Sending Payment to Italy, and Pre-Paid Postage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thomasfarina

Sending Payment to Italy, and Pre-Paid Postage

Post by thomasfarina »

What is the proper method for sending a payment to a government office in Italy for a record request? Also, how would one go about sending a pre-paid postage envelope for the request? I don't imagine that a personal check would be cashable overseas ... and I don't imagine the post office has italian postage.

Thanks for anybody's help ....
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sending Payment to Italy, and Pre-Paid Postage

Post by adelfio »

It cost a 1.60 euro to send a letter from Italy to the USA at one time people use IRC's international reply coupons from the post office which use to be $2.10 each coupon so you use to have to buy two to cover the cost of 1.60 euro because of the rate exchange.I dont know if they even sell them any more last ones I brought I had to buy online.
I actually had a kind person in Italy buy me some Italian stamps for just that purpose for return letters.
Did a comune request postage from you?
I have only had the Archivio di Stato's request money for the record and handling usually around 6.60 euro which I have paid by western union international money order

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
thomasfarina

Re: Sending Payment to Italy, and Pre-Paid Postage

Post by thomasfarina »

Thanks ... It looks like USPS still sells IRCs online ... also, 1.60 Euro is equivalent to $2.00 right now, so I suppose only one would suffice if the letter was standard weight.

No, I did not have a commune request postage or a fee, but it seems like a courteous thing to do, as well as prudent to encourage a response. Since just about every vital records office in the U.S. requires a self-addressed stamped envelope I assumed overseas offices would too.