ptimber-ny

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fino

ptimber-ny

Post by fino »

I have been reading the forums for awhile. Admittedly, I don't know alot about genealogy even though I am trying to do my family. I have just read some information from brujaojos and your (ptimber) response. I have also read many of your (ptimber) responses. I am sure brujaojos doesn't need me to defend her, but after this last reponse from you I need to speak my piece.
What is your problem ptimber? Please don't give me the rules of italianGenealogy, that is not an answer for your rudeness. In almost every response you give to people there is a smart mouthed statement. Because you are educated in a certain subject does not give you the right to be rude and disrespectful. Get off your high horse and show people some respect. I see you have helped many people with your wealth of knowledge. That does not mean you can treat people any way that you would like. Again, come down to earth and treat people with respect and care.
Fino
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Re: ptimber-ny

Post by vineviz »

fino wrote:What is your problem ptimber? Please don't give me the rules of italianGenealogy, that is not an answer for your rudeness. In almost every response you give to people there is a smart mouthed statement. Because you are educated in a certain subject does not give you the right to be rude and disrespectful.
My understanding is that Peter no longer participates in these forums. In his absence, they are much friendlier and much less colorful.
fino

Post by fino »

vineviz- I hope your understanding is correct. Colorful is O.K., unfriendly and rude is exactly that! Thanx
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Peter is no longer a member of this forum, and has not been for quite some time.

wldspirit
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

I also noticed he is rather rude, and I for one am glad he is not in this forum.
For 1 yr I read his tactless and obnoxious comments. All of you people on this site are most helpful and friendly and is a pleasure reading your insights.

Ptimber I noticed has been fluttering on rootsweb forums. I guess he will bounce around.

Special thanks to all who helped me out.

Ally
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

fino wrote:I have been reading the forums for awhile. Admittedly, I don't know alot about genealogy even though I am trying to do my family. I have just read some information from brujaojos and your (ptimber) response. I have also read many of your (ptimber) responses. I am sure brujaojos doesn't need me to defend her, but after this last reponse from you I need to speak my piece.
What is your problem ptimber? Please don't give me the rules of italianGenealogy, that is not an answer for your rudeness. In almost every response you give to people there is a smart mouthed statement. Because you are educated in a certain subject does not give you the right to be rude and disrespectful. Get off your high horse and show people some respect. I see you have helped many people with your wealth of knowledge. That does not mean you can treat people any way that you would like. Again, come down to earth and treat people with respect and care.
Fino
Dear Fino,

Thank you for defending my honor, but those posts are all in the past. Maybe someday we can have the offensive posts eliminated. Until then, just ignore the rude comments. Ptimber is no longer on the form.

The people that now help are the best group of people! :D We are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

If you have questions about your genealogy research, just post a new thread and we all will be happy to help!

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I sure appreciate you as well Trish. We would really be in trouble without you!!

:) Jim
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

vineviz wrote:My understanding is that Peter no longer participates in these forums. In his absence, they are much friendlier and much less colorful.
For what is worth, I can fully subscribe.

For five years, Peter Timber was the only and lonely sentinel daily being here to garrison the fortress of Italiangenealogy.com, until one fine day a platoon of nice and well-meaning people, tired of his sgrumpy sergeant's bad manners, succeeded in pulling him out with a coordinated coup de main.
I'm not here to judge anyone: that's the way things went. And things here couldn't probably go in a different way, since Peter can actually appear to be a really nasty, unpleasant and self-conceited person to most of the people who happen to occasionally talk with him.
But those who have the chance (and the patience) to know him better, will find a person really generous, hilarious, brilliant, even ingenious in his sometimes political uncorrect but always fair speech.
"Per molti, ma non per tutti": that's how we could define Peter in Italian, to say that "To know him is to love him... but getting to know him is something really, really, really hard".
Now, those who can happily live without him can keep on visiting this always wonderful, helpful and now more friendly website (by the way: thanks, Edmondo, for all your efforts in order to keep it running).
For all the others who want to take the hazard, at their own risk, surfing the net is still possible to meet and interact with Peter elsewhere. Thanking God, this is a big and free (cyber)world, where everyone has the chance to chose the "colors" he likes the most.

Peace & Love!
Ciao,
Maurizio
fino

Post by fino »

Maurizio- I really don't want to get into any sort of contest, but. Maybe most everything is true that you say. I for one could care less. One thing he wasn't was fair. Not always, not sometimes, not occasionally. People who are generous, hilarious, brilliant and even ingenous give other people the benefit of the doubt, at least the first time. ptimber jumped all over people from the get go. I personally couldn't find a redeeming qualityat all. He is very knowledgable, but heart, soul, character are essential. Great knowledge.....ahhhhhhh.
Truely, Fino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Letter for Peter:

Dear Peter,
I hope that you can read this my post; I want say you that you are my good friend, and sure an good man... and if other persons have other opinion of you, well is free, but, again I want say you, that here, you lack me so much.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Suanj, I have great respect for you and your contributions to this forum. There are insults one can give to another which are only understandable from the perspective of a native speaker. We came here not knowing Peter and were verbally abused, and had to watch the same inflicted upon new people who merely asked for assistance. I really do not want to stir this whole mess up again, but dismissing what happened as a misjudement of his character is an insult to many who took his abuse. Has there been any negativity here since his absence? Not a trace, it has become wonderfully active and thanks to the wisdom and experience of people like yourself a much more informative resource. People like Trish, Maria and Deb are able to give detailed information to people without being called every name in the book and their motives questioned. A "good man" does not inflict this kind of abuse. A "good man" treats people with common decency and respect. Calling someone an "a**hole" or some other explicative for asking the wrong question falls far short of decency. He was not a very pleasant man and this is a much better place without him.

Jim
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ok.......everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
And with respect to Peter.....not all of us are going to be in agreement.
Peter is no longer a member of this forum, and therefore, in my own opinion, we should not be discussing him.....he is after all, not in a position to defend himself, and the past is the past.
Our buisness here is Italian Genealogy.....now can we PLEASE get back to
buisness???
wldspirit
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ptimber-ny (This is the last, I promise)

Post by Maurizio »

HI, everyone.

Well, universally speaking I’m with Fino in putting a fundamental importance in good manners and in considering the way things are said as important as their meaning itself. That’s a general and strict rule for me, with (very few) certain exceptions: Peter is one of them.
I obviously never met him in person, but I can’t help figuring him out as a sort of Walter Matthau dreadfully treating the rest of the world. I personally enjoy and evn find exciting playing with him the part of Jack Lemmon... But I can perfectly understand that other people, like most of the forumnists here, don’t like nor find interesting this kind of game.

Anyway, Italiangenealogy.com perfectly survived to Peter’s forced departure, and I can assure you his spirits is high as usual even without posting here.
Like wldspirit said, I guess all has been said on this argument, and I personally won’t post anything more on this subject: that would be totally useless.

I would only like to conclude with an advice (to all those who would mind to reflect on it).
Internet forums are strange places, different from real life: the only written communication take away from the dialogue some very important details, like the expression of the face, or the pitch of the sentence, or the particular accent put on a particular word of the sentence... I don’t know if I’m able to express well my thoughts now, but addressing to mostly Italian (or of Italian descent) people I hope you’ll understand me... What I’m saying is that words always remains the same: but succeeding in be ironic (and having your interlocutor understand your being ironic) is harder when you can only write than when you can directly talk with someone.
All this rambling is to state that, in my opinion, we should be very prudent in judging – badly or favourably - people we only know on a forum like this: after all, they’re perfect stranger to us, and we know of them only what we can pick up from the by its nature mutilated dialogue we can have with them. I mean: I can probably immediately understand if a poster here is friendly or unfriendly, and the webmaster is obviously allowed to take his decisions on this matter.
But going further and evaluate a stranger’s morality is a big risk. I personally always try to avoid it: otherwise, I will act like Peter Timber but without having his brilliant mood and intelligence. With the result of being a very correct but very boring person (what I probably am, by the way).
Thanks for your patience in reading so much.
Ciao,
Maurizio
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

That was very eloquent Maurizio. You made some great points and they are well taken.

Jim :)
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

JamesBianco wrote:That was very eloquent Maurizio. You made some great points and they are well taken.
Jim :)
Thank-you very much for letting me know.
Have a nice day.
suanj wrote:Letter for Peter:
Dear Peter,
I hope that you can read this my post; I want say you that you are my good friend, and sure an good man... and if other persons have other opinion of you, well is free, but, again I want say you, that here, you lack me so much.
suanj
Suanj, solo una riga per farti sapere che so per certo che il nostro comune amico ha letto (e apprezzato) il tuo messaggio.
Buona giornata.

Ciao,
Maurizio