Cascarino/lanni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cascarino/lanni

Post by stuartcapaldi »

Mazzie

On 3 October 1890 Lorenzo Lanni married Margaret Powell both living at Rodney Street Glasgow. Best man was Carmine Boni

Any relation?
Stuart Capaldi
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

I wish I knew Stuart. I only know the descendants of my great grandparents and I only recently discovered that I had another great uncle Antonio Lanni.
I don't know if my great grandfather had any siblings.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Mazzie, i had alook at the Birth records in Cassino today, and found the following:

Francesco Lanni B.1875
Father - Tommaso Lanni
Mother - Francesca Melaragni

Antonio Lanni B.1873
Raffaele B.1877
Father - Tommaso Lanni
Mother - Angela Rosa Melaragni

Angelo Lanni B.1871
Filomena Lanni B.1877
Father - Benedetto Lanni
Mother - Scolastica Melaragni

Felice Lanni B.1872
Father - Carmine Lanni
Mother - Maria P__schio?

Cosmo Lanni B.1875
Father - Giovanni Battista Lanni
Mother - Andreica Cavaliere

and lots, lots more Lanni's!

Some of the Fathers, could be a brother to your Tommaso?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

Thanks. Well it looks like the Lanni's were well in with the Melaragni's. Tommaso seems to have impregnated two, unless Francesca used a different name.

This information is really helpful.
Pfl

Post by Pfl »

Petronilla Lanni was my grandmother. She married Francesco Franchitto around 1910. Francesco emigrated to the USA and nine years later Petronilla and her 8 yr old daughter, Frances came over. My mother, Elizabeth and her twin sister (who died at birth) were born in December of 1920. Both Frances and Elizabeth are deceased. Frances and her husband, Angelo Antonelli had two daughters, Beatrice and Marion both are deceased. My mother, Elizabeth and her husband William j Doherty had two daughters and one son all still living in the Boston area.
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

Thanks for your reply. That will make you my second cousin then. We have traced some of our other second cousins (and met up with them). Two still live in Worcester (Frank and Josephine) and one lives near York. The latter was the granddaughter of Antonio Lanni, one of Petronilla's brothers. I did know about Francesco Franchitto and Frances and Elizabeth but nothing more. I'm giong to be away for a few days now so, if you reply to my post, don't be surprised if you don't get a reply straight away.
Pfl

Post by Pfl »

Thanks for your reply. I too will be away for more than two weeks. I can add that Marion had four children (all in the Boston area), Beatrice had two daughters (also in Boston area). Elizabeth had three children all in Boston area. Most of us have families. Where are you located?
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

I live in Brighton, England but I was brought up in Rednal, Birmingham. That is on the outskirts of Birmingham, near to the Worcestershire border. My mother was Petronilla's niece. Unfortunately my mother died in 1994. Her maiden name was Lena Cascarina. She had two sisters, Frances and Clementina (Clem) and two half sisters, Rosa and Mary Vetesse (my grandmother lost her first husband). All my aunts are deceased and I never met my grandparents, because they died before I was born. I am the youngest of seven, although there are only four of us left now.
Pfl

Post by Pfl »

Thank you for your reply. My mother Elizabeth Franchitto Doherty and her sister Frances Franchitto Antonelli are both deceased. France's daughters Beatrice Antonelli Mendes and Marion Antonelli Sestito are also deceased as are their spouses. We have a lot of cancer in this side of the family including my mother, Marion, Beatrice, my cousins Donna Sestito Splaine, Sandra Mendes Fardie and myself. I hope that isn't the case for your family in England.
I am very interested in knowing more about the family ice cream business. I was quite surprised to learn that it is still in existence.
I just returned from two weeks in France and am exhausted! We walked Paris four days!
I hope that all is well with you and your family in Brighton.
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

We have cancer in our family too, I hate to say. I have had breast cancer but I have been cancer free for five years now. My sister, Sylvia, died in 1977 of cancer of the cervix. Three of my nieces have had treatment for pre cancerous cells on the cervix. Just to add to it my Granddad Cascarina died of lung cancer and there is Breast cancer on the English side of the family (my aunt and cousin). We also have a high incidence of TB. My brother died in 1950, aged 21 months, from TB. My mom's sister, Frances, died of TB and two of Francesco Lanni's daughters died young of TB (he was Petronilla's brother).
I think that the ice cream business has not been continued lately. Francesco used to order everything in bulk, then sell it to his sons. His sons then made and sold the ice cream.
For the last two days I have had my second cousin, Alison Morgan (nee Lanni) staying with me. Her grandfather was Antonio Lanni, another of Petronilla's brothers. I have an email address mazzawashington@gmail.com if you would like to contact me privately and I can email you some photos of the family. I would be interested to see photos of Petronilla and her descendants. I have a photo, which I think might be Petronilla, with a little girl. It would be interesting to know if I am right.
Paris sounds lovely. I hope you had a good time (even if your feet are killing you...bunions run in the family too).
Stuart Lannie

Post by Stuart Lannie »

Mazzie

On 3 October 1890 Lorenzo Lanni married Margaret Powell both living at Rodney Street Glasgow. Best man was Carmine Boni

Any relation?

Hello Mazzie,

I am searching for information on my Great Great Grandfather Lorenci Lannie who Married Margaret Powell.

I am one of many descendants living in N.Ireland and would love to find out where in Italy he came from and who his Parents where?

Lorenzo or Lorenci Lanni was the Father of Andrew Lannie b 1891 d 1950. (E added in Scotland, maybe by census?)
Andrew came to The North of Ireland and married a Belfast Girl Esther Quinn and, not sure of date of Wedding, just starting on the path.

They had four children including my Grandfather James Mateer Quinn Lannie b 1930

My grandfather is known to us as Len Lannie. He had one Son James Robert Lannie B 1955 and three daughters

My Dad is James Robert Lannie and he had 4 sons and one Daughter

Robert James Lannie b 1974

Me Stuart Lannie b 1976

Ross Andrew William Lannie b1982

Marc Denis Lannie b 1988
Katrina Elizabeth Susan Lannie

I am hoping to visit Italy In the next couple of years and would love to visit an area that Lonernci came from

Any help appreciated.

One last point, the story of the Wedding and the court in Glasgow, was that in relation to my great great grandfather's wedding?

Thank you

Stuart Lannie (Lanni)
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

The only answer I can give you is that I don't know. My Lanni relatives originated in Cassino. The spelling of Lannie is used by our relatives in Worcester, which is where they settled. My great uncle Francesco added the e on the end of the name, because the customers kept mispronouncing the name. They made and sold Italian ice cream for many years. Just to complicate matters my grandmother was born in England, while my great grandparents were living here. The registrar spelled the name Lanne, so she was called Pasquarella Lanne (Lanni). She used the name Pasqualina (just to confuse things further).
It is very strange that your family also used the Lannie spelling. I have to say that I have never heard of Lorenzo but it is possible that he was related to my ancestors. If I get any helpful information I will let you know.
Marilyn Washington
Stuart Lannie

Post by Stuart Lannie »

Thanks Marilyn

I appreciate your time.
dsbrown

Post by dsbrown »

Hi Mazzie

I have married into the Lannie family and have done a lot of research on the Worcester families since the 1890's ish. Have seen the Latin copies of Cascarino's Lanni's and Vettesse marriages held in the Hive, Worcester and it's been very interesting reading these posts which give hints into the Lanni's life before Worcester. Do you have scanned photos of any of the Worcester families? Do you have a drawn up family tree? (as best as possible). I could always send you my personal email if you like but as I have just joined I find that the PM system does not let me use it yet :(
dsbrown

Post by dsbrown »

Hi again Mazzie

Can I just clarify some of your posts and history.....Your grandmother was Pasquarella (Pasqualina) Cascarino (nee Lanni) that being her second marriage after her first husband Antonio Vettese died soon after that first marriage. Francesco Lanni was Pasquarella's brother. Tomasso and Francesca were their parents. You did say that Pasquarella was born in the UK when Tomasso and his wife were over here? Where and when was she born?...and was Francesco Lanni also born over here? would love to hear more about why Tomasso was over here and how long he stayed etc......I was at the funeral of one of the Worcester Lannies recently and we were talking over the history of the family and I have arranged some visits hoping to find more old pictures.
cheers
Sean