Vito and Cecilia Bagarozza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sean9332

Vito and Cecilia Bagarozza

Post by Sean9332 »

Hi,

Does anyone know anythng about Vito and Cecilia Bagarozza (nee Turlitzi or Terlitzi I'm unsure of the actual spelling). My mum would love to know some information about her family. What we do know is they moved to Australia from Castlenouva Di Conza (near Salerno) in circa 1930 to 1940. They moved to Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia. Vito's brother name was Frank (Franco, Francesco) if anyone can help that would be great.

thanks

Sean
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vito and Cecilia Bagarozza

Post by jackdaisy »

Sean, your post is very interesting to me. I have information on the Bagharozza family that might be connected to yours. This is the first time I have been on this site in over a week so I didn't read the post until today.
I have been researching a family in Castelnuovo di Conza for over a year. A Francesco (Frank)Sibili (not sure of the surname spelling) left there in 1902 and came to New Jersey.He married a Katherine Colonna in New Jersey and they had a family there. I am related to one of the descendent and I am doing the rsearch.
Here is the interesting part for you, A sister of Katherine Colonna named Maria Giuseppina Colonna born in New Jersey married a man named Frank (Francesco In Italy)BAGAROZZA in New Jersey in 1918.Frank was born in Castelnuovo di Conza in 1892. Frank's parents are Michele Bagarozza and his Mother is Maria Gisueppa Di Ruggiero. Frank/Francesco's Father was in New Jersey before him and met him at the boat. There is no word of his Mother. That is about all I have about the Bagarozza family.
I believe the Bagarozza name is in the present day directory in Castelnuovo di Conza. I wonder if it would be smart to write to one of them to see what they have to say? The Comune is not that big and I would hope that any present day Bagarozza's in Castelnuovo would have some degree of relationship to your family. The question is would they know anything.
Concerning Research, I haven't found any films for Castelnuovo di Conza in the LDS library so I wrote asking for a record on my Frank Sibilia in Italian directly, twice, to the Stato Civile in the Comune but have not yet received an answer.
Maybe you can match the birth day of my Frank Bagarozza with the dates of your family and see if there is any time line. Frank and Maria Giuseppina did not have any children. There are no members of the family living that know any more about their anestors.
I would like to hear from you and see if we can help each other.

Jack
Sean9332

Post by Sean9332 »

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply and the lead to follow. This is extremely important to my mother as she and he older brother are the only remaining children of the family. I will talk to my mother and see if I can get some more information about the family that might help us out. Once again thanks and I'll be back to you soon.

Thanks

Sean.
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

Sean, I have found out some information since your last post in Oct 2012. As I stated previously a Frank Bagarozza married in Newark NJ in 1918 a sister from the family I worked on, Josephine Colonna. Recently a relative told me that he had a brother in Australia but that is all she knows. She said Frank went to Australia to visit him once long ago. Frank and his wife did not have any children.
But here is some info on Vito:
He arrived in New York in 1911. Came with other men from Castelnuoe di Conza. No wife with him but he stated he had a wife Rosina Custode.
There are records which I believe are voting registration in Australia showing Vito, Cecilia ( spelled different) a Lino and a Leslie Dawn living in Bundaberg up to 1980 at least.
If Vito and Frank are brothers as it appears then their Father is Michele and the Mother is Maria Giuseppa Di Ruggiero.
That is all I have

Jack