Sanza - Name on a Statue

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Tommysnana

Sanza - Name on a Statue

Post by Tommysnana »

Hi!

I recently was watching a video of the town of Sanza. In the town there is a statue of a soldier. One side reads Sanza AISUOIEROL 1915-1918. Another side has a list of I'm assuming soldiers? One name is the same as my great grandfather who is from Sanza Italy. It reads: Soldato Francesco Loguercio.
I'm not sure if it is my great grandfather but I'd sure like to know, and also I'd like to know why his name is there.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you so much! Linda
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Sanza - Name on a Statue

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Obviously, I wouldn't be able to speak to if he was your GGF, but soldato is Italian for soldier so the plaque is saying that Francesco Loguercio was a soldier. 1915-1918 is World War One. I'd think AISUOIEROL would be "ai suoi eroi" -- "to our heroes." It is a monument to soldiers that were lost in the Great War. Good luck on figuring out if he is your GGF!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

A Francesco Lo Guercio, born in Sanza April 1, 1912, died in war on October 25, 1941. Possibly your ancestor?

See: http://www.difesa.it/Templates/OnorCadu ... HINT=Guest
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: Many of these monuments are multi-sided with each side representing a different military conflict. I am assuming the side with your ancestor's name was for WWII.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao again Linda, is the video you watched online? Seeing the monument might help determine if it is a multi-war monument, which may help you figure out if he was your GGF.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
Tommysnana

Post by Tommysnana »

Hi, I do not have the video, it is listed on you tube. This is the title of what I watched, there is a part 2 as well......Scorci di Sanza - parte 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVmNm2qL...
Sanza is beautiful!
Francesco is listed on the WWII side of the monument. Johnnyonthe spot, did you see this statue so that is how you know when he died?

Thank you so much for your response!

Thank you,
Linda
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tommysnana wrote:Johnnyonthe spot, did you see this statue so that is how you know when he died?
The link in my previous post takes you to an Italian Department of Defense website which allows you to search for soldiers who died while in service. Enter Lo Guercio (with the space as shown) in the field labeled Cognome and Francesco in the Nome field then click Avvia Ricerca. It may seem as though nothing happened, but scroll down and you will see the record. Clcik the arrow under the Dettagli column for additional information.

If this is your ancestor, you can order his military service records from the Salerno state archives. Let us know if he is; we'll tell you how to request the documents.
Carmine

Tommysnana

Post by Tommysnana »

Hi!

Oh I must have been half asleep, I didn't even see the link.
Thank you so much for you help. I think I would like to get that document. Please show me how.

Thanks again, Linda
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tommysnana wrote:Hi!

Oh I must have been half asleep, I didn't even see the link.
Thank you so much for you help. I think I would like to get that document. Please show me how.

Thanks again, Linda
Linda, I have had good results with a letter such as this:

09 novembre 2010

[your name]
[your address]

Archivio di Stato di Salerno
piazza Abate Conforti, 7
84126 Salerno
ITALY

Egregii Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abitare negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo ora affinche mi aiutiate per fornire:

• REGISTRO DI LEVA
• FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO

per i miei bisnonno:

• LO GUERCIO FRANCESCO nato nel Comune di Sanza, data 1 aprile 1912, paternità [father's given name/nome if you know it or "sconosciuto" if you do not], maternità [mother's maiden name if you know it "SMITH JANE" or "sconosciuto"]

Sarà mio onere il rimborso per le spese di uso del servizio e costi di spedizione. Mi faccia sapere l'importo corretto.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Full names should be written in lastname firstname format in all caps, thus "SMITH JOHN". Dates should be written dd month yyyy with the month spelled out in all lower case (01 febbraio 1885). If you don't know the exact date, put "circa 1856".

"bisnonno" is great-grandfather; "nonno" is grandfather.

Basically, the letter says,

Dear sirs,

My name is ... I live in the United States of America at the address above.

I am requesting the full military discharge records and conscription record for my grandfather who was born in ... on ... His father's name was ... and his mother's maiden name was...

I will be pleased to reimburse you for the cost of copying and postage if you will let me know the amount.

Sincerely,

You could try making the request by email (as-sa@beniculturali.it - remove the spaces); personally I prefer the formality of a written letter. The cost usually comes to just a few Euros.
Carmine

Tommysnana

Post by Tommysnana »

Thank you! I will try the letter. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Linda
tbirdtony6357

Post by tbirdtony6357 »

Hi,
My surname is also LoGuercio & i am making a trip to Italy today! I will be visiting Sanza the week of Sept 3rd thru 7th. I'm hoping to find out where my Grandfather lived. His immigration card says he came from Sanza but i have no address. Do you think it is possible to look up his records once i get there. Also, i was wondering if this Soldier was related to me. Any idea where i could go in Sanza to get more info?
Thank you
Tony LoGuercio
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Some helpful addresses and phone numbers
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/133/

There are 4 people with the surname LOGUERCIO listed in the Italian Phone book in Sanza.
http://www.paginebianche.it/persone?qs= ... o&dv=Sanza

Maybe that's a start?

T.
tbirdtony6357

Post by tbirdtony6357 »

Thank you. It is a great place to start.
TOny