Last name help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Last name help

Post by bvbellomo »

I am trying to figure out the last name of my great great grandmother, from my great grandfather's birth certificate. I took a quick picture thinking it would be easy, but it must not be a common surname. I will post a better picture when I have one.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/Picture%20083.jpg

Her first name was Carmela, but I don't know if her last name was Targarti, Farquarti or something else?

I already know this was in Mirabella Santico and the parent's occupation was contadino/contadina. My great grandfather's name was Pasquale LaPorta and his father was Giuseppe. Anything else you can read would be greatly appreciated.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Last name help

Post by Italysearcher »

Here is a way to determine surnames when they are difficut to read.
Go to www.paginebianche.it
Enter the surname without a town and search. If no results, try a different spelling.
Another way is to go to the indexes of the films you are searching and look for a surname that looks the same.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

I did both before I posted, which is why I thought this would be easy.

If anyone has another guess for the first letter other than 'F' or 'T' it would help on www.paginebianche.it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The image is diffcult to see...

Did you find this online? Maybe you can post a link to the original?

I don't believe the first letter is an "F". Could be "T" or "I"...

How about TARQUINI?

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Maybe Tangredi??

Laura
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

Tangredi is probably correct. Tarquini is a good guess from this picture, but not correct. There is no way the 2nd last letter is an 'n'.

The image is one I took. The microfilm isn't blurry, but it really isn't easier to see most of the letters, especially the first letter.

I went back to look at microfilm yesterday, and my family search center was 'closed indefinitively for rennovation'
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Just a quick question did she sign the the birth act on the end of the record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

pink67 wrote:Maybe Tangredi??

Laura

I believe that Laura is correct! The surname TANGREDI is found in Mirabello Sannitico stilll today :-)

T.