Need help finding family in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ShelliD

Need help finding family in Italy

Post by ShelliD »

Hi! I've just started researching my mother's family. We'll be traveling to Italy next summer and my mom would love to travel to the towns that both of her parents were from. We're wondering if there are any relatives still in any of the locations.

I've done some research on ancestry.com, but that only gets me so far. My grandmother has given us a lot of information, but I get stuck once everyone has already come to the US. I'd like to trace back into Italy farther.

Here is what I know -

I'm going to do separate posts for the two families. This is my grandmother's family:

Di Vito, from Fallo in the Abruzzo region

Patrizio Di Vito born 6/15/1894, came to US 6/11/1911 out of Liverpool into NY and lived in Philadelphia. He did change his name to Patrick at some point after coming to the US.

He was married to Rose Talone, who I believe also was from Fallo, but I'm not sure. Her father was Michael Talone, Born May, 1871 or 1880 and her mother was Teresa (married name Talone)

I'd love some help with information on their time in Fallo and how to find out if there are any Di Vito or Talone's still in that town.

Thank you!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding family in Italy

Post by erudita74 »

There are 17 families with the Di Vito surname in Fallo. You might try mailing letters to them to see if any are related to your family.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html (sample letter to potential relative in Italian, in case you need help with that)

Also have you tried Facebook? I know some have connected with relatives in Italy that way.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

To getstarted on a search for relatives you need to identify the siblings of those who emigrated. Getting the birth record (photocopy) may provide you with the address where they were born. This can cut down on the number of letters you write since often the family is still living on the same street.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On the shipmanifest 1911 > June > 24 > Campania > Record for Patrizia Divito New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 line #4 it says his FATHERS NAME IS DOMINIQUE DI VITO and there last residence was Paris France pg 2 says he was born in Fallo
The first 4 entries are all from Fallo
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,

1900 United States Federal Census about Michael Salone
Name: Michael Salone
[Michael Talone]
Birth Date: May 1871
Birthplace: Italy