Tassone and Papasodero Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gertie

Tassone and Papasodero Families

Post by Gertie »

I am doing research on my grandparents families. My grandmother was Catherine Tassone from Spadola,Italy. She arrived in N.Y. in Sept 1904 and was coming to a brother Guiseppe Tassone in Pottsville, Pa. In 1905 she married Vito Papasodero..I don't have any further info on him. I believe Catherine may have had a sister named Rose. When I was very young-Rose and a woman named Marie would come to visit us. A man named Rocco or Rocky would drive them. My mother was Emma Papasodero and her siblings were: Lena, Maria(or Rosie) Joseph, Anthony, John, Victor and maybe 2 more who died early in life. My grandfather, Vito left his family and no one ever knew what became of him. I do have a photo showing my sister, Aunt Rose, my mother and Marie. I believe it was taken in 1945. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thank you,
Gertie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Tassone and Papasodero Families

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Gertie.

Do you have supporting materials showing when Catherine arrived in the US and the date of her marriage? If so, could you point me to a ship's manifest?

Where did Catherine and Vito reside? Do you have a birth year for either of them?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Catherine arrived in N.Y. 10 Sept 1904 aboard the SS Citta Di Torino. I have a copy of the ships manifest.
They married in Pottsville, Schuylkill Co., Penna. 29 Jan. 1905 I have the original marriage certificate - Vol. 14 No. 3545 and a copy of the license.
They also resided in Pottsville, Pa.
Catherine was born in Spadola,Italy - 17 April 1883
Vito was born in Italy - 10 March 1879
Their birth dates are on the copy of the marriage license from the courthouse.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Vito was not living with his family in 1930, however "Catharine" is not listed as widowed. Note that Catharine's age is given as 42 thus putting her birth year at 1888, not 1883.

1930 United States Federal Census about Catharine Papasodero
Name: Catharine Papasodero
Home in 1930: Pottsville, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Catharine Papasodero 42
Joseph Papasodero 22
Anthony Papasodero 19
Lena Papasodero 16
Veto Papasodero 13
John Papasodero 11

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

"Victor" (Vito) was still at home in 1920:

Note that Catherine's birth year is still in the 1888-1889 range, and Victor at about 1887.

1920 United States Federal Census about Catharine Peppersaul
Name: Catharine Peppersaul
Home in 1920: Pottsville Ward 6, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Victer Peppersaul
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of immigration: 1907
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Victer Peppersaul 33
Catharine Peppersaul 31
Rose Peppersaul 8
Joseph Peppersaul 12
Tony Peppersaul 9
Emma Peppersaul 7
Lena Peppersaul 6
Veta Peppersaul 4
John Peppersaul 1

Carmine

Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Thank you for the info you posted. I had the 20's census and I was aware of the discrepancies with Catherines birth year. The marriage license I have is very hard to read where her birth year is written. I have current info on all her children, but nothing on my grandfather Vito. There was talk of him coming from the Naples area and also talk of Boston area, but I don't have any leads on this. What would you suggest I do next? I am new to this research. And since I can't locate any Catholic church in Spadola, where would Catherine have been baptized? Where would the nearest Catholic Church be?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Gertie wrote:And since I can't locate any Catholic church in Spadola, where would Catherine have been baptized? Where would the nearest Catholic Church be?
PARROCCHIA S. MARIA SOPRA MINERVA
Piazzetta Ina
89822 Spadola VV
ITALY

tel: 0963 71572
Carmine

maureenduffy

Post by maureenduffy »

Dear Gertie

My name is Maureen Duffy. My husband name is Vito Anthony Papasodero. His uncle name was Vito Papasodero. This is not a common name. My husband father was franchesco Papsodero and they were from calabra a town called cantazana hope I am spelling them right. My father in law as born in 1899 and his brother Vito was 10 or so years older. I don't have a lot of info but this may help. My father inlaw was 26 when he came to America with his brother Vito who was about 10 years older. They came from a large family alot of brothers and sisters. There are still family living in Calabra at this time. If I can help you PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE ON WRITTING GOOD LUCK MAUREEN DUFFY
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Dear Maureen, I haven't checked on my post for a long time. Was surprised to read the info you posted. There are so many similarities between our families. Catherine & Vito did have a son Francesco who died at a very young age. If they held true to It. tradition the 1st son would have been named after Vito's father-he would have been either Joseph or Francesco. I know Catherine was from Spadola & had a brother Guiseppe Tassone here in Pottsville, Pa. Does any of this sound familiar to you? When did your family come to America and where did they settle? I have come across some "possible" connections to living & working for a short time in Va. or W.Va. But I can't prove any of this. Please write back, I'm hoping there is a connection.