health cover in Europe

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Luca1969

Re: health cover in Europe

Post by Luca1969 »

Can someone explain what has this to do with genealogy?
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Nothing. Please note the multiple topics covered in this section. Board index ‹ Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Luca1969

Post by Luca1969 »

I did, I read it as well as its the description: Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations

For anything else other than genealogy there is a Off Topic section
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

For many Italian-Americans, myself and my fiancee included and it seems like more being added every day, the initial interest in geneology has led to dual citizenship, permanent residency in Italy or other EU countries, excellent healthcare, etc. So yes, the subject we've been talking about here is definitely related to the topic.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

I am wondering what the procedures are for obtaining health cover outside of Italy. I think you need to get a form E106 or E120 (an EU form) from the Italian govt and then you take that to the authorities in the country in which you reside eg France or Spain. Anyone familiar with this?
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

http://www.salute.gov.it/assistenzaSani ... tieservizi this seems to suggest you need to be resident in Italy. I am relying on google chrome's translation though.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Yes, this is correct. In order to obtain Italian healthcare that you wish to transfer to another country in the EU, you would have to be an Italian resident first. The only way you can obtain Italian healthcare is by living in Italy.

As an Italian citizen, you can move to any country you choose in the EU but you would have to utilize that country's own healthcare system and Italy would not be involved at all.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

As an Italian citizen, you can move to any country you choose in the EU but you would have to utilize that country's own healthcare system and Italy would not be involved at all.
So, as an Italian citizen, living in the USA, never having resided in Italy, I could move to France and join the French healthcare system?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Yes, you could as long as you have obtained official residence in France.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Jenna your two statements seem contradictory. "In order to obtain Italian healthcare that you wish to transfer to another country in the EU, you would have to be an Italian resident first." and "Yes, you could as long as you have obtained official residence in France." Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Gary, if you are going to move directly to Spain after you obtain your Italian passport, you would just establish official residency in Spain and then apply for healthcare on the Spanish system.

If you are going to move to Italy after you obtain your Italian passport, you would establish residency in Italy and then apply for healthcare on the Italian system. If at some point you moved to Spain from Italy, you would need to transfer your Italian healthcare from the Italian system to the Spanish system that is when you would need the forms you're talking about.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Ok, that is what I understood you to say but wanted to make sure. Thanks!
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Ok, now I have my Italian passport. So I need to go to the Azienda Sanitaria Locale. What documents do I need? I suppose, besides the passaporto, I need a lease. Does it need to be for a certain period of time e.g. 12 months? We are planning to rent short term for a while as least. The landlords pay the utilities in short term leases so I hope those bills would not be necessary.

Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If you're planning to remain in Italy longer than three months, before you can go to the ASL, you must go to your Comune and apply for residency by submitting your lease or purchase agreement to the Anagrafe. At that point, you will be given instructions on when you can visit the ASL to activate your healthcare and be assigned a primary physician.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

thanks! do you know if the lease needs to be at least X months? Seems like it needs to be at least for 3.