Help with Birth Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Help with Birth Record Translation

Post by gemellua »

I believe I have translated it for the most part, but having a problem
with the times listed and the days.

Marina DiPasquale - Sep 1879
Father Antonino DiPasquale a villager residing in Sciara. Child was born
at 21 Via Camarda. Mother Orsola Lo Varco, daughter of Bartolomeo deceased
mother Marina Cavera still alive.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n676419242
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with Birth Record Translation

Post by liviomoreno »

The birth was registered at the town hall on Sept 22 4:20pm.
Marina Di Pasquale - Born 21 Sep 1879 at 3:20am
Father Antonino Di Pasquale, aged 30, a villager residing in Sciara. Child was born
at 21 Via Camarda. Mother Orsola Lo Varco, aged 20, villager, daughter of Bartolomeo deceased and of Marina Cavera still alive.

Please note that the surname is Di Pasquale not DiPasquale
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The occupation "villico" which appears in this record-I have never before seen it translated as "villager." I've always seen it translated as "farmer."

Here is some info I had previously gathered on the term villico-

The villici were landless, poor peasants, who lived in crude dwellings with their families, outside of the village center, near the fields they tended. Once a year they would present themselves in the village piazza to seek a contract for the next growing season. Sometimes they would be granted the same plot of land to farm; at other times, a different one kilometers away, or even no plot at all. In the absence of supervision, the villici did nothing to improve the land. Their drive for sustenance forced these temporary laborers to exploit the land, sow on nearby plots which had been designated to remain fallow, and to emphasize quantity over quality.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you liviomoreno for the translation! I'm aware of the proper spelling of Di Pasquale -an error in my rush to post the query. Thanks for pointing it out. This record is a surprise to me and will be one for the rest of my family. Our great grandmother told us she was born Sept 14, 1880. All her documents in the USA reflect that date. While I know this happens (I came across another years ago) it is still a surprise.

Thank you erudita74 for providing more info on the definition of "villico"
In this particular town, I have seen the word "farmer" listed for some
of the men. It may have only been used for those that actually owned
the property. I know my ggrandfather (married to Marina) did buy
land in this town in the 1890s. I'll have to see what word was used
to describe his occupation when I view the birth records of their
children. As always - I appreciate IG members' help :)
italianlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italianlaw »

I have Lo Varco brothers land records and maps of the land they worked in Sciara (PA) if someone is interested.

DATI ANAGRAFICI CODICE FISCALE DIRITTI E ONERI REALI

1 LO VARCO Antonino;FU BARTOLOME Livellario
2 LO VARCO Bartolomeo;FU BARTOLOME Livellario

Anthony Alioto
www.italianlaw.net
San Francisco
italianlaw@comcast.net
italianlaw
Rookie
Rookie

(OLD) Italian Agriculatural Law

Post by italianlaw »

"I know my ggrandfather (married to Marina) did buy
land in this town in the 1890s"

Our office addresses Italian agricultural law and related property rights. I have not seen the original Italian document but the above statement may not be legally factual in that those working the (called livellari) may have acquired the land from person holding the title as (Diritto del concedente.) Acquiring does not translate acurately to buying the land in the modern sense. Actually title transferred under other circumstances, but not necessarily with a purchase.

Anthony Alioto
http://www.italianlaw.net
San Francisco
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Dear Anthony:
Thank you for the information concerning property. It would be interesting to see the records and map of the land my Lo Varco relatives worked. As for my grandfather he worked here in the USA. As he saved his money he purchased enough land to start an olive farm. I don't know what year this was or if the initial plot of land was somehow acquired, but he added on to it over the years. He sold it between 1925-1930.