Qualification for Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mexicocaribbean

Qualification for Italian citizenship

Post by mexicocaribbean »

I'm trying to help 2 friend to see if they qualify for Italian citizenship.

1. He was born in Italy in 1949 and emigrated to the U.S. in 1957, then joined the army and because a U.S. citizen in 1970. Is he eligible for Italian citizenship?

2. My friend was born in 1954 to an Italian mother. Her mother was born in Italy in 1926 and emigrated to Canada and became a Canadian citizen in 1936. She (mother) then moved to the U.S. and became a U.S. citizen in 1970. Is my friend eligible for Italian citizenship since her mother did not become a U.S. citizen until 1970 or is she ineligible because her mother became a Canadian citizen in 1936?

thanks
mler
Master
Master

Re: Qualification for Italian citizenship

Post by mler »

Your first friend can reacquire his Italian citizenship by declaring his intention to do so and establishing residency in Italy within a year of making the declaration. This need not be a permanent residency, and specific instructions can be found on the site of the NY Consulate.

Your second friend's mother naturalized in Canada before your friend was born. She lost her Italian citizenship at that time and could not pass it to your friend.
mexicocaribbean

Post by mexicocaribbean »

In the case of my friend whose mother lost her citizenship because of becoming a Canadian citizen, what would happen if she were to apply for Italian citizenship and only showed her U.S. naturalization certificate?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Your friend would be submitting a false application and obtaining citizenship improperly.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Also, her mother's records would indicate her presence in Canada. In fact, her naturalization papers likely note her Canadian citizenship. Even if they don't, she would then have to prove that her mother never naturalized while she lived in that country, in her case an impossibility.

Your friend would qualify through citizenship with a three-year residency in Italy.