Moving from TX to VA - help finding loophole!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Moving from TX to VA - help finding loophole!

Post by Squigy »

Okay, so after a brief stint of living in Texas, I am moving *back* to Virginia; but here's my problem, I was *really* counting on applying in TX at the Houston Consulate (as I hear it's much easier than the ones on the East Coast).

My appointment is in November, but, due to personal issues, it seems that I'll need to be back in VA by October. Is there anyway I can bring in Texas ID, and documents showing my Texas address, and apply there, anyway? Or, maybe I could somehow keep my legal residence in TX (as opposed to VA) at least until my appointment is done with?

Any advice is much appreciated - I very much want to keep this appointment, but it seems like I may not be able to. I'm stressed out about this to the max. :?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Moving from TX to VA - help finding loophole!

Post by jennabet »

How many days will you have been residing in Virginia before your appointment in Houston? The law says you have 30 days to update your driver's license, registration, car insurance, etc.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Jennabet,

Thanks for your reply.

The way it looks, right now, I'll probably be in Virginia within a week or two. So, since my appointment is the 1st of November, legally, I would be obliged to update all my records by that point, I suppose. But, in fact, I won't deny - I'm more, well, slow moving on these things than most. In fact, in this entire year I've lived in TX, I haven't even gotten my TX driver's license.

So, here's my plan; I'm going to go to the DMV before I leave, get my TX ID, and then have all my mail forwarded from my current address to the one in VA. I'll keep my TX ID until my appointment (I suppose I shouldn't, but I've done it before), then fly to my appointment from Virginia, and present my Texas driver's license, TX voters registration card, my lease for my home in Texas (which I will still own, and plan to rent), recent mail, and any other necessary documents, and give them my TX address (and leave my cell number which has a Texas area code).

I don't like the idea of "pulling a fast one" with the Consulate, but as it stands, I can't see any other option! Do you think I should follow through with this?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Sounds like a good plan to me.