Request for translation of a Birth Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
pappafrank

Request for translation of a Birth Document

Post by pappafrank »

Hello. Please see link. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In particular, I'm trying to find out whether the person identified as the person who appeared to make the birth declaration is in any way related to the person born. Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/3431/santa ... ascite.jpg
fbcomella

Re: Request for translation of a Birth Document

Post by fbcomella »

Frank, let me know how this works for you. I'm having a little trouble with attachments but looks like a very valuable site. The other Frank
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Because of the angle and condition of the record, I can't decipher a lot that is in the record. First of all, what town is this record from? I can see that it was in Palermo, but can't determine the town itself. That might help with the surnames.

The left side of the record-the birth act- appears to be dated on June 9, 1856 at 3 P.M. Anna, the informant was age 60. The part where her occupation should be is left blank. I can see that her last name starts d' but I can't make out the rest. Then it says "in Geraci ?" I know that Geraci is a Sicilian surname, but I don't know for sure that this is the surname in the record. If it is deciphered correctly, then it would be her husband's surname, which also appears to be the surname of the baby's father. I can't make out his first name. He was age 26. The baby's mother was Filippa, the last name may be Giglio, age 28. The baby girl was given the name Santa Salvadora, as far as I can tell. The baptism took place on the 9th as well. As to the witnesses, I can only read that the first name of the first witness was Giuseppe and that he was age 34. The second witness may have been Santo but I am not positive and can't read his surname at all. His age ends in the number 2, but I am not sure what it says before that. Can't read any of the professions in the record.
pappafrank

Post by pappafrank »

Thanks for your efforts! I do know that the father was Antonino Geraci, and from other documents, that Santa was born in 1836, not 1856. You indicate Anna was married to a Geraci. You indicate she was 60 but I still can't know then whether she was Santa's grandmother or other relative, even though her married name is the same as that of Santa's father. The town by the way is Termini Imerese, Sicily in the Province of Palermo. All of my immediate ancestors are from there, and I've visited there several times. Thanks again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Now that you say the baby's father was Antonino, I can clearly see that in the record. I don't see anything though that indicates that Anna was the grandmother, but it's certainly a possibility. The info may be in the record, but I just don't see it. All I know is that her occupation is left blank, so she wasn't considered a midwife, at least not formally. I know though that female family members often delivered babies even though they were not officially town midwives. As to the year of the record, because of the condition, I had trouble deciphering it, so it was probably 1836 and not 1856, as you say. Sorry, but I did the best I could with it, considering its condition, and with a hand held magnifier to try to enlarge it, without distorting it further.

Here is a link to surnames in the town in case that helps you.

http://www.avitrees.com/town_info.jsp?t ... on=Sicilia
zarminamalik

Post by zarminamalik »

its very difficult to read brother actually i am working ate italian translation company and i see many documents which are difficult to read but this one and specially the hand writing in the document is very hard to read.