Just received naturalization records from USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Just received naturalization records from USCIS

Post by Squigy »

After nearly four months, I finally received my great great grandfather's naturalization records from the USCIS, and have a couple questions.

Number 1., there are a few discrepancies. My great grandfather is listed as Giuseppe MaieLta on all three papers as opposted to MaieTta. His birth date is wrong by 3 days (he was born October 27th, it says the 24th) and the year is wrong (it says 1880 as opposed to the actual year of 1879). His children Charlie, Andy, Pete, and Domenick are all listed by their Italian names, Angelo, Andrea, Pietro, and Domenico (don't ask me how Angelo became Charlie - it was the same for all the cousins, too). My great grandfather, Andy, went by Andrew on all of his other records (interestingly enough, even though HE is listed as Maietta on his marriage record, his father is listed as Maielta again).

Number 2., the records are all just three plain photocopies. Will they take this? They came with two signed letters listing his name (with the correct spelling) which are signed by the Chief, Genealogy Section and the Director of FOIA Operations. There is a seal, but it's not raised.

Will these documents be acceptable?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Just received naturalization records from USCIS

Post by ktpoloni »

I know you posted this awhile ago. I have some discrepancies on my documents as well. Were you able to use yours okay?
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

@KTPoloni,

I'm not sure, yet - my appointment is coming up in November, so here's hoping!

If you want, I can let you know what they say.

P.S.

I'll be applying at Houston, by the way.
My Italian surnames:

ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ktpoloni »

That would be great! So far I only have simple copies as well. I have a mail-in appt in November with SF. Good luck!
Agrigentonio

Post by Agrigentonio »

I read somewhere that the regular copies would be acceptable as long as they are submitted with the original envelope and cover letter received from the USCIS. That's what I'll be submitting.

This worrying over documents is the worst part of the process
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I read somewhere that the regular copies would be acceptable as long as they are submitted with the original envelope and cover letter received from the USCIS. That's what I'll be submitting.
Thank you! This helps (good thing I saved both the cover letter and the envelope).
Agrigentonio wrote:This worrying over documents is the worst part of the process
Definitely up there, on my list - I'm terrified my application will be rejected, after all the work (and I'll be blunt, cash) I've put into it...this whole process has been incredibly trying on my nerves.
My Italian surnames: