Famoso Family Records - Check & Help, Please!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Famoso Family Records - Check & Help, Please!

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I'd appreciate some help/double checking with these two, please.

The first is a marriage record (#17) for Giovanni Famoso, 25, *occupation I cannot decipher* (caller?), who married Anna Vincenza Sebastiana Pirolli, 21, *occupation I cannot decipher*, daughter of Francesco Pirolli and Elisabetta ??. I am almost positive it says Giovanni is a "son of the state" but I have no idea what that means and I cannot decipher where he was born beyond Napoli ___ ___. Also, Anna was born in Caserta, her father is deceased and her mother lives in Marcianise. The wedding occurred on March __, 1879.

The second is a birth record (#237) for their son, Luigi Arturo Famoso, born in Marcianise on July (??) 1882. Same issues here with the occupations of the parents.

Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Famoso Family Records - Check & Help, Please!

Post by PippoM »

Giovanni Famoso, bandista, figlio dello stato;
Pirolli Anna Vincenza Sebastiana, donna di casa, daughter of the deceased Francesco and of Zampella Elisabetta.
Giovanni was born in Napoli, sezione (can't read, it is one of the municipalities of the Commune of Napoli; so, if want to look for his birth act, you have to look in the records for that section).
They married March 13th, 1879.
If I understand correctly, Giovanni was a musician and played in a band; his parents are unknown, so he was probably raised in an Institute for foundligs ("son of the state")
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Pirolli Anna Vincenza Sebastiana, donna di casa (housewife)

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Luigi Arturo Famoso was born July 11th, 1882. Parents' occupations are the same.

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thank you, Pippa.

Can anyone make out the third word of Giovanni's birthplace, or explain the notation "son of the state"? Giovanni died in the US (NYC) and his death certificate contains parents names. While he was known to be a musician, he was not thought to be a foundling of unknown parentage.

Does it say "Napoli Sezione Mercato"?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Yes it says Mercato which is a section (sezione)of Napoli its one of the smaller neighbourhood of Napoli.
I didnt see Mercato listed in the Italy, Napoli, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1809-1865 records but there are seziones of Napoli listed on familysearch.org you might have to write or email for Giovanni's birth record to solve your mystery I would include photo copy of there marriage and highlight the section of his info age birth location

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, Marty!

This is the first time I've ever seen the phrase "son of the state"...is that standard language for the area & time?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I don't think it's standard language, but I found several references to "figlio dello stato" as a foundling, orphan, or abandoned child who was raised in an Institute.