Cefalu Family of Bogalusa, Louisiana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kimhamilton

Cefalu Family of Bogalusa, Louisiana

Post by kimhamilton »

I am looking for any information on the Cefalu family of Bogalusa, Louisiana.
They originated from Cefalu, Italy. The first generation information I have is
Rosario Cefalu married unknown Papa
they had 1 child Charles Cefalu
unknown Papa died in childbirth

Rosario Cefalu married Mary Papa (unknown Papa's sister)
they settled in Bogalusa, Louisiana where they are both died and are buried.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Re: Cefalu Family of Bogalusa, Louisiana

Post by carmine1917 »

I think I know someone researching the same town, message me please
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are records of Cefalu Palermo online at familysearch.org
https://beta.familysearch.org/search/im ... Fwaypoints

Do you have some birthdates I looked on ancestry.com at the public trees for Rosario Cefalu they have all different birth dates for him

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

for everyone's reference:
from FamilySearch
Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1850-1875, 1894-1956

name: Rosario Cefalu
death date: 04 Apr 1929
death place: Bogalusa, , Washington, Louisiana
race (original): Italian
race (standardized): Italian
estimated birth year: 1866
birth place: Cefalu, Italy
marital status: Married
spouse's name: Mary Cefalu
father's name: Tony Cefalu
mother's name: Mary Perrona

film number: 2388341
image number: 01625
certificate number: 5953
digital folder number: 4219290
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I have checked the online records of Italy, Palermo, Termini I...on (Tribunale), 1862-1910 Cefalù for birth records of Rosario Cefalu and Mary Papa and came up empty
How accurate are their birth dates?
How about the ancestry.com family tree info?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kimhamilton

Post by kimhamilton »

Thank you so much for the replies! I am so sorry it has taken me so long to return to this site. I began working on my mother's family line (Much easier!) and took a break from the Italian side!

The information I have comes from the family history, which is quite spotty! (Im surprised at how very little big Italian families talk about the past!) As close as they are! It did not help that the generation that traveled to the US never learned English and the generation that is left to carry on the family line does not know Italian nor the Italian history.

The family lore is that

Rosario moved to the US to avoid a crackdown either by the law or by the mafia, ? , He was said to have changed his name from Blanco to Cefalu upon his exit. He was married at the time to a wife __________ PaPa. Upon his arrival in the US they settled in Bogalusa, LA and the wife passed away after giving birth to their son. Rosario either went back to Cefalu, Italy and married her sister Mary Papa or sent for her to come to America and marry him and take care of her sister's family. This fact is known to be true. But the name of the sister is not known.

I am having trouble getting a copy of Mary Papa Cefalu's Death records but continue to try. (Louisiana red tape!)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kimberly
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Rosario Cefalu and Rosa Papa
INDEX#57
1888 Oct 23rd in the town of Cefalu appeared Rosario Cefalu age 22 (1866) fisherman born in Cefalu son of deceased Antonio Cefalu and deceased Maria Pirrone married Rosa Papa age 14(1874)weaver born in Cefalu daughter of deceased Pietro Papa and Antonina Curreri

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1882328464

Marty

Marty
rac77

Post by rac77 »

kimhamilton wrote:Thank you so much for the replies! I am so sorry it has taken me so long to return to this site. I began working on my mother's family line (Much easier!) and took a break from the Italian side!

The information I have comes from the family history, which is quite spotty! (Im surprised at how very little big Italian families talk about the past!) As close as they are! It did not help that the generation that traveled to the US never learned English and the generation that is left to carry on the family line does not know Italian nor the Italian history.

The family lore is that

Rosario moved to the US to avoid a crackdown either by the law or by the mafia, ? , He was said to have changed his name from Blanco to Cefalu upon his exit. He was married at the time to a wife __________ PaPa. Upon his arrival in the US they settled in Bogalusa, LA and the wife passed away after giving birth to their son. Rosario either went back to Cefalu, Italy and married her sister Mary Papa or sent for her to come to America and marry him and take care of her sister's family. This fact is known to be true. But the name of the sister is not known.

I am having trouble getting a copy of Mary Papa Cefalu's Death records but continue to try. (Louisiana red tape!)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kimberly

I am a Cefalu and my great grandfather is Rosario Cefalu. The incident you speak of is very similar to the story I've heard in my family, except that Rosario moved to the US to escape the mafia and that he changed his name from Lo Bianco to Cefalu. I have also known that the sister's name was Mary Papa. When I was tracing my geneology, once I got to Mary Papa, it was like the family dropped off the face of the earth. However, my aunt says she has the lineage and is going to send it to me.