Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjdonini

Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Post by mjdonini »

I am searching for great-grandfather who worked for Il Progresso Italian Newspaper.
Family name is Defrancesco and I believe the first name was Gerald or Harold.
Had several children at least one son and some daughters one of whom became a teacher.
Lived in Jersey City/North Bergen area in 1930's-1940's
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Defrancesco and Il Progresso

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a City Directory index for 1936...

U.S. City Directories (Beta)

Name: Harold P Defrancesco
Residence Year: 1936
Street Address: 986 E 24th
Residence Place: Paterson; Haledon; Hawthorne; Propsect Park; Little Falls; Totowa; West Paterson, New Jersey
Spouse: Anna H Defrancesco
Publication Title: Paterson, New Jersey, City Directory, 1936

Same address in 1939 Directory...
U.S. City Directories (Beta)

Name: Anna Defrancesco
Residence Year: 1939
Street Address: 11 Mrs seamstress It 986 E 24th
Residence Place: Paterson; Haledon; Hawthorne; Propsect Park; Little Falls; Totowa; West Paterson, New Jersey
Publication Title: Paterson, New Jersey, City Directory, 1939

T.
mjdonini

Post by mjdonini »

Thanks Tessa but I am not sure this is the same Defrancesco I am looking for. Do you know anything about this family that might help me to be sure?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Sorry, only what I found above in a search... :(

Do you have an approx. date of birth for Harold/Gerald? Maybe we can find a census record for the family in North Bergen :-)

T.
mjdonini

Post by mjdonini »

Tessa,
Mea culpa!
This link led me to Gennaro Defrancesco in Paterson. Residence at 261 E 21st St. in 1936
Wife Rosa. I had the first name wrong it is Gennaro not Gerald and he did work for IlProgresso in New York
Bt 1940's they lived at 50 Henry Ave in Palisades Park
I am trying to reunite with their descendants. I thought they had a son, Harold, (I could have that name wrong too )who would have been born circa 1920 and fathered a son, Gerald, with Rose Comito. Rose remarried and Gerald was adopted by her new husband. We would be most appreciative of any information you might have
Thanks again, I am excited to have gotten this far.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mjdonini wrote:Tessa,
Mea culpa!
This link led me to Gennaro Defrancesco in Paterson. Residence at 261 E 21st St. in 1936
Wife Rosa. I had the first name wrong it is Gennaro not Gerald and he did work for IlProgresso in New York
Bt 1940's they lived at 50 Henry Ave in Palisades Park
I am trying to reunite with their descendants. I thought they had a son, Harold, (I could have that name wrong too )who would have been born circa 1920 and fathered a son, Gerald, with Rose Comito. Rose remarried and Gerald was adopted by her new husband. We would be most appreciative of any information you might have
Thanks again, I am excited to have gotten this far.
Here is the WWII Registration Card for Gennaro... in case you don't already have it :-)

He is living at 50 Henry Ave., Palisades Park.
DOB is listed as Dec. 16, 1881, in Naples
According to this record, he works for "Progresso Italo-American Co." on Elk St., NYC

You can use this site to help find them in the 1940 US Census (searchable by address)
http://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

T.
mjdonini

Post by mjdonini »

Yes, i have been able to find this info on Gennaro and his wife, Rosa, but cannot find a list of their children. I believe the Harold you located is their son I am trying to trace. It appears that he was married to Anna in the late 30's and they had a daughter Rosanna born about 1936. (Paterson city directory and 1940 census) After that I cannot find anything about Harold but I suspect he divorced Anna as she lives with her parents after that. That must be the time he fathered a son, born in 1941 and I think he lived in Highland Park, NJ sometime after that before divorcing again. It is our understanding that he moved to PA after that--perhaps Philadelphia. Our objective is to find family history and any descendents of Harold, and/or Gennaro, my husband's father and grandfather. Thanks again for your help - we have come far thanks to you.
Kinross

Post by Kinross »

One my my great...grandmothers was named Anna Comito, born in the mid 1880's. She married Leonardo Fornabaio in Stigliano probably in where my father's family lived. I don't know if she was from Stigliano. Can anyone help me?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Kinross wrote:One my my great...grandmothers was named Anna Comito, born in the mid 1880's. She married Leonardo Fornabaio in Stigliano probably in where my father's family lived. I don't know if she was from Stigliano. Can anyone help me?
Generally, brides marry in their own hometown, so it is a good possibility, if they married in Stigliano, that is where Anna Comito lived.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Kinross,

I have located a marriage bann document in Stigliano in 1897.

Groom is Leonardo Fornabaio, age 28, peasant farmer son of deceased Giuseppe and of Anna Cacciatore.
Bride is Anna Dimase, age 19, peasant farmer daughter of Giuseppe, age 62, and of deceased Margherita Mercadante.

What do you think?

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mjdonini wrote:Yes, i have been able to find this info on Gennaro and his wife, Rosa, but cannot find a list of their children. I believe the Harold you located is their son I am trying to trace. It appears that he was married to Anna in the late 30's and they had a daughter Rosanna born about 1936. (Paterson city directory and 1940 census) After that I cannot find anything about Harold but I suspect he divorced Anna as she lives with her parents after that. That must be the time he fathered a son, born in 1941 and I think he lived in Highland Park, NJ sometime after that before divorcing again. It is our understanding that he moved to PA after that--perhaps Philadelphia. Our objective is to find family history and any descendents of Harold, and/or Gennaro, my husband's father and grandfather. Thanks again for your help - we have come far thanks to you.
Hi, here the children list:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 about Gennaro De Francesco
Name: Gennaro De Francesco
Birth Date: 16 Dec 1881
Spouse's Name: Rosa
Children: Vincenzo, Teresa, Auslina, Paolo, Pasquale, Maria, Evelina, Gaetano
Arrival Date: 1905
Naturalization Date: 5 Oct 1927
State: New York
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Eastern District, New York
Naturalization Record Type: Petition

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
RosalieDrago

Post by RosalieDrago »

Hello. Harold DeFrancesco was my father. Son of Gennaro and Rosalie (whom I am named after). The had three brothers (Vinny, Paul, Guy) and three sisters (Theresa, Lynn and Angie).
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Rosalie, Harold Pasquale De Francesco was my father.