1920 Ellis Island Vincenzo and Matilde Lo Bianco on Olympic

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

1920 Ellis Island Vincenzo and Matilde Lo Bianco on Olympic

Post by 120camden »

Lists Matilde as an American Citizen by Marriage. Would that mean her husband Vincenzo was american? They came over in August. Her parents Armand and Joan Lagneau came in November. Supposedly Matilde was born in Buenos Aires.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 1920 Ellis Island Vincenzo and Matilde Lo Bianco on Olym

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the manifest?

T.
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

I do not know how to post the manifest. Since the post, today someone sent me a message from ancestor.com. Seems that Vincenzo (Vincent) was an American citizen of Italian descent.
There is a news article from the Kokomo Tribune. Googling Vincent Lobianco they found the article. I have only been using Vincenzo!! Article is from 1920 after they came to US and settled in Kokomo. Vincent apparently was in WW1 over in France, met my Grandmother and went back to marry her.

So there must be enlistment papers or something I can check for Vincenzo (Vincent) Lobianco. DOB around 1990.

Be happy to post this if you can tell me how!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Tessa78 wrote:Can you post the manifest?

T.
Here's the 1920 manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/3812/1920gyvd.jpg

Arrival Date: 25 Aug 1920
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Olympic

Vincenzo Lo Bianco 29, abt 1891
Mathilde Lo Bianco 28, abt 1892

(image copied to my computer desktop from ancestry. com , 'do not resize' image then uploaded to imageshack. com, 'direct link' copied here)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

vj wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:Can you post the manifest?

T.
Here's the 1920 manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/3812/1920gyvd.jpg

Arrival Date: 25 Aug 1920
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Ship Name: Olympic

Vincenzo Lo Bianco 29, abt 1891
Mathilde Lo Bianco 28, abt 1892

(image copied to my computer desktop from ancestry. com , 'do not resize' image then uploaded to imageshack. com, 'direct link' copied here)
Could it be that on the manifest Valarie posted above (Hey Valarie :-D )
it states that Mathilde was born in Paris???

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe it is interesting the Matilde passport:
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 about Mathilde Lagneau Lo Bianco
Name: Mathilde Lagneau Lo Bianco
Birth Date: 23 Nov 1891
Birth Place: Buenos-aires, Republica Argentina
Residence: Choisy-le-roi, 16 Ave D'alfortville

Passport Issue Date: 10 Aug 1920
Spouse Name: Vincenzo Vincenzo
Passport Includes a Photo:

pag 1 Image
pag 2 Image
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

-Vincenzo Lo Bianco passport:
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 about Vincenzo Lo Bianco
Name: Vincenzo Lo Bianco
Birth Date: 12 Feb 1891
Birth Place: Siculiana, Italy
Residence: Kokomo, Indiana
Passport Issue Date: 6 Apr 1920
Passport Includes a Photo: Y

pag 1 Image

pag 2 Image

Vincenzo Lo Bianco was born in Siculiana, as Antonio Bruno...

first arrival:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Vincenzo Bianco
Name: Vincenzo Bianco
Arrival Date: 27 Nov 1908
Birth Year: abt 1891
Birth Location: Licély
Birth Location Other: sievliana
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Lombardia

Vincenzo (Lo) Bianco: uncle Antonino Lo Bianco in Siculiana; final destination St Louis Missouri , joining at uncle Giuseppe Indelicato
in travel with Antonino Bruno ( aka Antonio/Anthony/Tony BRUNO also was born in Siculiana, wife Francesca D'Anna in Siculiana; final destination St Louis Missouri, joining at brother in law Giuseppe Indelicato)

Anthony Bruno wife: Francesca D'ANNA trip crossed
First Name: Francesca
Last Name: D'Anna
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Siculiana, Girgenti
Date of Arrival: Jun 24, 1910
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Tomaso di Savoia
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0014

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014

with little son Giuseppe (Joseph) Bruno; mother Giuseppa Zupparda in Siculiana; joining at husband Antonino Bruno in St Louis Missouri

pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014

Francesca D'Anna and Giuseppe BRuno arrived in USA on Jul 08, 1910

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012
pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

Anthony (Antonino in Italy) Bruno married at Francesca D'Anna on 6 Jan 1908 #1;

groom Antonino BRUNO 28 old farmer son of late Giuseppe and of Francesca Dinolfo( or similar spelling)
bride Francesca D'ANNA 19 old, housewife, daughter of Francesco and of late Eleonora Parisi

-Vincenzo birth surname was Bianco and not Lo Bianco; Lo Bianco/LoBianco surname was is used in USA
Vincenzo birth act #55:
Siculiana 12 Feb 1891
Vincenzo BIANCO son of Antonino BIANCO 28 old, farmer and son of Crocifissa Maria Peri, seamstress, 20 old.

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey suanj :D ,
Great research!
Really terrific records
Hugs
Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thanks Valarie!
Hugs to you also!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Oh my gosh. I have to pick my mouth up off the floor. I cannot believe how nice everyone is that spent time looking for this information. I can;t thank you enough.
Cindy
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

vj wrote:Hey suanj :D ,
Great research!
Really terrific records
Hugs
Valarie
I AGREE!!! What finds! :-D

Hugs to you, suanj!

T.
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Matilda's mother, Jeanne Tosi was born in Sartirana, province de Pavia, Italy. At her death in 1945 she was 72, so that makes her born about 1873.
So before 1891 (which is matilda's birth in Buenos Aires,) Jean would have married Armand Lagneau, Belgium.

I have tried ancestor.com and family search to come up with affirmation of the Tosi maiden name and the marriage of Tosi/Lagneau.

The obituary of Armand 1925 lists him at 62 so born around 1863. It lists the last place he lived at Choisy le Rol, France which is the address that you found for Matilda. He also lists two brothers, Paul and Lewis.

Perhaps I can try and find passage records from Cherbourgh France for them to Buenos Aires? That is the port from France they left to come to America in 1920.

The passport photo you found of Vincenzo is the first picture we have ever seen of my Uncle's father. It is very uncanny to see the resemblance. My unle had a very Italian look. His mother, Matilda, does not look so Italian. Not like her mother Jeanne. My sister, who is 62, (I am 54), remembers our grandmother very well and remembers that she spoke American with a french accent. According to what you found, it looks like she was born in Buenos Aires and lived there until 1916. Came to America in 1920. So she would have spoken Spanish or Portugese, French then English. With her Father being Belgium, would he have spoken French?

We have a photo of a group...Matilda,her parents and others, that I think now was taken in Argentina. Based on the passport photo you found, Matilda looks younger in the group picture.

I just wish I had this inquisitiveness when my mother and uncle were alive. Maybe they had all the answers! I think my mother would have been very surprised to see all this.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

120camden wrote:Matilda's mother, Jeanne Tosi was born in Sartirana, province de Pavia, Italy. At her death in 1945 she was 72, so that makes her born about 1873.
So before 1891 (which is matilda's birth in Buenos Aires,) Jean would have married Armand Lagneau, Belgium.
Hi If the 1895 Argentina census is abt the right Matilda, her surname was Tossi(Tosi) .. and no Lagneau

I searched in Balcarce baptism from sep 1890 to aug 1892 and I no found a Matilde Tossi or Matilde Lagneau.. but maybe I missed... jist I found a baby girl born in Balcarce on 15 oct 1891: Teresa TOCE daughter of Donato TOCE, italian, and Cleotilde Colmes, french... also I found that many peoples was baptized after some year of birth.. so maybe Matilda baptism can be in 1893 or 1894 who know...?

I have tried ancestor.com and family search to come up with affirmation of the Tosi maiden name and the marriage of Tosi/Lagneau.
I agree
The obituary of Armand 1925 lists him at 62 so born around 1863. It lists the last place he lived at Choisy le Rol, France which is the address that you found for Matilda. He also lists two brothers, Paul and Lewis.

Perhaps I can try and find passage records from Cherbourgh France for them to Buenos Aires? That is the port from France they left to come to America in 1920.[/quote]
in CEMLA database nobody Armand Lagneau arrived from 1882 to 1925....
The passport photo you found of Vincenzo is the first picture we have ever seen of my Uncle's father. It is very uncanny to see the resemblance. My unle had a very Italian look. His mother, Matilda, does not look so Italian. Not like her mother Jeanne. My sister, who is 62, (I am 54), remembers our grandmother very well and remembers that she spoke American with a french accent. According to what you found, it looks like she was born in Buenos Aires and lived there until 1916. Came to America in 1920. So she would have spoken Spanish or Portugese, French then English. With her Father being Belgium, would he have spoken French?
I believe that Armand Lagneau adopted Matilda...
in Belgium the language is the french as in France

We have a photo of a group...Matilda,her parents and others, that I think now was taken in Argentina. Based on the passport photo you found, Matilda looks younger in the group picture.
Matilda seeming 8 old? 10 old ? or so? just for to understand when she left Argentina..
I just wish I had this inquisitiveness when my mother and uncle were alive. Maybe they had all the answers! I think my mother would have been very surprised to see all this.
yes, also if after so many years it is a bit hard to find more, because the search are in many countries: Italy, Argentina, Belgium, France.. USA..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Suanj,
You found passport applications for Matilda and Vincenzo. Would there also be applications for her parents that arrived to the US in November 1920?
Jeanne Tosi Lagneau and Armand Lagneau. I think they would have lived at the same address as Matilda?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I no found the jeanne or Armand Lagneau passports;
Matilda had the US Emergency Passport by US Embassy in Paris France; she declared that never in USA before; she was in Argentina from 1891 to 1916(!) and emigrated in France ( Matilda was in France from 1916 to 1920);
Vincenzo came in France and married at Matilda (1920); so she becoming US citizen by marriage; and both returning in USA...
in the trip of 1920, Armand and Jeanne was no US citizens; so no US passports...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH