Need Help Finding Passenger Lists, Please!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Need Help Finding Passenger Lists, Please!

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I am having trouble finding passenger lists for this family:

Domenico Catello, born 1859, in Campobasso (unsure if it's the city or somewhere else in the province). [Son of Antonio Catello & Maria Antonia Arrenda(sp?) His naturalization records say he arrived in August 1, 1890. He filed his Declaration of Intent on June 19, 1893; his petition to become a citizen on December 14, 1896; he was naturalized on March 15, 1897.

His wife, Concetta Gianfagna, born 1858 (probably also in Campobasso, as they were married before immigrating) [Daughter of Michelangelo Gianfagna & Cristina Malavinto (sp?)]

Their son Nicola Catello, born November 18, 1890 in Campobasso (according to his WWI draft card).

Census records alternately give 1892 & 1897 as arrival dates for Concetta & Nicola. 1892-ish is more likely, as there are sons in this family born 1894 and 1895 who who all the records say were born in NY.

This family settled in Staten Island, Richmond County NY and there were several more children born in the US. I have all the US census records from 1900 through 1940, all in Richmond County (Staten Island), NY.

These early passenger lists bedevil me; anyone want to take a shot at it?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need Help Finding Passenger Lists, Please!

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Debi!

Checking Castle Garden website, these are the only Catello arriving 1888-1892 to NY.
CATELLO GERRARO 41 M 8 Sep 1892 U
CATELLO INGENITO 32 M 2 Mar 1888 U
CATELLO MARTINO 30 M 24 Jul 1888 BASILICATA
CATELLO QUAGLIANO 30 M 15 Jun 1892 U

http://castlegarden.org/search_02.php?m ... ubmit.y=21

Do his naturalization records identify the ship?

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Hi, Tessa! Unfortunately, no. They give a date (August 1, 1890) but no ship's name. The earlier naturalization records are just as light on info as the early lists...so they weren't much help.

I must surely hold a record for bad transcriptions... :? When I finally found my great-grandfather's list (only because his ship & arrival date were on his naturalization papers) Pietro Roccanova had been indexed as "P. Roepanooa." I can laugh...now. :lol:
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, those transcriptions can really cost us lots of time! :D

However, if he completed the naturalization process there would have been a check of his arrival. You can send for a copy of his naturalization papers from NARA, which SHOULD include a "Certificate of Arrival." The CA should show his date, arrival port and ship.

Cost was $7.50, when I last looked and it didn't take long to arrive! But you will need to register (no cost)...
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I have his naturalization papers. He was naturalized in the Supreme Court of Richmond County; because he naturalized before 1906, there is very little info...which was surprising to me. His wife and children aren't mentioned, no ship's name, place of birth is given as "Italy"...he couldn't even write his name, and signed with an X. The only reason I am even sure it's him is because the addresses match what I know to be correct from the censuses and family records.

Sigh. I see a lot of scrolling and squinting in my future!
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by catshouse2 »

The little research I did yesterday showed conflicting information to the 1890 arrival date. The 1930 census showed immigration date of 1897 and both 1920 census and 1925 NYS census reflected 1889 as immigration date. Perhaps this is why you're having such a hard time locating manifest? I also searched both Castle Garden and Dllis Island through www.stevemorse.org and was not successful.

Do you have an ancestry subscription? There are a couple of family trees there already built by members that have both Domenic and Congetta in them w/ some photos.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thank you for looking!

Yes, I do use Ancestry and one of those trees you're seeing (Debi's Roots & Wings 2) is mine. :) The others I've seen have various immigration dates, some after Domenico's naturalization...and no passenger lists. The other dates given in the censuses are, so far: 1910/1890 and 1920/1889; the 1930 date of 1897 is obviously - given the naturalization date and the birth dates of his US-born children - incorrect.

The documentation I have [Domenico's naturalization papers - DoI filed 1893 - his son Nicola's WWI draft card (says born November 18, 1890, Campobasso, Italy), and the birth of Domenico & Concetta's son Frank in Staten Island in 1894] point to an 1890 date for Domenico and date between 1891 & 1893 for Concetta her oldest sons, Giuseppe & Nicola.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I am having trouble finding passenger lists for this family:

Domenico Catello, born 1859, in Campobasso (unsure if it's the city or somewhere else in the province). [Son of Antonio Catello & Maria Antonia Arrenda(sp?) His naturalization records say he arrived in August 1, 1890. He filed his Declaration of Intent on June 19, 1893; his petition to become a citizen on December 14, 1896; he was naturalized on March 15, 1897.

His wife, Concetta Gianfagna, born 1858 (probably also in Campobasso, as they were married before immigrating) [Daughter of Michelangelo Gianfagna & Cristina Malavinto (sp?)]
We've exchanged info before, and I'm not sure if we already covered this ground, but I do have Domenico Catelli and Concetta Gianfagna in my database. Concetta is my 3C2R.

Domenico Catelli, age 22, born in Campobasso, son of Antonio Catelli and Antonia Ialenti, married Concetta Gianfagna, age 23, born in Campobasso, daughter of Michele Gianfagna and Cristina Greco, on 03 NOV 1881 in Campobasso. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733313/MATRIMONI 1881/Numero 85, 03 NOV 1881.

Although both the bride and the groom were born in Campobasso, the Ialenti family originated in Campolieto and the Greco family originated in Busso.
John Armellino
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

John, wow...thanks so much! I think you might have me confused with someone else, though. Domenico & Concetta's great-grandson, Nick, married my cousin, Mary Roccanova. I've just recently started researching Nick's family as a gift for his & Mary's 50th anniversary next year. They will be spending a month in Italy to celebrate and would love to visit as many of their communes of origin as possible. I'd be grateful for any other info you might have to share and will happily share the info I have about Domenico & Concetta's life in the US in return.

I have ordered the films that should cover the years of Nicola Catello/i's birth; I'll add this marriage film (unless you have a copy of the record?). Thanks again!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Debi, I don't have a copy of the marriage record but I can send you some charts of additional generations. If you're interested send me an e-mail at armellino at yahoo dot com.
John Armellino
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

John, thanks again! I will email you shortly.