Ranucci immigrated from Gaeta (Elena)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Ranucci immigrated from Gaeta (Elena)

Post by nancy711 »

I am trying to locate the passenger manifest of Filippo Cosmo Ranucci born in 1871 in Gaeta (Elena). His parents were Erasmo Ranucci and Filomena Munna (Manno). He married Nunziata Prestagiovanna in 1898 in Gaeta (Elena). His US Federal Census records state that he immigrated either in 1904 or 1907 (depending on which one you look at). Since most of his relatives and friends immigrated through Port of Boston with a destination of Somerville, MA, I believe he did too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ranucci immigrated from Gaeta (Elena)

Post by Tessa78 »

nancy711 wrote:I am trying to locate the passenger manifest of Filippo Cosmo Ranucci born in 1871 in Gaeta (Elena). His parents were Erasmo Ranucci and Filomena Munna (Manno). He married Nunziata Prestagiovanna in 1898 in Gaeta (Elena). His US Federal Census records state that he immigrated either in 1904 or 1907 (depending on which one you look at). Since most of his relatives and friends immigrated through Port of Boston with a destination of Somerville, MA, I believe he did too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello :-)

Can you post this US Census (or a link to it)?

I located two manifests for Filippo Cosmo Ranucci, born 1871,shoemaker, from Elena.
The 1926 manifest (May 3 on SS Martha Washtington into NY) states that he leaves his wife Giovanna in Elena, and he is traveling to son Francesco Ranucci in Somerville, MA
On this 1926 manifest he states that he was in US before 1906/1925, and there is a handwritten notation "Shows outward bound went 88965 Pres. Wilson 11/25/25"

The 1927 manifest shows the same information, but he is "crossed off" so it appears that he may not have sailed.

T.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Thank you for the response. I did find the passenger manifests that you identified (I also received the immigration papers that Cosmo (and his second wife Civita Prestagiovanni) completed when they returned to Italy in 1925. It appears he returned to America alone in 1926, then must have gone back to Italy again, and then was planning on returning to America again in 1927, but was crossed off. I believe that he never did return and died in Italy, but I have not yet found documents proving that.

I have tried to attach the .jpg images, but keep receiving the message "Sorry,the board attachment quota has been reached." I'll provide the links:

In the US Census dated 1910, Cosmo is listed on Line #72 as Cosmo Rannuis. You can see that in that document it states that he immigrated in 1907. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M2V5-MP2

In the US Census dated 1920, Cosmo is listed on Line #12 as Cosmo Anouch. You can see that in that document t states that he immigrated in 1904. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MX16-DVR
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you for posting the links :-)

I see the immigration dates you mentioned. And the address on the 1920 Census is the same as the destination address on the 1926 manifest (22 South St.). However, there is no Francesco Ranucci at the address :?

My other thoughts...
On both manifests Cosmo(Filippo) lists his occupation as "shoemaker" and on the two census records above, he is a "laborer"...
Between 1910 and 1920 Census, Cosmo has aged 15 years...
And I am a little confused... he is listed with wife MARY on the 1920 Census, yet indicates that he leaves his wife GIOVANNA in Elena on the 1926 manifest.

More questions, than answers, I guess :(
Maybe one or both of these records are NOT your Cosmo?

Have you written to the comune for a death record?

T.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Yes, I at first was confused, too. Cosmo Filippo had a daughter Francesca Ranucci who had immigrated at 12 years old with her aunt Civita Prestagiovanni (the sister of her mother and Cosmo's first wife). One month after their arrival, Cosmo and Civita married (therefore, he married his sister-in-law).
Because Cosmo had another daughter, Civita Ranucci, also here in America at that time, there seemed always to be confusion with both Civitas. Therefore, I was told the Civita the elder wanted to be called a different name (I guess she liked the name Mary or Maria).
Also, I was also told that Cosmo (and Civita) were for the most part illiterate (even though documents may have said differently). His (and her) age is different on just about every document...I don't think they may have actually known themselves. So it does not surprise me that it shows up differently.
And finally, I believe that the GIOVANNA he refers to as his wife in Italy is Civita PrestaGIOVANNI and it was either understood incorrectly when given.
After talking with the remaining grandchildren of Cosmo (now in their 80's & 90's), I am convinced that the Cosmo in all of those documents is the Cosmo that I am looking for. I have twice requested documents from the Stato Civile di Gaeta, waited 6 months both times, and never received responses (the last time I sent euros for any trouble, but still nothing).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I am glad to hear that the pieces fit for the records you have found! :-D

As for sending to the comune for records...
Some respond quickly, some more slowly, and some not at all, sadly :(
You may wish to try the state archives, instead.

T.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I continue to search for the passenger list of Filippo Cosmo when he first immigrated between 1904-1907. I suspect that his name is badly misspelled and that is why I am having so much difficulty.