Giovinazzo - DeNinno, LaBombarda, Palmiotto, Stufano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mdeninno

Giovinazzo - DeNinno, LaBombarda, Palmiotto, Stufano

Post by mdeninno »

Hi there! I've done a bit of research already and have traced my Grandfather's birth (1885), as well as his parents' marriage (1878) to Giovinazzo, a city in the Bari province. The information is all from civil register documents. I will exhaust the source I'm currently using (LDS-borrowed microfilm in San Francisco, CA) when I reach back to ~1809.

Does anyone have ideas about how to locate any birth/death/marriage records prior to 1809? Probably only church info? I plan to travel to the area in 2006, September time frame and would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!!!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Giovinazzo - DeNinno, LaBombarda, Palmiotto, Stufano

Post by wldspirit »

It is my understanding that access to parish records can be difficult.
Priest have little time for genealogy as they may be overseeing more than one parish. However, there are some who have gotten quite lucky and found a priest willing to assist. A "donation" to the parish would surely help your cause.
wldspirit
mdeninno

Post by mdeninno »

Thanks so much wldspirit! I had read that things were difficult. Maybe this will just have to be a "show up and fly by the seat of your pants and can't speak italian" trip :)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is something I read (?Tafford Cole's book). Before you go write a letter to the Priest telling him when you will be there to look at records or for informaiton and request him to notify you if this would not be convienent. He probably will not write. When you show up he may feel "obligated" to help you. After all you wrote, came all that way and were never told no. Be very polite and offer a donation to the church for his time.

Also being able to demonstrate you can read these records mean the difference between access or not. Sometime ago another poster wrote they went with someone who could read the records and that was the edge to get access.

Debbie
mdeninno

Post by mdeninno »

Molto grazie Debbie. That's a fantastic strategy for success. I'll have to find the church(es) in Giovinazzo and do just that. What is the title of the book you reference (?Tafford Cole.) I very much appreciate the information -- Thanks!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Italian Genealogical Records by Tafford Cole. Excellent reference. Its my bible for Italian genealogy.

Debbie