Residence and citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cb1988

Residence and citizenship

Post by cb1988 »

Hi,
a friend of mine wants to get Italian citizenship jure sanguinis and asked me to get some info.
All the requirements about situation of ancestors are quite clear, but I have one more question: I was told that residence in Italy is necessary BEFORE requesting citizenship, i.e. residence certificate is one of the documents that must be produced. I found no reference to this in your posts. Can someone explain me about this matter?
Ciccio
mler
Master
Master

Re: Residence and citizenship

Post by mler »

There is absolutely no residency requirement for jure sanguinis citizenship recognition. Where did you get that information? Visit the website of his local consulate. Specific document requirements should be listed there.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If you are applying outside Italy and through a consulate, you must be resident in the state that the consulate has jurisdiction over. If you're applying in Italy, you must be a resident of the Comune that you ask to process your application.
cb1988

Post by cb1988 »

Does this mean you can choose where to apply (Italy or local consulate) or does it depend on your residence? If you can choose, do you have advantages choosing one or the other?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You get to choose only in the sense that you choose where you reside. If you reside outside of Italy, you apply at the consulate that serves your jurisdiction. If you reside in Italy, you apply at your comune.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

There are long wait times at many consulates, but during that time you can gather your documents and address any problems. Applying in Italy sometimes goes more quickly, but that often depends on the comune and how accustomed it is to handling applications of this sort. To apply in Italy, you must legally establish residency there, and during the process, you will have to remain there.
cb1988

Post by cb1988 »

Thank you, now I understand.