LoRe family from San Giuseppe Jato, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dserianni

LoRe family from San Giuseppe Jato, Sicily

Post by dserianni »

Researching my LoRe family, originally from San Giuseppe Jato, Palermo Province in Sicily. My greatgrandparents were Antonio LoRe (10/2/1880-4/6/1922) and Rosalia Verdino (12/25/1885-11/30/1957) both from San Giuseppe Jato. They came to the US in 1905 via Boston. His parents were Pietro and Rosalia LoRe. They originally lived in Dunkirk, NY and after Anthony died, Rosalie remarried John Terranova and settled in Rochester, NY.
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Re: LoRe family from San Giuseppe Jato, Sicily

Post by jgenduso »

Hi dserianni,

I am probably going to be of no help to you. My GM's madien name was Lore/LoRe/Lo Re. Both sides of my Italian grandparents are from Resuttano, CL, Sicily. Both sides came to the US in 1905 through NYC and lived on Monroe Street (2 1/2 Monroe to be exact). Then they moved across the river to NJ.

I haven't see anyone from the LoRe side the went up to Boston.

Wish i could be of more help,

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily
dserianni

Post by dserianni »

Thanks Joe. I do know that's where the entered and went immediately to Dunkirk, NY. My grandfather used to tell me about them being somehow connected to a LoGuidice family, who also was around the Dunkirk area. Guess I still have a lot of digging to do.
clb1921

Post by clb1921 »

Hi my name is Cheryl and my great granparents were from San Giuseppe Jato. My great great grandmothers maiden name was Terranova and great great grandfather is Mortillaro (Mortellaro). I am also from the Terzo and Ciambra line which are from the same area. I am living currently in Rochester NY. Can I help you with anything? I have microfiche on file at the local genealogy center containing Lo Re family info. A few of my relatives have married into the family. Let me know if I can assist or if you are near by I can allow you access to the film.
jlore

Post by jlore »

My great great grandfather Baldisaro Giuseppe LoRe,immigrated from Palermo to Ellis Island, he had earned the right to citizenship by fighting with the Americans in WWI and moved to Tampa and settled in Ybor City. There is also a Franco LoRe from Sicily that owns a restrauant here in Ybor called the Laughing Cat.

Jesse LoRe Jr
dserianni

Post by dserianni »

clb1921 wrote:Hi my name is Cheryl and my great granparents were from San Giuseppe Jato. My great great grandmothers maiden name was Terranova and great great grandfather is Mortillaro (Mortellaro). I am also from the Terzo and Ciambra line which are from the same area. I am living currently in Rochester NY. Can I help you with anything? I have microfiche on file at the local genealogy center containing Lo Re family info. A few of my relatives have married into the family. Let me know if I can assist or if you are near by I can allow you access to the film.
Hello Cheryl. Sorry I just noticed this response you made quite a while ago. I have been researching my LoRe lines from San Giuseppe Jato and am at a dead end for now. My g-grandfather was Antonio LoRe, born 10/2/1880 in San Giuseppe Jato. He died in Dunkirk, NY 4/7/1911. He was married to Rosalie (Verdino/Vuldini). She was born in San Giuseppe Jato 12/25/1885 and died in Rochester, NY 11/30/1957. She came to the US 5/29/1905 through Boston and was called "Vuldini" on the passenger record. They had 3 children, one of which was my grandfather Thomas LoRe.

After Antonio died, she married twice more. Her second marriage was to a Stephen Argento in Rochester. In the marriage records her parents are listed as Gaetano LoGiudico and Rose Recatta. So I'm confused as to her real last name. Her third marriage was to Giovanni (John) Terranova. He was previously married to a Rosalia Sgroi. At this point I know nothing of any siblings to either of my great grandparents.

I would really be interested to know more about your connection to the LoRe's and Terranova's. Again, sorry for the lateness in my response.

Dave Serianni
clb1921

Post by clb1921 »

Hi Dave. I could look up my microfiche and get her birth certificate if you dont posses it now. Also if you ate close to the Rochester area you can stop inat the Genealogy Center on Westfall Rd andlook at the film yourself. I have gone through it and obtained the info I needed. But there are tons of LoRe's in the film. Let me know but in the mean time I can look up her certificate.
dserianni

Post by dserianni »

Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate the look-up. I'm in Penfield but work has me on a special project working all kinds of round the clock hours. Depending on when I get some time, I'd like to go Westfall to check out the films. Between LoRe, LoGiudice, Verdino/Vuldini names it would be nice to know if my g-grandparents had any siblings. My g-grandfather Antonio LoRe died 2 months before my grandfather (Thomas) was born, so all anybody had were stories.

Thanks again.
clb1921

Post by clb1921 »

Not a problem. When I get a chance ill get the info for you.
clb1921

Post by clb1921 »

Hi dave. Antonino LoRe born 10/3/1880, son of Pietro LoRe (40) and Calogera Liotta (38) of #8Via Rizzo. Had a sister named Provvidenza born 8/28/83. My film ends in 1884 but it did list his marriage to Rosalia Vuldiro (?) On1/2/1903. I hope this helps a little.
dserianni

Post by dserianni »

Thank you so much for the information! I finally have a sibling for my g-grandfather and more digging to do. Now if I can just figure out why my great-gandmother Rosalie Vuldiro (Vuldini) listed her parents as LoGiudice(o), I'd have another mystery solved. I am going to try to get to Westfall to look at the films further. Again, thank you.
clb1921

Post by clb1921 »

Possibility that it may have been her aunt and uncle listed. Many forms were incorrect because of language barriers. My g-grandmother listed her cousins as her parents/ legal guardians when she was married but on the actual certificate she had her parents names also but said her fathers name was Rosso instead of Rasola. I later found out why, but that was what used to occur when you were becoming American. LOL Good luck and keep me posted. By the way, if ou do look at the film, it will be inthe Italian section, I believe the second drawer and it is listed as San Giuseppe Jato and under Cheryl Bennett. My name is Cheryl Mortellaro, but I didn't have a name change to that of my fathers until recently.