Buccheri, Siracusa - story of how I got my ggma birth record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Buccheri, Siracusa - story of how I got my ggma birth record

Post by JPMessina44 »

In case anybody is interested:

A short story of my experience with Buccheri. On Friday, October 15th, I sent out an email to Siracusa, a letter to Siracusa, and a letter to Buccheri (the comuni of my gmas birth, within Siracusa).....

I recieved an email back from Siracusa on October 27th, 2010 showing me 6 birth records (the summarized version) of what they found, requested 15 cents for one document or 1 Euro for all 6 documents, with stamp via PDF.

I gladly obliged, on November 1st, I sent out the letter, the original email from Siracusa and 1 euro to Siracusa Archivio via Tuicidide, etc.

On the exact same day, I got home from work and bam, in my mailbox, the Comuni of Buccheri, Siracusa just sent me the paperwork, for free. No questions asked.

How cool is that?

Although I don't need great grandmother, cause I am going through Great Grandfather....they sent me marriage records, death records, and all birth records of each person in my great grandmothers family (8 children birth, any marriage records, or death records....they also enclosed my great grandmothers parents marriage record (my great great grandparents.)

Now I sent email and letters to Catania, Sant'Antonio, Catania and the church in Sant'Antonio on the same day (October 15th).....haven't heard back yet.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Buccheri, Siracusa - story of how I got my ggma birth re

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats great! They gave you all those documents? I cant even get one from a certain comune!!
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Don't feel bad, albeit myu great grandmothers comune gave me everything I wanted plus everything else, which was wonderful....

Haven't heard a peep from my great grandfathers comune, Catania in almost a month. I'm giving them one more week, then I plan to call Catania and speak with them.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ive been waiting on Stella Cilento for almost a year! Ive tried several times :(
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I hope I don't wait for that long cause my appointment is on Jan 31, 2011!!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I hope you dont wait that long either!! Im just happy its for a person in my non direct line so it shouldnt be a major issue.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

ur lucky, I've heard many stories that the consulate doesn't even ask for data from family members not in direct lines. I, on the other hand, am waiting on my direct line, so I hope it comes to my surprise.

I dont need them to acknowledge me in any way, other than just send the letter. I included a self address envelope, so so fingers crossed they sent it to me!!
sjbuscema

Post by sjbuscema »

I’m trying to get information on my grandparents, Salvatore Buscema & Maria Maddalena De Pasquale who immigrated to the US in the early 1900s from Buccheri. They settled in Lawrence, MA. And lived on Common St. I went to high school with Pete Messina, any relation? Can you give the e mail address of contact in Siracusa? Looking forward to hearing for you..Sam Buscema.
frankrossi

Post by frankrossi »

Does anyone know where i can get italian documents such as birth certificates? I want to trace my family back to italy.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Sam- no email address for Buccheri. I do not know a Pete Messina, however, never know? Funny my great grandparents also immigrated to Lawrence, MA and lived on Common Street in 1909 where they were then married. Small world, maybe they knew of each other?

As for the communication, I had to send them a formal letter, in English and Italian, asking for the documents. Give a return envelope and proper postage back to the States. Took about 2.5 weeks from when I sent the formal request to when I got the docs back. BE VERY SPECIFIC and give them as much information as possible (ranges if you don't know the birth date, family members, specific information like that.)

I actually received the info back from Archivio di Stato Di Siracusa first then 2 weeks later got Buccheri to also send. So I would send letter to all the below and whoever responds first, great.

Piazza Pietro Toselli, 1
Buccheri, Province of Syracuse

Comune di Siracusa
Piazza Duomo, 4
96100 Siracusa

Archivio di Stato di Siracusa
via F. Crispi, 66
96100 Siracusa

Frank- You must have an idea where your ancestors may have been born, died, married, etc in order to be able to request these documents. Some Comune's are different in their requirements, some are okay with asking via email and other's (like mine from Buccheri had to be written and sent.) Using the answer above to the other forum member, once you locate where the birth took place, send the letter to the above comune (if Buccheri) and to Siracusa (if that is the correct Province).

If not, find out the location and track down the address to both the Province archives and the specific Comune.

I found that emails are great if the unit offers them, but the best and most response comes from a well-written, English AND Italian translation with a lot of information to help the Official find the documents and send accordingly.

Good luck to the both of you.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Sorry forgot the "zip code" aka CAP for Buccheri. It is 96010

So address is:
Piazza Pietro Toselli, 1
Buccheri, Province of Syracuse 96010