Need help deciphering name of town!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jguizio

Need help deciphering name of town!

Post by jguizio »

Hi,
I'm not sure how to post images from ancestry.com but if anyone has the world version and could look up under the atti di matrimonio for potenza, avigliano, 1877 #41 Rocco Giuzio and read the name of the town he was born in I would appreciate it so much!

http://search.ancestry.it/Browse/view.a ... sid=&gskw=
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Need help deciphering name of town!

Post by adelfio »

I think it is Pietrafesa called Pietrafesa until 1887 now it is called Satriano di Lucania in Potenza province

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

Marty thank you again!! I'm getting closer to figuring this all out thanks to you. I have a marriage record from 1873 all hand written for Pasquale Giuzio, are you able to understand any pertinent information in it. Does it say he was born in Pietrafesa as well and what his parents names were?
http://search.ancestry.it/Browse/view.a ... sid=&gskw=
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Pasquale Giuzio age 25 son of Raffaele Giuzio and Anna Miglionico??
Vita Santarsiero age 20 daughter of Vincenzo Santarsiero and Margherita Telesca
I dont see a birth town for Pasquale look at his sister LUCIA GIUZIO marriage record INDEX #186 1875 in Avigliano she was also born in Pietrafesa
Click on prompt
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/View. ... io.1875.93

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

Well I've spent a week going through every single marriage and birth record of Avigliano for the Giuzio name. I have found many but the funny thing is the one hole in the records is for my Carmine Giuzio, who I'm sure now was probably born in Pietrfesa, but before the records available online and was married in Avigliano during the 2 year period where there are no records online. What I have figured out through a combination of census, passenger, and birth records, is that Carmine's brother was definitely Antonio Giuzio married to Maria Giovanna Lovallo whose sons Raffaele, Salvatore, and Vito listed their uncle Carmine as the person they were visiting on their manifest to New York. I'm also sure one of the brothers was Rocco. Not sure if this Pasquale is also a direct relative but the names keep repeating themselves for Giuzios from Pietrafesa living in Avigliano. Rocco,Antonio, Pasquale, Salvatore,Raffaele and Anna Maria.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Sometimes thats what you have to do just mark somewhere the pages the year indexes are on in a notebook in case you have to go back to look up more records
Great Job!!!!!
MARTY

Marty
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

Just wanted to say a belated thanks for the help with this! I actually went to Satriano di Lucania (Pietrafesa) last fall and got the Birth certificate for Carmine Giuzio! It was an amazing experience, couldn't have done it without you!