Looking for information on Cappetta/Cappetto family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
capeto2

Looking for information on Cappetta/Cappetto family

Post by capeto2 »

I am looking for any information available on my family. My GGF is Fedele Cappetta, his father was Lorenzo Cappetto. they came from Orsara Di Puglia. And settled in Chicago. Any information is great! Thanks in advance.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information on Cappetta/Cappetto family

Post by maestra36 »

From the Cook County Illinois Naturalization Index at the following website:

http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/NR/default.aspx

Record Details for Volume 90
Page Number: 300
Declaration Number: 44800

FIRST NAME LAST NAME OCCUPATION
FEDELE CAPPETTO LABORER
BIRTH CITY BIRTH COUNTRY BIRTH DATE
ORSARA DI PUGLIA ITALY 4/21/1866
CURRENT ADDRESS CURRENT CITY
5002 S DEARBORN ST CHICAGO
DEPARTURE LOCATION ARRIVAL DATE DECLARATION DATE
NAPLES, ITALY 2/4/1913 4/14/1915
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Fedele
Last Name: Cappetta
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Orsara
Date of Arrival: Apr 12, 1901
Age at Arrival: 34y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Buenos Aires
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0007

The above is not the same passenger list info mentioned in the declaration of intent for citizenship in my previous entry. The ages of these two Fedele's match up though. On 1901 manifest Fedele was going to a cousin named Carlo.
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

That was definetly him. He came in 1901 and went back after his wife died in 1911, then came back in 1912. I also think he left and came back one other time too. I have never seen his naturalization records. I know they have 5002 S Dearborn listed as the address in several resources. Thank you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Fedele filed a "Declaration of Intent," which was the First Step in the naturalization process.

Here's some info about the naturalization process in case you are not familiar with it.

General Rule: The Two-Step Process for Naturalization

Congress passed the first law regulating naturalization in 1790 (1 Stat. 103). As a general rule, naturalization was a two-step process that took a minimum of 5 years. After residing in the United States for 2 years, an alien could file a "declaration of intent" (so-called "first papers") to become a citizen. After 3 additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization." After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court. As a general rule, the "declaration of intent" generally contains more genealogically useful information than the "petition." The "declaration" may include the alien's month and year (or possibly the exact date) of immigration into the United States.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Also, you say his spouse died in 1911 but never gave me her name. The link below takes you to the Illinois statewide death index for pre-1916. You can search her in that index if you don't have her exact date of death.

http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/deathsrch.html
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I also think he left and came back one other time too
Interesting 1916 arrival manifest for:

Terlizzi Marianna (maiden name) age 38, married, from Orsara di Puglia, leaving in italy her mother Geltrude Borrelli, joinin her husband Cappetta Fedele living on 4830 Federal street...

travelling with:
Del Priore Rocchina, age 13, female, daughter
Cappetta Paolo, age 11, male Step-son
Cappetta Elvira, age 4, female, daughter

them all born in Italy

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

December 3, 1906

NY arrival manifest for Fedele Cappetta, age 40, married, from Orsara to Chicago to join his cousin Antonio Nedda. He stated also he was in the U.S. before (Butler - PA)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

Laura :D

edit to add 1920 census manfiest from Ancestry.com:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Fedle Cappettea
Name: Fedle Cappettea
[Fedle Cappettca]
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 30, Cook (Chicago), Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1912
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Fedle Cappettea 53
Mary Cappettea 39
Rockie Cappettea 16
Paul Cappettea 15
Mary Cappettea 7
Lawrence Cappettea 1
[1 3/12]

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsdRyqi

and 1913 arrival manifest for Fedele Cappetta, age 46, married, from Orsara to Butler PA to join his brother in law Leonardo (can't recognize the lastname, maybe Di Foggia?)

Page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

again form Ancestry.com:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Fred Cappetti
Name: Fred Cappetti
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Fred Cappetti 65 head, born in IT,
Mary Cappetti 49 wife, orn in IT,
Mary Cappetti 17 daughter, born in IT
Lawrence Cappetti 11 son, born in IL

page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqL1EAr
page 2:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVuDud9

Laura
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Great finds, Laura. As always, thanks for your assistance.
Peg
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

Thank you for all the information. I had previously not been able to find them on the 1930 census. Marianna Terlizzi was his second wife. His first wives name was Beatrice Vinezia. As far as I know she never came to the US and was told she died in Orsara. As for the Butler, PA, I had seen that on the manifest. Although, when I asked my elder family member she didn't know the family had ever been in PA. We were always under the impression that the older generations had stayed in Chicago. Thanks again!
mapagano

Post by mapagano »

I only recently found this website on genealogy.
If you are still tracking, I might have some more information about the Cappetta family.

On a trip to Orsara di Puglia in 2008, I asked a friend to look up information about my grandparents (my grandfather was Pasquale Pagano and his wife Guilietta Mastropieri). The information that was sent to me indicated that my grandfather's grandmother's name was Maria Maddalena Cappetta. Searching the ship manifests through Ellis Island, I learned that my grandfather (Pasquale Pagano) was accompanied in 1909 by many people from Orsara di Puglia, including Michele Cappetta who was headed to Chicago. My grandfather went to Butler, PA, but ended up in Pittsburgh. Michele identified his destination as Chicago, with his father, Fedele, at 4908 Aurora Ave, Chicago. I am not certain of the street's name; it wasn't clear on the manifest.
At any rate, if you are still interested, it seems that the Cappetta, Terlizzi, Pagano families are relatives according to 19th century documents.
Do you have any more information on the Cappetta family in Chicago?
Michael Pagano
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

Sorry if this ends up on here twice....I am still researching my family. I have noticed the last name Pagano in my research. I am going to go thru my papers and see what I can put together. Michele Cappetta was my great grandfather, making Fedele my great great grandfather. I am interested to know anything you might have figured out already. Can't wait to hear more.

Gina
mapagano

Post by mapagano »

Gina,
Here's some more informtion that I found: Pasquale Pagano was born in Orsara on May 23, 1806, the son of Michele Pagano and Lucia Monaco. He married (don't know when) Maria Maddalena Cappetta who was born in Orsara on Nov 23, 1806, and she was the daughter of Pietrantonio and Emanuela Terlizzi (I don't know Emanuela's maiden name).

This union of Pasquale Pagano and Maria Maddalena Cappetta produced at least one child, Michele Pagano (born Nov 19, 18380, who fathered five children, one of whom was my grandfather, also Pasquale born on Sept 12, 1885.

On the basis of this information and the previous reply (about my grandfather accompanying Michele Cappetta on a trip from Naples to Ellis Island along with many others from Orsara), I deduced that Pasquale Pagano (b. 1885, my grandfather) and Michele Cappetta were probably first cousins. Does that match with your information?

Also, my grandfather, Pasquale Pagano, married into the Mastropieri family of which there are still a few in Orsara, including the Cericola, Acquaviva and Bolsa names. Do any of these names connect to your genealogy?

Look forward to learning more from you. btw, are the Cappettas still in Chicago? (I moved to Chicago 12 years ago)
capeto2

Post by capeto2 »

To be honest, I have been doing this for a couple years and don't know too much about anything that happened before coming to the US. I have a distant cousin that does research as well and she only got back to the generation that would have been born around 1845. I don't have any of those names in my tree (that I know of!) but like I said I don't know very much about what happened in Italy. I have to assume they are related some how, I mean Orsara is not that big and how many Cappetta's can there be! My only concern, although on a personal level, is that my Great great grandfather, Fedele Cappetta's second wife's last name was Terlizzi, which means the families were married at least twice! My living Cappetto relatives are still in Chicago, although mostly in the suburbs now.