for her death record from September 17, 1959 in Brockway, PA. Should be able to get her maiden name

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tcrawford246 »

Marty,

I already know her maiden name it is Caruso. I am having trouble finding where she lived in Italy.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

according to the 1910 census, it says giuseppe bruno came over in 1892, and giuno came over around 1894. do you know if they were married in italy ? did julia have any siblings that also came over from italy ? the reason i ask, because i found a manifest for giuseppe bruni with an "I" at the end, angela caruso, and orlando caruso going to ny from amentea, italy. the only problem is, it doesn't say what the relationship is between giuseppe and angela. this orlando guy, i assume would be angela's brother or cousin.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2843040263
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tcrawford246 »

rancelli,

Thank you for finding that ship manifest, but that is a different person. I believe she was married after she came to the United States.

I made a mistake she did not come over in 1879, she came over in 1895 sorry about that.