Italian Heritage Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
projectfinale

Italian Heritage Help

Post by projectfinale »

Alright, I have done tons of research but am stuck at this point. It does not help that the legibility of the Ship Manifest is difficult, but here is what I have.

Nicola Angelini (Born: October 11th, 1878). He was arrived in America via Ellis Island on the ship Caroline on Nov 18, 1909. The residence is transcribed as S. Fiacomo but is more liked S. Giacomo (San Giacomo) but I could be wrong. All his other US records just say birthplace Italy. Not sure if this will help but his US SSN was 013-10-8430.

The reason I am stuck: he came over by himself. I most importantly just want to know whether or not my translation of that location is correct and would also like to find out the names of his siblings/parents if possible.

I feel bad asking for someone to do the research for me, so if nobody can help in a short period of time... could someone point me in the right direction?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian Heritage Help

Post by Tessa78 »

projectfinale wrote:Alright, I have done tons of research but am stuck at this point. It does not help that the legibility of the Ship Manifest is difficult, but here is what I have.

Nicola Angelini (Born: October 11th, 1878). He was arrived in America via Ellis Island on the ship Caroline on Nov 18, 1909. The residence is transcribed as S. Fiacomo but is more liked S. Giacomo (San Giacomo) but I could be wrong. All his other US records just say birthplace Italy. Not sure if this will help but his US SSN was 013-10-8430.

The reason I am stuck: he came over by himself. I most importantly just want to know whether or not my translation of that location is correct and would also like to find out the names of his siblings/parents if possible.

I feel bad asking for someone to do the research for me, so if nobody can help in a short period of time... could someone point me in the right direction?
Taking a look at the ship manifest, I would agree that the residence is SAN GIACOMO :-)
It is written again in the last column of page two of the manifest under "Place of Birth"...

There are several "San Giacomo" comuni in Italy...
San Giacomo degli Schiavoni, province Campobasso, region Molise
San Giacomo delle Segnate, province Mantova, region Lombardy
San Giacomo Filippo, province Sondrio, region Lombardy
San Giacomo Vercellese, province Vercelli, region Piedmont

I believe he lists "Spolato" (Spoleto?) as his place of birth on his WWII Registration Card :?
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... id=8098256

FYI - A Marriage Listing in Massachusetts?

name: Nicola Angelina
titles & terms:
event: Marriage
event date: 29 Dec 1912
event place: Brockton, , Massachusetts
marital status:
race:
birth date: 1879
birthplace: , , Italy
marriage registration year:
marriage registration place: Brockton, , Massachusetts
estimated birth year: 1879
father: Vincenzo Angelina
father's titles & terms:
mother: Assunta Catalucci
mother's titles & terms:
spouse: Vincenzo Tirone (probably Vincenza)
spouse's titles & terms:
spouse's race:
spouse's marital status:
spouse's father: Guiseppi Tirone
spouse's father's titles & terms:
spouse's mother: Grugia D Camillo (probably Grazia)
spouse's mother's titles & terms:
record number: 1524
film number: 2409944
digital folder number: 4329369
image number: 00100
number of images: 1

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Tessa78 wrote:I believe he lists "Spolato" (Spoleto?) as his place of birth on his WWII Registration Card
San Giacomo is also an hamlet/fraction of the Spoleto town:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Giacomo_(Spoleto)

Laura
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

pink67 wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:I believe he lists "Spolato" (Spoleto?) as his place of birth on his WWII Registration Card
San Giacomo is also an hamlet/fraction of the Spoleto town:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Giacomo_(Spoleto)

Laura
THANKS, Laura! :D
Great connection!!!

T.
projectfinale

Post by projectfinale »

Wow, you are amazing... I need to step up my research game. I forgot that I did see that Spoleto part on his WWII card. I could not find that marriage certificate though, probably because it seems the last names are wrong.

Surprisingly, everyone pronounces my last name that way. I don't understand how you get an 'a' sound out of an 'i' but oh well haha.

Thanks for your help though. I will try and dig deeper with that information!
projectfinale

Post by projectfinale »

I apologize for the double post but new information has been brought to my attention.

Apparently, Nicola (my great grandfather) had a brother and sister (Peter and Angelina, respectively). Supposedly, Peter had 4 boys and a girl.

They all stayed in Italy while Nicola Angelini left for America. Nicola's last place of residence was San Giacomo di Spoleto, but I would think that they might have left since 1909.

Any help or point in the right direction would be wonderful.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You may wish to write directly to the comune of Spoleto to request records.
Specify that your ancestors were from the frazione of San Giacomo di Spoleto!

Address:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Sede:Via Antonio Busetti n. 36
06049 Spoleto (PG)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.