Vincent Pelella and wife Angelina (Dillio) Pelella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Vincent Pelella and wife Angelina (Dillio) Pelella

Post by budlight1951 »

I'm still working on my wife's family tree. Her mother's name was America Pelella. Just recently I came across an obituary in our local newspaper of a Jean C. (Pelella) Weis.

Her parents were Vincent Pelella and Angelina Dillio fro Italy. It stated that Jean was born in Santa Maria, Italy. Now the Pelella's that my wife is related to were from Santa Maria A Vico, Caserta, Italy. So I'm assuming that the Santa Maria that jean was born is of the same. According to the obit she has two sister who still live in Santa Maria, their names are Emilia and Anna Pelella. She also has a sister name Louise who lives here in the U.S. Jean was 77 years old that means her birth year was around 1935. The name Jean might be the U.S. name and not her italian name, Sonetimes Pelella is also spelled different. My sister in law seems to think she is a second or third cousin of my wife and her. Any information that you can find would be great.

Below is the newspaper obit.

August 1, 2012

Carlisle, PA

Jean C. (Pelella) Weiss, 77, of Carlisle, passed away August 1, 2012 at Cumberland Crossings in Carlisle. She was the wife of Ronald N. Weiss with whom she shared 51 years of marriage.

Born in Santa Maria, Italy, she was the daughter of the late Vincent and Angelina (Dillio) Pelella.

She was the owner and operator of Gina's Restaurant in Carlisle, having previously worked in New York as a pocket book designer.

In addition to her husband she is survived by a son, Steven R. Weiss, husband of Christine of Inwood, WV; three sisters: Emilia and Anna Pelella, both of Santa Maria, Italy, and Louise Pelella of Carlisle, and two grandchildren, Charles and Emilia Weiss.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Vincent Pelella and wife Angelina (Dillio) Pelella

Post by Tessa78 »

Jean C. (Pelella) Weiss, 77, of Carlisle, passed away August 1, 2012 at Cumberland Crossings in Carlisle. She was the wife of Ronald N. Weiss with whom she shared 51 years of marriage.

Born in Santa Maria, Italy, she was the daughter of the late Vincent and Angelina (Dillio) Pelella.

She was the owner and operator of Gina's Restaurant in Carlisle, having previously worked in New York as a pocket book designer.

In addition to her husband she is survived by a son, Steven R. Weiss, husband of Christine of Inwood, WV; three sisters: Emilia and Anna Pelella, both of Santa Maria, Italy, and Louise Pelella of Carlisle, and two grandchildren, Charles and Emilia Weiss.
Based on the mother's and sister's name referenced above...
Here is a POSSIBLE manifest for them in 1954 on a "visit for pleasure"
They are arriving in June on the Andrea Doria to New York.
Angelina's name is listed as DIGLIO PELELLA... The surname Diglio would be pronounced like the "Dillio" you give.
The sister, Louise, referred to in the obituary, could be LUIGIA in an americanized form :-)
On the manifest, their destination is Newburgh, NY. Would be interesting to see what results you get for a search of PELELLA in that town...

Lines 2 and 3

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a POSSIBLE arrival manifest for Jean C. Pelella (passenger's name is Giovanna C. Pelella, age 16) arriving NY in 1951 on SS Laguardia.
Address given as Newburgh, NJ (Little Britain Rd.)
Age puts birthdate at about 1935.

Line 10

T.
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

I can't thank yopu so much for what you just sent me. I will take what you sent me and get started on a sear4ch.

Thanks
Dave
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

budlight1951 wrote:I can't thank yopu so much for what you just sent me. I will take what you sent me and get started on a sear4ch.

Thanks
Dave
Hey Dave :-)

Glad to have helped...
Good luck with your search.
If you need help, just come back to the forum!

BTW - I noticed on the manifest I posted that Angelina was a US Citizen (USC notation) and that Luigia was traveling with an Italian passport. It would appear that Luigia was visiting for pleasure, but that Angelina resided in New York...

T.
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

Thanks again. Is there any way to find out where they came from. I mean the newspaper article just says Santa Maria. I can only go back to my wifes great great Grandfather and I don't have much info on him. He lived in Santa Maria Vico Caserta. I belive this Vincent Pelella is a definite relative and if I get more info on him it might help to go further with my tree.

Dave
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

I am sorry I haven't been on here lately. I just got some more information on the Pelella's and I am hoping someone can help me. I have been in contact with Jean (Giovanna ) Dillio Pelella's son Stephen Weiss. He helped a little but not as much as I would have hoped he could. Jean's Mother as we know is Angelina (Digilo or Dillio) Pelella. Angelina was born 2 Oct 1897 in Santa Maria, Italy, She died 15 Feb 1973 in Newburgh, NY. With your help we were determine that she came over from Italy in 1954. She came with her sister Louise (Luigia). In a New York directory it sated she lived at 182 Broadway, Newburgh, NY and that she was a widow of Vicezzo Pelella. So I am assuming he died in Italy and she came on her own to the USA. Angelina also had to other sisters Emilia and Anna. I am trying to find out the father and mother of her husband Vincent. I would then be able to place her and him in my family tree. My wife's Grand Father was Biaggio Pelella. He had 7 siblings and one was Vincent that I have absolutely no information on at all. I believe Biaggio's father was Pasquale Luigi Pelella born 13 May 1856 in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania, Italy but I don't proof of that. So is there anyone out there can help me out and find this Vicezzo or Vincent Pelella.
Thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is this the right birth act of Biaggio Pelella
Index#1
1892 Jan 1 in the town of Santa Maria Vico in a house on via Novanese #3 birth of Biaggio Pelella son of Luigi Pellela age 28 shoemaker and Giovanna Daddio

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

Yes the Birth date for Biaggio Pelella is correct 1 Jan 1892. His mother was Geoivannio Dadia I believe Daddio is the correct spelling of the last name. She was married to Pasquale Luigi Pelella who I have being born 13 May 1856 in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania, Italy. Is there any way you could covert the document you sent me to english. You are the first one that has come close to finding documents from Italy on this Family. Any more information I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks so very much
Dave Baird
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome back, Dave!

I was ready to post the link to the birth act of Biagio Pelella when I noticed that marty :-) had already done so.
Here is the information from the birth act.
Record #1
Biagio was born to Luigi (no Pasquale in here) Pelella, 28, a shoemaker residing in Santa Maria a Vico.
His wife was Giovanna Daddio.
Biagio (no William here) was born on 1 January 1892 at 1 AM at the house at Via Novarese #3

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Luigi Pellela and Giovanna Daddio
Index#43
1887 Nov 17th in the town of Santa Maria a Vico appeared Luigi Pelella age 24 shoemaker born in Sanfelice a Cancello resides in Santa Maria a Vico son of Giovanni Pelella and deceased Carmela De Luca married to Giovanna Daddio age 27 seamstress born and resides in Santa Maria a Vico daughter of Biase Daddio and Maria Felicia Caprio

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Siblings of Biagio (William B. Pelella in USA)...
Born to Luigi Pelella and Giovanna Daddio

Both born in 1890

Record #1
Giovanni Biagio Pelella born 1 January 1890 (this would follow the naming tradition)
@ 2 AM at the house on Piazza Aragona #8

Record #234
Maria Felicia Pelella born on 25 December 1890
@ 7 AM at the house on Piazza Aragona #13

Just an FYI - I searched for the birth in 1897 (and years before and after) for Angelina Diglio (that is the spelling of the name in both Santa Maria a Vico and Santa Maria Capua Vetere) with no success.

There are currently 3 listings for Pelella in Santa Maria a Vico (landlines) in the Italian Phone Book
Perhaps you can find out about siblings of Jean Weiss from them
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... o+%28CE%29

T.
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

I can't thank you all enough for helping me out tessa78, adelfio. if you can find out about other children of Lugi Pelella that would be great. Here is what I have for children Biaggio, Marzio B 25 Dec 1888, Camela 21 Dec 1888 ( one of these two the year has to be wrong unless they were twins and the day is wrong, Giovanni 1893, Emilia 1893 again the years maybe wrong, Crispino 1898, Maria F you gave me and Vincenzo no date but I am pretty sure he died in Italy before 1955, Any other info on the Grandparents or great grandparents I can use also. You all have got my blood going, I have never gotten this far before. Sorry if I am asking to much of you.
Dave Baird
budlight1951
Rookie
Rookie

Post by budlight1951 »

tesa 78 please loo at the births of Giovanni Biagio Pelella it reads 1 Jan 1890 and Maria Felicia Pelella is 25 dec 1890. same year You said they are siblings of my Biagio but the years don't make sense.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The dates are right
They are irish twins born in the same year 12 months apart LOL

Marty

Marty