Identification Card and Codice Fiscal - how to get?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Identification Card and Codice Fiscal - how to get?

Post by ericataylor22 »

I am hopefully really close to getting my citizenship/passport documents expedited because I move to Italy at the end of July.

My question is this: what do I do after receipt of those, to get codice fiscal and an identification card? Do I do that once I am in Rome, or can it be done prior to leaving??

Any input or advice would be welcome.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Identification Card and Codice Fiscal - how to get?

Post by jennabet »

You can ask your consulate to issue you a codice fiscale; however, you will be cutting it close because it usually takes about six weeks to have it issued from a consulate. If not, you can apply for it in Italy. For the identity card, you must show proof of residence in Italy to your comune and the comune will issue you the identity card.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

How to I apply for a codice fiscal when I am ALREADY in Roma, and my citizenship stuff is not schedule to arrive until Sept. or Oct.??

I am in need of the fiscal number for my lease and to obtain other services?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi Erica, glad you made it to Rome. You don't need citizenship to obtain a Codice Fiscale. You can apply for it at your local Agenzia del Entrate in Rome. This is within the Ministry of Finance department. If you're in a hotel, ask at the desk for directions to Agenzia del Entrate. Hope you're enjoying the Eternal City.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

One other thing. If I were you, I would place a call from Rome once a week to your consulate asking for the status of your citizenship case and reminding them that you need it ASAP. Hopefully this will ensure that it really does get done by September/October.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Getting a number is not a problem. Go to http://www.paginebianche.it Click on Codice Fiscale and fill in the form. You won't get the official card, but you will get a number that you can use for renting an apartment.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.