U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share some good news. Ancestry.com put up the U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

"......After the U.S. entered WWII a new selective service act required that all men between ages 18 and 65 register for the draft. Between November 1940 and October 1946, over 10 million American men were registered.

This database is an indexed collection of the draft cards from the Fourth Registration, the only registration currently available to the public. The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942 and registered men who born on or between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old - and who were not already in the military......"
(Sourced: Per Ancestry.com information page)

Now I was poking around with these Draft Cards and noticed most men actually gave the exact name of the town they were from. These Draft Cards will help people with towns of origin, as well as narrow down death years especially since there 1940 census isn't ready for publication.

Don't forget that most Family History Centers and most Major Public Libraries have access to ancestry.com for free, you only have to pay for the copies you print. And several members here have access to ancestry.com like myself and are willing to do look-ups.

I just wanted to share this information.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Trish,

Thanks for posting this information.

Another great source we can access :!: :D :D :D

And yes, I'm smiling!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Trish,

I just noticed this last night. I receieved a newsletter from ancestry about it and have been playing around with it, too. Hopefully this will help more people with their searches!

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Nuccia and Joyce,

I'm having a ball with it! The people I'm finding is unbelievable! I'm also finding clues in order to help clients as well as my own family.

Information available on the draft cards includes:

Name of registrant

Birthplace
Residence
Employer information
Name and address of person who would always know the registrants whereabouts
Physical description of registrant (race, height, weight, eye and hair colors, complexion)

And if it names a spouse, you just narrowed down the death years.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Sounds like you're having fun! I missed you around here lately...is this why? :wink:

Thought you met up with a tall dark and handsome (and very rich) prince and you sailed off into the sunset! :D

Time for us to get together soon for another all night gab session!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hugs
Nuccia
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

nuccia wrote: Thought you met up with a tall dark and handsome (and very rich) prince and you sailed off into the sunset! :D

Hugs
Nuccia
Hi Nuccia,

I could only dream it was because a nice handsome guy had all my attention. But alas, poor little ole me can't even find a nice guy to date.:( (boo hoo hoo) Hand me the crying towel.lol

Will gab soon!!
hugs
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

:evil: Computers are a lot less trouble than men :evil:

Stick with ancestry!!
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Marisa6 wrote::evil: Computers are a lot less trouble than men :evil:

Stick with ancestry!!
Oh Oh, sounds like someone's upset with the "other" sex!!! What happened? Did he track mud all over the clean floor? :lol: :lol: :lol: Get out the slipper, Marisa!!!!

Trish, there are lots of very good looking Canadian men up here...you're always welcome. There's a place in my home for you always and I can even screen them first if you like (you know...ask for financial statemwnts and such, make sure the have all their teeth, etc...) just a screening interview like we learned in HR classes...then you could do the second interview. What do you think? :idea:
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

:evil: He would probably enjoy the slipper :evil:

I thought I would try out the pay-per-view version of ancestry available on the UK site. Its £4.95 for ten credits valid for fourteen days - and boy am I having fun. But for some reason he seems to think that I should be putting the kids to bed and tidying the place up - like it isn't tidy already :evil: :evil: :evil:

AND - he just called me half way across the house because he doesn't know how to turn the volume down on the TV!!! Doesn't he understand about genealogy?????

Marisa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oh is that all? Been fighting with my husband since I bought ancestry in December! He feels is ok to come home and lie on the sofa all night and every weekend because hes tired and doesn't want to do anything bu he expects me to go to work all day (I start at 4 am now, cook dinner, clean, do the laundry, dishes, etc ) and has the nerve to say because I;m on the computer, I do nothing all day! Logic...there isn't any! Throw bleach (alot of it) in his underwear, and cancel the cable, throw out the batteries and hide the converter. The serve him hot dogs for dinner....Then tell hm to go turn the soil, plant the garden, paint the kitchen, buy you a self clean oven and dishwasher and tell him them for some strange reason, (the doctor thinks its stress) but you have been on your cycle for days and can't have sex...cry to make it look good and tell him your really depressed! This should shut him up!

I also put up a calendar on my fridge with the heading "The Stupid Things My Husband Says and Does"...after 1 week, he took it down and hasn't said a word since...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

:D :D :D You have a wicked streak :lol:

I must try some of that stuff - but not the cable - its the only thing that gets me peace!!
Rosana

Post by Rosana »

Hello,

Is this information still available in this site? "The U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942". I have been looking but no luck finding it. Help? :shock:
Thanks!
“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
Leonardo da Vinci
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Rosana!
You may want to start a new post and include the information on who you are looking for in the 1942 Draft Cards. They should contain folks born between "28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old"
Many of the cards can be found on the FamilySearch site:
https://www.familysearch.org/
vj
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Rosana - as VJ suggests start a new post and check out the Family Search site for free extractions. We are still currently extracting several hundred records so if you don't find what you're looking for right away don't give up. There are more on the way.
As for this thread - it's more of a joke thread between two people who have warped senses of humour!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

Fun reading, better than family histories!!! Hi Trish...wondered why you have been silent on the other forum. Your many friends love you. Who needs Mr Right???

Carolyn