Gallotta ,La Greca Family tree help plz

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Gallotta ,La Greca Family tree help plz

Post by bluefairy79 »

Hi i don't really know wear to begin so i hope i am doing this right.I wanted to start my family tree so i would know where i came from and give something to my kids to carry on.So i began asking questions about my family.so my mother's name is Gallotta and my dads is Lagreca i know they came here to montreal with the saturina both in 1963 dad was in dec 13 and mom was feb 9 both were headed to halifax I was shocked to see both my parents still have the boarding passes of this ship.Anway it got my to ask how would i get more info from italy? i would like to know
Gallotta Emanuele,Salvatore is my grandpa his fathers name was Francesco not sure if he was born in 1899 or died then Francesco was married to Serafina Lovece which i did meet when i was 11 great lady.Wish i would have asked her more questions.Francesco's father was Donato Gallotta from what i know they lived in Genzano di lucania.
My Father is Giuseppe La greca his father was Michele and died here 1988 montreal he was born 19-08-20 his Father was Giuseppe and he was married to Calogera Ulino They came from Ribera Sicilia. if you can guide me to anything i would be grateful..Thanks in advance.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Gallotta ,La Greca Family tree help plz

Post by Tessa78 »

bluefairy79 wrote:Hi i don't really know wear to begin so i hope i am doing this right.I wanted to start my family tree so i would know where i came from and give something to my kids to carry on.So i began asking questions about my family.so my mother's name is Gallotta and my dads is Lagreca i know they came here to montreal with the saturina both in 1963 dad was in dec 13 and mom was feb 9 both were headed to halifax I was shocked to see both my parents still have the boarding passes of this ship.Anway it got my to ask how would i get more info from italy? i would like to know
Gallotta Emanuele,Salvatore is my grandpa his fathers name was Francesco not sure if he was born in 1899 or died then Francesco was married to Serafina Lovece which i did meet when i was 11 great lady.Wish i would have asked her more questions.Francesco's father was Donato Gallotta from what i know they lived in Genzano di lucania.
My Father is Giuseppe La greca his father was Michele and died here 1988 montreal he was born 19-08-20 his Father was Giuseppe and he was married to Calogera Ulino They came from Ribera Sicilia. if you can guide me to anything i would be grateful..Thanks in advance.

Hello bluefairy79, and welcome :-D!
The Surname may have been spelled with an "i", not an "o"

Found this record in 1899 :-D
Birth in Genzano di Lucania of FRANCESCO GALLOTTI

Record #201
Dated 22 February 1899
Birth declared by the midwife, Giuseppa Ghelfi, age 37
Born to Cristina Di Stasi, legitimate wife of DONATO GALLOTTI
Child was given the name Francesco
Witnesses to the recording of the birth act:
Polito Montesano and Donata Di Stasi

Bottom right side of image
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

Interestingly, the surname is spelled with an "o" in the marriage record!!! :-D

Marriage of Donato Gallotto and Cristina Di Stasi, in 1898 in Genzano
Record #12
Dated 6 February 1898
Groom: Donato Gallotto, age 24, peasant farmer; son of deceased Antonio and of deceased Rosa Trinchitelli
Bride: Cristina Di Stasi, age 18, peasant farmer; daughter of father unknown, and of Maria Luigia Di Stasi

Right side

T.
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »

Omg thank you so much i would have never found this never thought that records would have spelling that was incorrect etc.So i will contact family in italy to conf all info are correct you are a famblous person for helping me.I was about to give up now you gave me my second wind that i needed THANK YOU SO MUCH...Tessa78 seeing the records brought a smile to face.
Did you happen to find anything for the LA GRECA NAME i will make another post for this thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to have helped :-D

I noticed on the Family Tree you have on Ancestry that Michele La Greca is listed as born in Cammarata... not Ribera. Is this correct?

I think making a separate post will be helpful.

T.
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »

Yes as i go i update things there and also here haven't gotten the chance lol yes dad did conf sz that the name la greca also came from Cammarata.He also told me grandpa michele had a brother vito that went to the u.s.a. instead of here.I did do another post for La greca that can help as well ...i am on overload here so many people and the names keep changing cause they were not educated but its great start and i am hoping to find out alot please feel free to ask me anything on my family tree.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

bluefairy79 wrote:Yes as i go i update things there and also here haven't gotten the chance lol yes dad did conf sz that the name la greca also came from Cammarata.He also told me grandpa michele had a brother vito that went to the u.s.a. instead of here.I did do another post for La greca that can help as well ...i am on overload here so many people and the names keep changing cause they were not educated but its great start and i am hoping to find out alot please feel free to ask me anything on my family tree.

I had been searching the indexes in Cammarata, and stumbled upon a birth record for Vito La Greca in 1900. Will have to go back and find it :-)

EDIT: This Vito was the son of Vincenzo La Greca and Maria Scrudato
NOT the brother of the Giuseppe I found below :-)

I also found a birth record for a Giuseppe La Greca, born in 1899...HOWEVER, not able to "connect" him to you, yet. His father's name was Salvatore, and his mother's surname was Genovese...

T.
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »

I am soooo excited i will have more info tonight i know that my dads uncle Vito is still alive and my dad will call him to ask for more info and so is my aunt as soon as i have it i will update both here and ancestry i don't know how much to thank you.you have brought me to tears on how happy i am now...THANK YOU...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Prego! :-D

T.
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »

From what i know so far cause things keep comming in from family ...
Vito was my grandpa Michele's brother he is still living and vito has a son Giuseppe la greca i also know giuseppe has a son marco la greca i should have more.I also just got a copy of the death cert for Emanuele Giubilaro and birth cert of Giuseppa Marchica.This is so amazing to see and find ...Again i could not do this without your help THANKS
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »

I just noticed something really wierd on the certifcates donato spells his name galotto on his marriage cert to cristina but when his son is born it's gallotti so how do i input this in my chart.do i follow both names???
Tessa78 wrote:
bluefairy79 wrote:Hi i don't really know wear to begin so i hope i am doing this right.I wanted to start my family tree so i would know where i came from and give something to my kids to carry on.So i began asking questions about my family.so my mother's name is Gallotta and my dads is Lagreca i know they came here to montreal with the saturina both in 1963 dad was in dec 13 and mom was feb 9 both were headed to halifax I was shocked to see both my parents still have the boarding passes of this ship.Anway it got my to ask how would i get more info from italy? i would like to know

Hello bluefairy79, and welcome :-D!
The Surname may have been spelled with an "i", not an "o"

Found this record in 1899 :-D
Birth in Genzano di Lucania of FRANCESCO GALLOTTI

Record #201
Dated 22 February 1899
Birth declared by the midwife, Giuseppa Ghelfi, age 37
Born to Cristina Di Stasi, legitimate wife of DONATO GALLOTTI
Child was given the name Francesco
Witnesses to the recording of the birth act:
Polito Montesano and Donata Di Stasi

Bottom right side of image
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

Interestingly, the surname is spelled with an "o" in the marriage record!!! :-D

Marriage of Donato Gallotto and Cristina Di Stasi, in 1898 in Genzano
Record #12
Dated 6 February 1898
Groom: Donato Gallotto, age 24, peasant farmer; son of deceased Antonio and of deceased Rosa Trinchitelli
Bride: Cristina Di Stasi, age 18, peasant farmer; daughter of father unknown, and of Maria Luigia Di Stasi

Right side

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I would enter the information as it's spelled. The other information in the record will make the "connection" as your ancestor. It was common to see names get different spellings from time to time...

T.