Cava de Tirreni?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Boberek18
Rookie
Rookie

Cava de Tirreni?

Post by Boberek18 »

Hey. I always believed and was told that my ancestors came from Naples and Salerno, but when I read a ships manifest when my GG Grandfather came to America, it said he was sailing from Napoli, but it said he was Borneo in cava de Tirreni. Are they near each other or are thy close apart. Did they say they were from Naples because it was the closest big city or am I completely wrong. Thanks! :D
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Cava de Tirreni?

Post by Tessa78 »

Boberek18 wrote:Hey. I always believed and was told that my ancestors came from Naples and Salerno, but when I read a ships manifest when my GG Grandfather came to America, it said he was sailing from Napoli, but it said he was Borneo in cava de Tirreni. Are they near each other or are thy close apart. Did they say they were from Naples because it was the closest big city or am I completely wrong. Thanks! :D
Though Cava de'Tirreni is in Province of Salerno, and Naples is in Province of Naples, they are BOTH in the Campania Region. They are less than 30 miles apart!

Your ancestor may have listed Naples because it was the port from which the ship sailed, or as you stated, it was the nearest big city.

I noticed that Valarie provided you in the Italian Genealogy Forum with the address of the municipal offices in Cava de'Tirreni so you could write for records. :-)

T.