Mother born in Canada, I was born in US, eligible?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ji821

Mother born in Canada, I was born in US, eligible?

Post by ji821 »

Hi everyone,

My mother was born in Montreal to two non-naturalized Italian parents, who were only temporarily in the country and waiting to become US citizens. They were naturalized as US citizens in the following decade. I seem to qualify under section 4, but the only thing that is not consistent was that I am not born in the same country as my mother. However, if citizenship is to flow by blood, she never renounced her citizenship and was "born" with it, so this shouldn't affect my eligibility, correct?

Thank you in advance!!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Mother born in Canada, I was born in US, eligible?

Post by mler »

No problem as long as your mother did not naturalize in the US before you were born.
ji821

Post by ji821 »

unfortunately she did, does that really cut off the line? she was born canadian and became american so i thought that she never technically even had an italian citizenship that she lose by becoming american
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

She had Italian citizenship when she was born and retained it up until the time she naturalized unless she naturalized in 1992 or later. Were you born before or after her naturalization?
ji821

Post by ji821 »

after her naturalization - i was born in 1990 and i think she was naturalized in 68
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Darn. Any possibility through your father's line?
ji821

Post by ji821 »

Not really - he was born in Italy but was naturalized and renounced his Italian citizenship (military) before I was born. If he reacquires it can it be passed to me?

How about my mom - can she reacquire it herself?

Thank you so much for your help..
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Your father can reacquire his citizenship through a simple procedure begun at the consulate and continued during a brief trip to Italy. You mother can obtain citizenship through him as his spouse. You would need to reside italy for three years.

There is one additional possibility. When did your parents marry, and was it before or after your father naturalized.
ji821

Post by ji821 »

After his naturalization.

In order for me to acquire it by living in Italy for three years would he have to have already reacquired it?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Ok, then the only way for you is the residency route. Since your father was Italian (and this can easily be proven) you are entitled to expedited citizenship, which means a three-year residency rather than the normal ten. Check with your consulate on specifics in terms of visas and paperwork. I don't believe you will be permitted to work there, but you can attend school. Best of luck to you.
ji821

Post by ji821 »

Thank you again for your help. I have an appointment for next year in the NYC consulate, do you think I should discuss it then or is there a faster route to speak with them? I will be in Italy this summer - is there an authority i can start the process with?

Also, since the required documents for category 4 don't ask for mother's naturalization forms, is it even worth bringing all the documents to them that I have prepared? Or will the fact that my mother's birth certificate is in Canada prompt them to ask about her naturalization.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The reason they don't ask for your mother's naturalization documents is because she was not born in Italy. Her Canadian birth certificate will most definitely prompt them to ask for proof that she never naturalized in the US. I'm not too familiar with the three-year naturalization process, but I don't think it's necessary to wait for a year to get things started.

Try posting your question at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org and www.expatsinitaly.com I'm sure you'll get some helpful responses on either or both of these sites.