Birth record of Grandfather Domenico Gallardi

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Parma

Birth record of Grandfather Domenico Gallardi

Post by Parma »

I have tried unsuccessfully to translate this document. I can figure out a few words but the script from 1886 is very difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Gallardi birth record
Gallardi birth record
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Birth record of Grandfather Domenico Gallardi

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website

1886 Feb 9th in the town of Caserta born a foundling male child named Domenico Gallardi no mother or father listed

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Record date: 1886, February 9th. Record #13
The Registrar received a document from the "Congregazione di Carità" stating that a male baby was left at such foundling hospital, just born and with no marks, on February 7th at 4 p.m.. The child was given name Domenico and surname Gallardi.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Parma

Post by Parma »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to the website

1886 Feb 9th in the town of Caserta born a foundling male child named Domenico Gallardi no mother or father listed

Marty
Thank you so much for your help.
Parma

Post by Parma »

Thank you so much for all your help.
Parma

Post by Parma »

Would you be able to tell me if he was discharged to someone or someplace? Was it a hospital that brought him to register his birth or an orhanage? Trying to see if I can go any further with this. Also I am sure he was probably baptized Catholic but not sure where to start looking for something like that. Thank you again for your help.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

He was discharged at the "Congregazione di Carità", the organization where foundlings were left or taken at birth. The act says there were no marks on him (writings, labels, or any object). The one hope would be to see the "allegati di nascita" (birth attachments) if available. One more hint would be if they had given a name with a "meaning"; for instance, a surname similar to the one of his parents. In fact, sometimes parents were only officially unknown, but in reality they were only people who could not take care of their children, so they informally asked the child to be given a "traceable" name.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Parma

Post by Parma »

Thank you. Where would I find the "allegati di nascita". Is there a place to write to? Would it be kept in the Archives or at the town level? Rumor was he was the child of a high official but I've been told to take that with a grain of salt. Also was he born in the town of Caserta or the provence of Caserta? I can only hope he was given a traceable name!! It has taken me all these years just to get this far! All relatives have been long deceased.
Parma

Post by Parma »

Would anyone be able to give a full translation of this document. I would like to have it to be able to give it to my children along with the original. Thank you.