RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Post by castle34 »

Does anyone know how to determine if a father or grandfather ever renounced his Italian citizenship? Both (paternal heritage and maternal heritage) were naturalized as American citizens. Does this mean their Italian citizenship was automatically renounced? Is there some agency in either the U.S. or Italy that keeps these kinds of records?

Also, my mother was required to become naturalized in 1944 because of WWII and Italy was considered an enemy to the U.S. Was her Italian citizenship automatically renounced when she became an American citizen?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RENUNCIATION OF iTALIAN CITIZNSHIP

Post by JJ313 »

Prior to August 15, 1992 Italian citizens who naturalized in a foreign country lost their Italian citizenship. If your mother naturalized in 1944 then she would have lost her Italian citizenship. There was a brief period in 1992 and later where you could reacquire citizenship. That period has passed but citizenship can be reacquired by declaring your intent at your consulate and establishing residency in Italy.

Naturalization records are kept in several places in the US. The main repository is USCIS, NARA and for prior to about 1930 the local courts.

The consulates keep records of anyone voluntarily renouncing citizenship in that consulate. They do not track who lost citizenship through naturalization.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

JJ313

You seem to be so knowledgeable about this process.I have another question for you. My husband was born 7 December 1931. His father was naturalizede in 1936. Can my husband claim Italian citizenship through his father?

Also, I was born in 1934. My mother was naturalzed in 1944 Can I claim Italian citizenship trugh her?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Your husband wil qualify through his father if your husband was born in the US. If he was born in another country even Italy he would have lost Italian citizenship when his father naturalized.

Unfortunately you would not qualify for citizenship through your mother as women were not permitted were not permitted to pass citizenship until the constitution went into effect on 1/1/1948. Some people have challenged that law in Italian courts but the outcome is not certain and the action is costly.

If your husband is recognized then you would be able to claim citizenship through marriage if you were married prior to 1983.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

jj313

My goodness. Your are certainly very knowledgeable about these things. I'm very glad that my husband would qualify since it is important to him and to our children. I'm assuming that if he qualifies for Italian citizenship then our children would also qualify.

I will probably try through my paternal grandfather or grandmother or my maternal grandfather or grandmother.

But it more important to me tht my husband and children qualify.

Thank you so much for your information. I am extremely grateful.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

If your husband qualifies then your children also qualify. One thing to consider is the wait time to get an appointment in NY, it is approximately a one year wait. Boston is a little quicker but not by much. You may want to book appointments now and then collect all the documents.

You do not have to qualify on your own through a separate line because you married an Italian citizen which confers citizenship to you as you were married prior to 1983. All you would need to supply would be your birth certificate along with your husband's documents.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

JJ313

Thank you for your kind words about not being an imposition. I hope you don't live to regret them

It suddenly occurred to me that I may be going about this in the wrong way.

If my husband is granted Italian citizenship through his father (he was born in 1931 and his father wasn't naturalized until 1936) does this automtically confer Italian citizenshp on my children? They were born between 1960 and 1967. Or does each of them have to go through the same process their father did?

As for myself,should my husband gain Italian citizenship,I will certainly try to gain Italian citizenship through our marriage.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I gather that you were successful in your quesst. If so, congratulations on your perservence and your achievement.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Since your children are adults, tthey will have to apply on their own. Your children's minor children would be automatically recognized along with their parents. Any adult grandchildren (age 18 or over) would also have to apply separately.

If you are all applying at the same consulate, it simplifies the process, but it will work out either way. Let us know the jurisdiction(s) in which you and your children reside.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, all my chldren are adults.

My husband and I live in Connecticut. One child lives in Boston, one in New York, two in Connecticut and one in New Zealand. The one in Boston has three adult children. The one in New Zealand has two minor children.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

:D ...a nice big Italian family.

You will need to go through three different consulates. Connecticut and NY will use the NY consulate. Your child living in Boston will apply there, and if your other child legally resides in New Zealand, he/she must apply there.

Probably the easiest approach is to have your husband apply first. Try to schedule an appointment for him and your three children who also live in the jurisdiction of NY. In this way, you will all be using the same qualifying documents. Once your husband's citizenship is recognized, your children and grandchildren living in the other jurisdictions should be able to apply by referencing their father's application. They may want to contact their own consulates to determine what specific information they will need and what documentation they must provide.

In terms of your husband's documentation, he will need:

His grandfather's Italian bc
His grandmother' Italian bc
His grandparent's marriage certificate
Death certificates for both grandparents
His grandfather's naturalization certificate

Note that US documents for direct line ancestors (except the naturalization certificate) must have apostilles and be translated.

He will need the same documents for both his parents and again his father's papers will require apostilles and translations.

Your husband, you, your children and your grandchildren will all need birth certificates and marriage certificates, if applicable ( all with apostilles and all translated)

You will also have to download several forms from the NY consulate's website that will need to be completed.

In the meantime, set up your appointments. During the wait time, you can begin to get your documents together.

It seems like a daunting task, but it's all quite doable and a lot of fun too. Best of luck.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Sorry, duplicate post
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

To mler

Thanks very much for the info. Yes, it does seem like a daunting task. But as my children often tell me, you are retired now and have nothing to do.

I do have one question, though. My husband was born in the US, in 1931.

His father was born in Italy, emigratd to the U.S. and became naturalized in 1936.

In view of this, do we still need the bc's and dc's of my husband's grandparents. They were born in Italy, never emigrated and died in Italy.

Thankis for your reply.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My apologies, I got carried away. :) No, you only need to start with his parents.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

I am not sre of the procedure when physicaly applying for Italian citizenship in the New York City Italian Consulate. My husband and three of our chidren will be applying there. Should they make appointments all on the same day? If they do, must each ndividual have his/her own set of documents or will one set be sufficient for all four? What is the best way to handle this? Thanks for a reply.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Difficult to say. I applied in NY with my adult son, but that was about seven years ago, and things may have changed a bit since then. You will need to call for appointments, and I would suggest that, at that time, you inform them that your husband and three children will be applying using the same line, and request consecutive appointments, with your husband going first. In that way, when your children go in, they will simply add their papers to your husband's file, and things will move quickly.

Your children will not have to duplicate the documents submitted by your husband, but they will need to bring their own birth certificates, marriage certificates, and birth certificates for their minor children. These documents will not be submitted by your husband. His application ends with your marriage certificate.

BTW, you should also tell them that you would like to accompany your husband since you were married before 1983, and are therefore automatically eligible through him.

Do this soon, though. The NY consulate is quite busy, so you will have a bit of a wait especially for so many applicants.