Great-Grandfather's birth record translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5chandlers

Great-Grandfather's birth record translation

Post by 5chandlers »

Seeking a full translation of this document, I started on it, but didn't get far.
The cursive is beyond my abilities.
I always thought the date at the top was his birth date, but it seems there is a date further down in the document? Also wondering what all the written info is on the 2nd page?
File is at http://imageshack.us/a/img12/2623/josep ... record.jpg
Thank you very much,
James
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Great-Grandfather's birth record translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi James! :-D

You did well!

First, let me say that the notation on the left column indicates that Giuseppe married with Maria Antonia Gallo on 13 August 1925 in Rogliano...

Record is dated 19 may 1880 at 9:20 Am at the town hall in Rogliano...
before the official (as you stated) Giuseppe Altamare, attorney/councilor functioning as mayor and Official of Civil Office in Rogliano,
appeared Michele Parise, son of deceased Giuseppe, of age 37, farmhand, residing in Rogliano; to declare that at 6:20 AM on the 19th of the current month at the place in Rione Certi(?), no number, to Rosa Salvino, daughter of deceased Giuseppe, his legitimate wife, spinner, living with him, was born a child of male sex, who he presented to me[official] and to whom was given the name GIUSEPPE
To the above and this act were presented witnesses Bruno Cozza, son of deceased Lorenzo, age 76, shoemaker; and Giacinto Stumpo(?), age 38, landowner; both residing in this town.
The last part is the official stating that he read the present act to all the participants, and with him signed only the witnesses as the others were illiterate and didn't know how to write.

T.
5chandlers

Re: Great-Grandfather's birth record translation

Post by 5chandlers »

Thank you very much!