Going through GGP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Going through GGP

Post by trinasignoriello »

Hi All.
Thanks for reading.

I have 2 quick questions. My appointment is in April, going for the apostles next week.

1. The consulate website states they require docs from paternal OR maternal GGP, etc. Does that pertain to all of the docs, depending on who I am going through (Paternal or Maternal side, meaning I don't have to collect both sets)?
2. Would anyone like to share what a declaration of "never renouncing Italian citizenship" would look like in Italian?

Thanks again!
Trina
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Going through GGP

Post by JJ313 »

That's correct you would only need the direct line documents for the consulate website you are viewing.

The declaration is in English and can be found on most consulate websites. NY posts the forms see forms 2, 3, and 4.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks! I thought it had to be translated.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Trina,

Are you going through NYC? They also asked me in February of 2012 for the spouse's birth records - photocopy only, no need for Apostille or translation. I don't know if there would be a problem without them, but I was missing my GM's NYC birth record (spouse of direct line GF) and they put it on the letter as one of the items we needed to address.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

In August 2011, San Francisco required a simple photo copy of birth records for non-direct line ancestors. We were not able to provide the non-direct line bc of grand-mother born in Italy and this was not a problem, although we did provide proof that we contacted her comune without receiving an adequate response. I tend to think that, in general, the consulates are more interested in non-direct line ancestors born in the USA in order to check out the history of this ancestor before marriage and not providing the simple photo copy might be a problem.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I don't know why they want it! And they didn't ask for the death certificates for any of the direct line spouses. I often wonder if they make any kind of study of all this information that they take in. It seems to me that it could be looked on as a gigantic social experiment -- so many people coming from difficult situations who hadn't been given an opportunity, compared with their descendants 1 or 2 or 3 generations later (they did ask for our occupations on the form we were asked to fill out in NY when we arrived).
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

They could want it for a number of reasons as non direct line ancestors born in the USA could have an unknown history prior to marriage into the direct line that would be of interest to the consulate. The birth certificate with names of the parents would allow the consulate to know more about the family. If the non-direct line ancestor were born in Italy, the consulate would have no trouble tracing the history of the family.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

It really depends on what consulate you are going through. Philly didn't want any non-direct line docs, not even photocopies. Which consulate are you applying through?
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Sorry for the delayed response. I am going through NY.
Since I am going through my mother's GF (my GFF), does this mean that I only need a photocopy of my father's BC?
Also, I am having a hard time obtaining a copy of the BC for my GGM who was born here in the US, but married my GGF, who came from Avellino. I have their marriage license.

karen, did they give you a month to get the rest of the docs? Were you ale to in time?

Also, would anyone be kind enough to share a 'translated doc'? I speak and teach HS Italian, tho not super perfect, but if I can see what they are looking for, I can do the translations myself. My email is my full username. @ gmail. Thanks in advance!
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

And wow! Just noticed another problem.

My GGM .... where was she born? In 1887, supposedly, but my GGF stated on his naturalization papers that she was born in New York. On their marriage certificate it says Italy. I also cannot find a death certificate for her, nor a birth certificate here in NY.
What to do??
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

I tried to edit above, but can't...

and the death certificate of my GF states my GGF's name as Virginia, not Vincenza. She is certainly messing things up for me!
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Trina,

I had to make an entirely new appointment, which is over a year away! I was missing my GF BC from NYC -- still looking. But I would say keep your appointment and then you can see exactly what they will ask you for. I'm going through my GGF-GF-F, and they only wanted a photocopy of my M and GM's birth certificates. I don't think you will need GGM DC as they did not ask for mine. They did want the marriage records, but didn't ask that my mother's discrepancies on that be changed. I was able to correct my GF's NYC DC in advance, but I think they may overlook that discrepancy for you as well. My father's DC had a middle initial that is not on his BC or marriage record and they didn't question it. They seem more lenient with these records.

Good luck! They wanted translations of all direct line only birth, marriage and death. (The photocopy spouses don't need apostilles or translations.)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

For translation templates go to Italiancitizenship.freeforums.org, the template forum there has many translation templates. If you can't find what you need let me know, I have a few additional versions of NYC and NJ.

For your GGM BC try looking at ship manifests as she may have been born in Italy. If you don't have access post the details here in genealogy and the folks here do a fantastic job at finding things.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Karen and JJ.

karen, they didnt allow you to make a return appt in like a month or so? I heard somewhere on here that people were given 30 days or so (dont recall exactly) to fix their errors.

i cannot find GGM on any ship manifests. I know she was born on April 5 (or 8) 1887.... But through a cousin, tonight I was able to locate her death certificate and hopefully will receive it asap, although it names her as Virginia, again, but should also contain her maiden name of Greco/Grecco.

In any case, I am marrying an Italian next month and wont be able to return to the consulate a year from now as I will be in Italy. Hoping they just give me a month to fix what needs fixing!

i wonder if it would be easier for me to go directly to the comune in Italy.....

Now to get started on the translations!
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »