Gravestone abbreviation

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
rdesmone

Gravestone abbreviation

Post by rdesmone »

I recently found my grandfather's gravestone and I am confused by something in the inscription. It says "R.D. Sua Moglie." I am sure sua moglie is "her/my husband" but I can't find out what R.D. means. Can anyone help?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Gravestone abbreviation

Post by PippoM »

"sua moglie" is "his wife".
As to "R.D.", do you have an image to post?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Julo »

Could be the name initials of his wife
MoonlightSkywriter

Post by MoonlightSkywriter »

This happened to my ggrandmother, who was previously married to my great grandfather the 2nd wife did not like her she despised her so when he buried her he used her initals for her burial. so this is why they do initals of their spouses
Bosetti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bosetti »

rdesmone wrote:I recently found my grandfather's gravestone and I am confused by something in the inscription. It says "R.D. Sua Moglie." I am sure sua moglie is "her/my husband" but I can't find out what R.D. means. Can anyone help?

Riposo Dolce ?
rdesmone

Post by rdesmone »

That is more than likely what it is. The letters are not her initials, and we kept thinking something like "Rest in Peace." Thanks much for the help.